SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 12, 2014, 03:10 PM
BabyBootLegger
United States, CA, Alameda
Joined Nov 2010
656 Posts
Have you considered using GM Volt batteries?
The 16KWr battery pack can be purchased second-hand from the auto breakers and disassembled and reassembled as a much lighter pack, without the housing and water cooling jackets.
A second-hand battery pack is only $1,000-1,500.00 in America, at the auto breakers or what Americans call the auto recyclers.
sunworksco is offline Find More Posts by sunworksco
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 03, 2014, 07:39 PM
Dundas, Ontario, Canada.
Joined Sep 2001
777 Posts
Any progress ?

Hi Guys ,

I'm now the proud owner of an uncovered , never flown Lazair . I've been interested in electrifying this design for a long time . It seems that progress has stalled ..... There has been so much good work done so far and it would be a shame to not continue .

Marc
747drvr is offline Find More Posts by 747drvr
Old Jun 03, 2014, 08:48 PM
Central California
Joined Dec 2006
2,584 Posts
Congrats Marc. Too bad your so dang far away. Would be glad to donate time to help build if I could fly it once. Ok maybe twice.

Im really thinking we are on the cusp of some higher tech power cell technology. Im hoping for double the capacity. Not necessarily higher energy density but lighter plate materials and even lower IR meaning even higher charge rates if we can figure out how to supply the chargers.We may have to redesign for larger/reconfigured battery bays if we want more runtime.
aerocal is offline Find More Posts by aerocal
Old Jun 03, 2014, 09:26 PM
Dundas, Ontario, Canada.
Joined Sep 2001
777 Posts
I don't want to have to reinvent the wheel and would love to buy a turnkey power set up . I'm not too concerned about motors and ESC choices . It's safe , efficient batteries and BMS that are more the question . Dale has done some great work so far with that .

Where in California are you ? I plan to fly my RV 4 out that way starting late next week .

Marc
747drvr is offline Find More Posts by 747drvr
Old Jun 04, 2014, 04:46 AM
Central California
Joined Dec 2006
2,584 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 747drvr View Post
I don't want to have to reinvent the wheel and would love to buy a turnkey power set up . I'm not too concerned about motors and ESC choices . It's safe , efficient batteries and BMS that are more the question . Dale has done some great work so far with that .

Where in California are you ? I plan to fly my RV 4 out that way starting late next week .

Marc
Pretty much right in the middle.San Joaquin valley East of Fresno near the edge of the mountains.
Its getting hot down here. Close to 100f days now.I would definitely plan to stay at altitude and or near the coast.
aerocal is offline Find More Posts by aerocal
Old Oct 29, 2014, 06:27 PM
korat Thailand
Joined Mar 2010
10 Posts
KiloOne what advantage of direct drive and belt drive propeller. I like to use belt drive for large diameter it can give a lot of thrust. But may have some power loss . What good for your study in this case.
NS RC is offline Find More Posts by NS RC