Old Apr 12, 2014, 01:21 AM
Australia, VIC
Joined Dec 2011
1,108 Posts
Yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigrun View Post
Very tasty old4570.

I agree they are inarguably a hefty piece of kit and look like a brick, but begeezuz don't they go like stink! Most of you will know or remember the late (Brian) Burke 'Burkie' who also had several of these, literally, screamers.

A since lost touch with another friend I used to fly with at REMAC more than 20 years ago (if you read this Ian L please PM me) who had these in Las Gatas at about the time Russian design and their combat engines were just coming to the fore. The Italian and the Spaniard lost nothing to them at the time, and the Cipolla's longevity and reliability was then superior to all but the best of Russian/Ukrainan metallurgy. Cipolla brothers could really make very nice engines even if they didn't take on locally.

Sadly I don't have any of those button headed AAC (as I recall?) combat versions of those Masters, but I do have X4 examples of their lighter and even more powerful successor the AAC 2.5 RE Combat version, one of which has sub-port induction.

OMG! And what a difference that makes to their already impressive output! Now if only the Cipolla brothers had thought to angle that exhaust to better accommodate its placement in a 'Russian'! Presumably they were still in racing mindset mode?

I also have several examples of Cipolla's Master 2.5 STD ABC (same case). Inarguably they were mediocrity personified. Don't go anything like the stinkin' hot Combat version.
I always wanted the RE Combat engine , thought it might make a good Goodyear engine .. Also the TR engine was nice .. Bit rare though , not sure if the Hunting brothers had one for a short while ..

The side exhaust . I would need to check the timings first before running it , I dont mind modifying a engine .

So many engines , so little money !
old4570 is offline Find More Posts by old4570
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 13, 2014, 05:54 AM
Bilbao - Spain
Joined Jun 2005
88 Posts
Quote:
So many engines , so little money !
amen to this

regards
sukoi is online now Find More Posts by sukoi
Old Apr 16, 2014, 01:19 PM
Portland OR USA
Joined Aug 2010
98 Posts
One of a kind.

Well here's one you haven't seen before. It was constructed from some assorted parts left to me when a friend passed away.

The cylinder is a rear-port Bunch Mighty Midget of about 1936 vintage. It originally had an integral head, which had been sawed off. The piston/con rod is from a side-port Bunch of some variety, but different from the crankshaft. The rod big end was bushed to fit the crankpin. The cylinder was turned 90 degrees, and intake and exhaust manifolds silver soldered on.

The crankcase is a 1040s vintage and was modified slightly to accommodate the crankshaft and timer, which is of unknown origin. Operating with a drill-press and hand tools I hack-sawed the head from a piece of aluminum I had laying around. I silver soldered a brass plate to the cylinder top and tapped hold down screws through it and the top fin. It runs good and will eventually be installed in a control liner, I hope.
Hye's is offline Find More Posts by Hye's
Old Apr 16, 2014, 09:29 PM
Australia, VIC
Joined Dec 2011
1,108 Posts
Love it ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hye's View Post
Well here's one you haven't seen before. It was constructed from some assorted parts left to me when a friend passed away.

The cylinder is a rear-port Bunch Mighty Midget of about 1936 vintage. It originally had an integral head, which had been sawed off. The piston/con rod is from a side-port Bunch of some variety, but different from the crankshaft. The rod big end was bushed to fit the crankpin. The cylinder was turned 90 degrees, and intake and exhaust manifolds silver soldered on.

The crankcase is a 1040s vintage and was modified slightly to accommodate the crankshaft and timer, which is of unknown origin. Operating with a drill-press and hand tools I hack-sawed the head from a piece of aluminum I had laying around. I silver soldered a brass plate to the cylinder top and tapped hold down screws through it and the top fin. It runs good and will eventually be installed in a control liner, I hope.
Thank you , just love it .. Some serious DIY ,
Old Apr 28, 2014, 12:36 AM
gcb
Joined Sep 2008
136 Posts
You did a fantastic job!

