SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 27, 2012, 07:20 AM
ParkScaleModels
United States, PA, Loganville
Joined Feb 2002
4,216 Posts
While I won't call it a true maiden, I did a couple of successful test hops this morning down in the parking garage where I work. Basically it was straight ahead with a little bit of banking. It seemed very stable and the controls were very responsive. I can't wait until I really get to fly it somewhere (just need to find someplace!).
zbrubaker is offline Find More Posts by zbrubaker
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Shop remodeling continues...
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 27, 2012, 12:37 PM
Wellington, Florida
Joined Jun 2004
215 Posts
Some place with no wind? What's that?
Can't wait for a video & full maiden report.
MarksRC is offline Find More Posts by MarksRC
Old Jan 28, 2012, 05:44 PM
ParkScaleModels
Joined Feb 2002
4,216 Posts
The micro Monocoupe has been maidened! It was less than ideal conditions, but I deemed it safe enough. There was a slight breeze, so I got bounced around a bit, but it handled great considering the conditions! I spent most of the flight between 1/2 - 2/3 throttle. I went with the Citabria prop over the P-51 prop because I thought I'd get too much torque from the P-51 prop.

Here's the raw video because I thought everyone would like to see it. I'll work on editing it next week at work since I have Windows 7 and the movie maker can import .MOV files and it looks a whole lot better then the version I have on my home Windows XP computer.

Micro Monocoupe for Parkzone UM gear by Park Scale Models (2 min 15 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 28, 2012, 09:31 PM
Editor - Flying Models
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2003
2,441 Posts
Looks very well behaved, nicely done Zeke!

Thayer
Thayer is offline Find More Posts by Thayer
Old Jan 28, 2012, 09:44 PM
Wellington, Florida
Joined Jun 2004
215 Posts
Very nice. Thanks for the video. Love the looks of the Monocoupe. Can wait to do some touch-n-go's on a calm evening with this one.
MarksRC is offline Find More Posts by MarksRC
Old Jan 28, 2012, 09:50 PM
United States, CA, Ukiah
Joined Dec 2011
793 Posts
You got my attention! Subscribed and looking forward to a kit or 5.
Mendo is offline Find More Posts by Mendo
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 29, 2012, 10:30 AM
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
7,061 Posts
I'll be waiting. Note my avatar. I've had a couple of big ones, now I'm looking for a small one!

Pete
PeteSchug is offline Find More Posts by PeteSchug
Old Jan 30, 2012, 01:31 AM
Closed Account
Joined Jul 2009
745 Posts
Must have !!
kleinaberfein is offline Find More Posts by kleinaberfein
Old Jan 30, 2012, 08:44 AM
ParkScaleModels
Joined Feb 2002
4,216 Posts
I put together a edited video with the first and second flights. On the second flight, I added in a little bit of nose weight since it seemed to be a little tail heavy.

I have a beta builder lined up who will be able to start the Monocoupe as soon as he gets it (I'll be sending it out this week). As long as the feedback is good and there are no problems found and no changes to make, I'll be making kits available as soon as he's done.

-Zeke

Park Scale Models Wisp series Micro Monocoupe Maiden Flight (3 min 20 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 30, 2012, 09:01 AM
O'Fallon, Mo.
Joined Apr 2010
566 Posts
SWEeeeeet! Count me in.
BluIIs is offline Find More Posts by BluIIs
Old Jan 31, 2012, 01:45 AM
Closed Account
Joined Jul 2009
745 Posts
Finger on button, CC in hand !!
Old Jan 31, 2012, 02:32 PM
Joined Apr 2004
7,061 Posts
Thinking of color schemes.

The m'coupe has always looked like a tough little plane and it has a fantastic history. It was also the plane the Fred Astaire flew down to Rio in.

Count me in for certain.

Pete
Old Feb 01, 2012, 04:07 AM
Closed Account
Joined Jul 2009
745 Posts
Hello Zeke,

...the second flight looked far more stable after the addition of weight, could you reveal how much weight was added to the nose and could this possibly be accomplished by lightening the tail structure just a bit? Might it be possible to make this as a clip wing version? I had the 36 inch span version with the full wings and would order this next time with the clip wing as well.

Jens
Old Feb 01, 2012, 07:05 AM
ParkScaleModels
Joined Feb 2002
4,216 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kleinaberfein View Post
Hello Zeke,

...the second flight looked far more stable after the addition of weight, could you reveal how much weight was added to the nose and could this possibly be accomplished by lightening the tail structure just a bit? Might it be possible to make this as a clip wing version? I had the 36 inch span version with the full wings and would order this next time with the clip wing as well.

Jens
I think I added about 4g. Unfortunately there's really no way to lighten the tail structure. All that's back there is the fuselage sides, top and bottom and the stabilizers, so there's nothing to be removed unless you start cutting holes in the structure.

A clipwing would certainly be possible and I'd be happy to do it for you. I did some quick calculations and the wing loading goes from 4.5oz/sq.ft to 7oz/sq.ft (1373 g/m^2 to 2135 g/m^2). It'll fly a little faster, but not unreasonably so.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 01, 2012, 07:23 AM
Joined Apr 2004
7,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zbrubaker View Post
A clipwing would certainly be possible and I'd be happy to do it for you. I did some quick calculations and the wing loading goes from 4.5oz/sq.ft to 7oz/sq.ft (1373 g/m^2 to 2135 g/m^2). It'll fly a little faster, but not unreasonably so.
I'd like one of each!

Not kidding. I think I'd build the clipped wing first and use the color scheme of Li'l Butch hanging in The Smithsonian. A friend took a bunch of pictures of it.

I've got the gear all ready to put in! Not from crashed UM's either, I've still got a half a dozen in pretty good condition. Every time new UM gear comes out I buy it but never quite get around to sticking it in a plane.

Pete