HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 09, 2012, 10:42 AM
DX5e fatal flaw- PM me!!!!
United States, NY, Cortland
Joined Sep 2010
2,839 Posts
Oh, and my crosswind landings today were horrible! I haven't gotten back in the groove enough after an enforced break from flying to be able to focus on the finer points of keeping it over my narrow runway.
CNY_Dave is offline Find More Posts by CNY_Dave
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 09, 2012, 08:34 PM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia, Ventspils pilsēta, Ventspils
Joined Jan 2010
8,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierGuy View Post
How to eliminate landing bounce? Land the right way - on its belly!
Dang !! wanted to say that !!!! I was going to post " Remove the wheels ! "

solentlife is offline Find More Posts by solentlife
Old Nov 09, 2012, 08:51 PM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia, Ventspils pilsēta, Ventspils
Joined Jan 2010
8,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNY_Dave View Post
Oh, and my crosswind landings today were horrible! I haven't gotten back in the groove enough after an enforced break from flying to be able to focus on the finer points of keeping it over my narrow runway.
No doubt you saw my other post about donating a runway to my flying pals ... 25m long by 1.4m wide ... Now that will take some practice to land on !! Take-offs - that's fine ... but boy is that 1.4m narrow when on finals !

Nigel
solentlife is offline Find More Posts by solentlife
Old Nov 12, 2012, 10:50 AM
DX5e fatal flaw- PM me!!!!
United States, NY, Cortland
Joined Sep 2010
2,839 Posts
Mine isn't that narrow, but it does seem wide when there's no crosswind.

Also an issue is that 75% of the runway is 'below-grade' a bit, so if you are aimed at the sides at all you need to decide to put it down hard or power-up and climb a bit just to get above-grade.
CNY_Dave is offline Find More Posts by CNY_Dave
Old Nov 12, 2012, 05:07 PM
Looking for time to fly some
Italy, Lombardy, Varese
Joined Mar 2009
52 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hipperson View Post

Sorry to ask but what stage are you at in your flying? Do you have an instructor or are you going it alone? If really in the primary stage are you flying on just rudder, elevator, motor or full four channel including ailerons?

sorry for the delay in answering. I've been out few days.
Unfortunately no instructor and limited time to spend at the field where there are mainly heli flyers.
Just started this late August with the planes.
I'm flying with a trainer, Jamara Cub J3, 1 meter wingspan, 3 cells lipo. I can take off, fly all the battery with some looping, large and small turn, and few things more. She has flaperons, rudder, elevator and throttle. Really easy to control and fly. No issue in landing even, a part the bouncing.
Few difficulties more with my other bird, a scratchbuilt Ugly Stick, that after lot of crashes and repairs which let me learn how to fly, is now much less self stable, but even much more fun to control. She's a 90cm wingspan on a 2S, 1400Kv motor and a 10X3,8 prop.

Still, i'm learning really a lot reading here... Thanks
macchp is offline Find More Posts by macchp
Old Nov 29, 2012, 11:30 PM
Joined Oct 2012
20 Posts
flare low enough, land slow enough=
no bounce
GLOW POWER is offline Find More Posts by GLOW POWER
Old Jun 11, 2014, 10:23 AM
Joined Oct 2010
122 Posts
Just land it with a bit more attitude (spelled "slower") Don't make it more complicated than it is. (The ground is arriving before the airplane is ready for it)
jamboF4 is online now Find More Posts by jamboF4
Old Jun 12, 2014, 09:54 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jun 2007
2,011 Posts
Flaperons. Everyone's gotta have them. Are you using those when landing? I have 3 planes with flaps, let alone flaperons, and with 2 of them I won't even use them if there's even a little wind. The planes will float too much and bounce at landing. The wing loading on most of our models is so light already. The 3rd model is the 8 and a half pound E-flite F -4 Phantom. It needs them.

Most of our planes, and most likely your Cub, don't need flaps or especially flaperons. They can cause more trouble than they're worth.
xmech2k is online now Find More Posts by xmech2k
Old Jun 12, 2014, 04:03 PM
Built For Comfort
South Central Texas
Joined Aug 2009
691 Posts
I've found the best way to eliminate landing bounce is to release up elevator either at the point of touchdown or just before it.

TP
Tepid Pilot is offline Find More Posts by Tepid Pilot
Old Jun 15, 2014, 04:33 AM
crash expert
New Zealand, Canterbury, Christchurch
Joined Apr 2014
279 Posts
I did my first landings with wheels today!
OK that sounds odd. I have done 4 landings with a Dart XS (no u/c)
then today I maidened my Lazy Bee, got 4 landings in (controlled) The first two had bounce, the second two were perfect. Im not sure what I did except taking it slow and flying itinto the ground.
I did do a lot of approaches at 6 feet and 3 feet, some were non intentional (too high or too fast on approach).

However I did it! Thanks for the advice on this thread!
felixx is offline Find More Posts by felixx
Last edited by felixx; Jun 15, 2014 at 04:34 AM. Reason: edit: Im no expert I have landed 8 times on purpose and about 15 times by accident!
Old Jun 15, 2014, 09:15 AM
Wilson, NC
Joined Aug 2009
223 Posts
1. After I realized I was having many crashes due to stalling during the landing, I did some heavy studying of what was happening. I was mainly crashing when I was landing at an angle to the left/right of the runway due to a cross wind. Since normal depth perception is only about 17 feet, and I always landed further than 17 feet away, I suddenly realized that when I landed at an angle I did not know where the plane was in height, relative to the runway, since I did not know how far away it was. In addition, when I land at an angle, I completely lose my sense of "rate of decent" (I don't know how fast/slow I am approaching the ground). Furthermore, with the plane coming in at an angle, I completely lose my sense of ground speed of the plane. I addition, coming in at angle completely destroys my sense of "angle of flare" because of the geometry of what I am seeing. I searched for a solution and this is what I do now: I only land right-to-left or left-to-right. If the crosswind is terrible I will point the nose a little into the wind. On every landing, I do my best to touch down directly in front of me as I am facing directly across the runway (at a right angle to the runway length). By landing in front of me, I have a better and constant view of the plane attitude, ground speed, rate of decent, and flare angle. For those that wish to point out that the plane cares nothing about ground speed, only air speed, I point out that we fly our planes without the instrumentation to know air speed, and instead substitute other input to arrive at a safe landing.
villapilote is offline Find More Posts by villapilote