George
gcb is offline Find More Posts by gcb
Old May 08, 2014, 12:02 PM
Jef
Belgium, Flanders, Hulshout
Joined May 2014
15 Posts
Here are some pictures of my home built Owen Mate 2cc Diesel
Jef is offline Find More Posts by Jef
Old May 09, 2014, 02:59 PM
Joined Apr 2011
25 Posts
Here is Meranda and my collection.

All are earmarked for planes.

Annette
AnnetteE is offline Find More Posts by AnnetteE
Old May 09, 2014, 05:50 PM
"Unnecessary Necessity"
Canada, QC, Quebec City
Joined Sep 2006
5,811 Posts
Some nice exotic diesels!
coriolan is offline Find More Posts by coriolan
Old May 10, 2014, 10:16 AM
Australia, VIC
Joined Dec 2011
1,108 Posts
Yeah , Annette you have some interesting engines there ...

Jef , nice work with the Owen Mate 2cc ...
Old May 10, 2014, 03:40 PM
United States, CA, Gardena
Joined Oct 2004
1,072 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jef View Post
Here are some pictures of my home built Owen Mate 2cc Diesel
This is very nice! I have a Mate kit, but I'm afraid to make the first cut! Have you shown this to David Owen? Post in the RCG Vintage & Oldtimer- diesel. David is sabre250

Norm
Norm Furutani is online now Find More Posts by Norm Furutani
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Forget The Kids!
Old May 11, 2014, 03:39 AM
Jef
Belgium, Flanders, Hulshout
Joined May 2014
15 Posts
Thanks to" old 4570" and "Norm Furutani"

Yes Norm , I have emailed photos of the engine to David Owen and he was very satisfied with the result . There is also a building report on a Dutch forum with many photos, unfortunately for you the language is in Dutch but it is with many photos ,
http://www.modelbouwforum.nl/forums/...eselmotor.html
I'm working on another engine where the design is based on a Czech motor from 1943, the Alko Super 14 ,
http://www.modelbouwforum.nl/forums/...ouw-motor.html
If you have any questions related to the construction , you may contact me and if I can I will answer them

Regards Jef
Jef is offline Find More Posts by Jef
Old May 11, 2014, 11:24 AM
Canada, ON, Cottam
Joined Jan 2012
1,501 Posts
I just right click on translate, and it comes out as pretty close to english for the most part.
aspeed is offline Find More Posts by aspeed
Old Oct 07, 2014, 09:23 PM
DJS Johnny
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Aug 2007
240 Posts
K15

Quote:
Originally Posted by old4570 View Post
The Kosmic 15

Ive had two of these , A NIB Speed version , which I let go , and then this one came my way , and I snapped it up ..

Was in bad shape when I got it [ internally ] , but I was able to find enough parts to do a re-build , and its fantastic internally now , still a little tight and needs running in [ just a little draggy , 15 - 30 minutes on the bench it should be sweet ]

The Kosmic was not half bad , but a huge mistake by the manufacturer was to make it hard to remove the piston/con-rod assembly from the case , a real PITA .
And for some reason they refused to fix the situation , so engines that were easier to work on , went on . [ We do like to tinker ] , and the Kosmic faded from History . The Supertigre G20/15 and the Rossi became mainstream competition engines + several others .
The Kosmic 15 was a great engine. However, there were a few things that required attention. The problem of piston/rod removal is really a bearing location problem. The depth of the bearing seats was not controlled very well. Thus, the rod was not under the center of the piston in many cases. This could be solved by carefully measuring the bearing locations (front and rear). Then precision thickness shims are made to relocate the shaft so the rod journal is under the center of the piston. This solved the installation problem. I found every engine to be unique. The nylon rear rotor was problematic just like the K&B 15R. Swelling and binding. This was easily solved by machining down the crankpin to fit a Super Tigre rotor and replacing the entire back plate with a Super Tigre. The head was not a very good design. A homemade copy of a Super Tigre 15 worked very well. This may sound like a lot of work. In reality, not so much. However, the performance was spectacular. I chromed all my engines. The X15 was as good an engine and a whole lot less work.

Johnny
johnshannon is offline Find More Posts by johnshannon