HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 11, 2012, 07:32 AM
Zurich
Joined Apr 2006
3,801 Posts
I have to admit I've been mostly flying my several Avitrons (rather than helis) for my bird lately. But today I took out two of my nice 5888s to make sure they still worked properly and to recharge to 80% [optimal for storage]. Both needed minor tweaking to make absolutely perfect again, one even req. using a hairdrier to reduce the bowed spanwise curvature ["elliptical dihedral"] of one blade each, top & bottom rotors, as well as then re-adjusting the root coning angles of each of the alu hinge-sides of those blades, of course!!

PRECISE Super-Smooth "sewing machine"/"Swiss watches" again ....!

a real joy!

Lee

Kiki Flying with R/C Avitron in Mall (0 min 12 sec)
xlcrlee is offline Find More Posts by xlcrlee
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 15, 2012, 04:21 PM
Sir Crashalot
Joined Oct 2011
2,266 Posts
The Avitron seems like a cool bird. Wish the price would come down some, I'd like to get one. Nice that they allow live birds in the mall where you are, but where are all the shoppers?
stonecutter is offline Find More Posts by stonecutter
Old Oct 16, 2012, 07:03 AM
Zurich
Joined Apr 2006
3,801 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecutter View Post
The Avitron seems like a cool bird. Wish the price would come down some, I'd like to get one. Nice that they allow live birds in the mall where you are, but where are all the shoppers?
It was SINday ....!
all shops closed, only passing-through people

[Avitron is a work of technical art & LOVE by deRuymbeke; my V2.0 is even better than V1 in vid]
Old Oct 16, 2012, 07:11 AM
Zurich
Joined Apr 2006
3,801 Posts
servo throw & Tx/Rx combo

Servo-throw is not determined by the servo itself, but rather by the Rx & Tx PCB's [& stick-potentiometers]!

I now found that 2 of my 5888 Tx's gave ≈15% more servo throw than 2 other 5888 Tx's .... each temp. bound to the same Rx/heli!

Good to know ....

Lee
Old Oct 17, 2012, 09:11 AM
Zurich
Joined Apr 2006
3,801 Posts
personal note: Avitron vs heli

I really like to fly my fast, very well-adjusted 5888s. And I like the way they look.

I am not enthralled by piloting a small R/C bird! Even IF it's a very good one [Avitron is a technical jewel, of far greater engineering & prdn. quality than the 5888, for ex.]. However, most people have by now seen little helicopters fly around and are no longer amazed by them. But onlookers seem to be utterly & truly fascinated watching the Avitron fly. As are ALL small children, dogs .... and my little bird, Kiki!

Further, although Kiki has learned to quickly fly under and otherwise bypass my 5888s, and definitely not to fly in formation with them, he still often gets "too close for comfort" in my view. It is a very risky thing for him.

But my Avitrons [I now have 2 V1s and one greatly improved V2.0] are 1/5 his weight with approx. the same wingspan, have very soft wings, and if he gets too close the Avitron will get knocked down or put off course .... and that is much safer for him.

Lee

P.S. Up in the sky the Avitron V2.0 actually looks like and seems to fly like a real bird.

P.P.S. I already have a real bird -- Kiki! -- whom I enjoy & love > the Avitrons are for him .... And he not only has a better sense of humor than the Avi's [for ex., landing on me and teasingly telling me, "You are stupi', stupi' ...", otherwise telling me nice things and only calling me stupid, not "stupi' ", when I actually am]], but he can totally outfly all these R/C toys!!
Old Oct 17, 2012, 09:16 AM
Zurich
Joined Apr 2006
3,801 Posts
deleted double-post

blame this computer
Last edited by xlcrlee; Oct 18, 2012 at 09:28 AM.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 12:16 PM
Sir Crashalot
Joined Oct 2011
2,266 Posts
Too bad the Avitron's are around $125 shipped to the US, a little out of my budget. And doesn't seem like there are any Chinese-made clones of this one (at the moment any way).
Old Oct 18, 2012, 09:34 AM
Zurich
Joined Apr 2006
3,801 Posts
Quote:
Too bad the Avitron's are around $125 shipped to the US, a little out of my budget. And doesn't seem like there are any Chinese-made clones of this one (at the moment any way).
1. I don't know the US cost. Did you check with Sky High? [orni forum]

2. What is great about this item is its very high quality. Even if an illegal clone were copied exactly, it is very unlikely to approach the Avitron's prdn values >
"You get Nothing for Nothing" [Physics: 0 = 0]

Lee
Old Nov 01, 2012, 10:14 AM
Zurich
Joined Apr 2006
3,801 Posts
Quote:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1665888&page=5
see Post #67
Old Nov 01, 2012, 12:47 PM
Sir Crashalot
Joined Oct 2011
2,266 Posts
Thanks Lee, his price of $99 plus shipping is in the ball park of what I expected. Now I just need to come up with an excuse why I must have this toy.
Old Nov 02, 2012, 09:34 AM
Zurich
Joined Apr 2006
3,801 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Lee, his price of $99 plus shipping is in the ball park of what I expected. Now I just need to come up with an excuse why I must have this toy.
I have 5 super-functioning 5888s and now 3 Avi's.
The Avis are safer to fly with Kiki, but they don't hover or fly sidewards or backwards.

Lee
Old Nov 15, 2012, 09:05 AM
Zurich
Joined Apr 2006
3,801 Posts
proof of concept

The one of my 5888s that has almost 2x the normal servo-throw (PCB mutation > QC!!) and flies on low rate like a normal one on high rate, needing to be flown VERY carefully! .... is now rock-solid super-stable and still hyper-fast & hyper-maneuverable (like a slalom skier).

It now has 3mm upper rotor and 2mm lower tip-play, and about 1+ neg. coning angle ("anhedral"). That is, the upper & lower surfaces of the blades, viewing the rotor disc edge-on, are equally respectively neg. & pos., meaning that the mean chord line is slightly negative!! [Of course, the upper rotor is necessarily slightly less negative!.> minimizing unwanted rotor interaction]

It works! NO reduction in performance [rather an increase in power/lift as the effective area is increased by flattening the discs], with a HUGE increase in stability, like flying through an autopilot with rate gyros on all 4 axes!

SUPER ....!

Lee
Old Dec 06, 2012, 04:11 AM
Zurich
Joined Apr 2006
3,801 Posts
.... has everyone broken and/or stopped flying theirs?

[mine are usually blasting around in the air every day]

L
Old Dec 09, 2012, 06:25 PM
Sir Crashalot
Joined Oct 2011
2,266 Posts
I still fly mine occasionally. But the battery seems to be getting old and tired.

5888 in the backyard (2 min 25 sec)
Old Dec 11, 2012, 03:43 AM
We can rebuild it!
United Kingdom, Wales, Swffryd
Joined Apr 2010
3,686 Posts
I kinds returned mine a little with parts I had to hand but it's nowhere near smooth, it's been in storage for nearly a year now.

I still just about resisting the temptation to use its main board to make a simple throttle, rudder and elevator plane.
djdavies83 is online now Find More Posts by djdavies83