HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 26, 2011, 03:20 PM
Joined Apr 2011
1,613 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tselling View Post
The swashplate on my 4F200 recently self-destructed. I bought it used and it had problems with a couple of linkage balls being loose (partially stripped) among other problems. Anyway I tried supergluing the balls before screwing back in but one let loose (luckily as I was spinning it up before take off). I never found the link ball or link rod. Anyway I picked up a complete and assembled V200D03 swash, rotor head, blade grips, even main shaft for $50 shipped on eBay. It turned out to be a drop in replacement for the 4F200. I adjusted blade pitch and leveled the swash and test hovered it inside (5 ft square area) and seems to work fine. So now I have a sort of V200D03 but with a belt driven 3 rotor tail and RX2618V radio. It also is using tail fins from a CB180Z (had to be slightly modified but what I had lying around). Now I need to know what to call it? Anyone got a name for this beast? It should be fun to fly. My current favorite heli is a V200D01. Will see if this one is more fun (just learning CP though).
That's my next project. Installing the 2 blade mast in my 4F200.
Are you using the stock servos?
I would call it a 4F200/DO3.
It should be more stable in the wind than the V200D01 since it's a CP heli.
Keep us up to date on your progress.
clearprop88 is offline Find More Posts by clearprop88
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 26, 2011, 03:25 PM
1 year flyin' & lovin' it!
United States, CA, Covina
Joined Aug 2011
470 Posts
I like that two blade mod! Very nice! Let us know how it flies, I know that Walkera has the V200D03 spinning at a high RPM RHS. It is a 3S setup, whereas the 4F200 is only 2S.

Happy flying!
AB
OldGuyHelifly11 is offline Find More Posts by OldGuyHelifly11
Old Nov 26, 2011, 08:05 PM
Joined Oct 2011
4 Posts
I took my 4FV200D03 outside today. I used a couple of 2S packs, the 1500mah and an 1800mah. It flew very nicely for me. I am nowhere near doing 3D stuff so I cannot comment on that. I accidentally bought a 3S pack but I have not been brave enough to try it. Has anyone else used a 3S with stock ESC and motor for a 4F200? clearprop88, I believe I am using the stock servos but since I got it used I cannot be 100% sure. I did replace the receiver with a RX2618V since I heard it was alot better than the RX2612V.

It does seem strange to me that the 2 bladed version would use a 3S and the 3 bladed version would use 2S. Shouildn't that be reversed as far as power needs?

On another note, I don't know if the head speed of my V200D01 is getting lower or just sounds/feels slower after flying the 4FV200D03.
tselling is offline Find More Posts by tselling
Last edited by tselling; Nov 27, 2011 at 12:02 AM.
Old Nov 27, 2011, 05:13 AM
Australia
Joined Jun 2010
1,611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tselling View Post
It does seem strange to me that the 2 bladed version would use a 3S and the 3 bladed version would use 2S. Shouildn't that be reversed as far as power needs?
I think running 2S allows you too keep the weight down and run a higher Mah rating offering a longer flight. Collective pitch heli's are running a more constant head speed so they dont need the grunt pull out power that a FP heli needs.

Ive got a little HK250GT on 3s 800mah and the flight time is quite short. On 2s I could probably extend that without adding weight.

My thoeries only, I could be wrong

ps- I think 3s has been done if you look way back into this thread. I'm not sure you would want to crank the 4F200 that hard anyhow as its head speed even on 2s was a bit crazy. I used to limit my throttle curve a bit to stop it shaking appart.
Bravo47 is offline Find More Posts by Bravo47
Old Dec 05, 2011, 06:50 PM
E10
Joined Aug 2011
65 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wowhobbies View Post
I believe for guys like you who know how to fix up a heli can buy cheaper helis overseas. Just want to give another perspective for most people who do not have the repair skill and the heli arrives unflyable. I am quite curious if an oversea vendor would pay the $50 to ship the repaired heli back on top of the $50 a customer would spend sending it back. That is a total of about $100 for 2 way shipping. No pun intended and not trying to attack any oversea dealers but how would they take care of the situation other than just sending parts back and forth guessing which part is defective? I do think you made a very good purchase given your situation but I want to bring light to those who are not so good in repair or do not want to wait a week for the heli or replacement parts. I have never purchased a heli from overseas since we sell them, so I am very curious, LOL.

Cheers,
Jonathan
WowHobbies.com

Just throwin' this out there...

I bought a 4F180 BNF from Wowhobbies about a week ago and on the first flight (which was going great btw), even after close inspection that everything was bolted together, a ball stud stripped/pulled out of the swashplate in flight and caused a pretty bad crash. Damaged all but one main blade, damaged a tail blade, broke a link rod on the head, stripped the main gear and broke a tooth off of one of the tail gears and may have damaged the tail servo which was freaking out after the crash....servo seems to function ok for now though.

I repaired the blades with CA, replaced the broken gears(extras came in the box), CA'd the link rod back together and the ball back into the stripped hole (prob shoulda used JB weld for this) just to get it back in the air to test for other problems. I also tightened and loctited a few other loose screws/studs in the head and tail. Well it seems to fly ok now, but I wanted to know if WOW offers any kind of part support or anything when this happens so fast (i.e. first flight). Kinda expected to get a few flights in before parts started falling off. Btw...I did want to say it is very nice to have a hobby shop much more local to buy these birds at...especially at such a great price...so thanks for that.
E10 is offline Find More Posts by E10
Old Dec 05, 2011, 07:54 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,335 Posts
E10, this isn't going to help much now, I'm sorry you had to learn the hard way -- the first thing you do when you get a new Walkera is remove all the fasteners and re-Loctite them, because the fasteners -- especially the swash hardware -- is notorious for being or coming loose. And the aluminum used is very soft too, which can make it even worse when something not only comes loose, but then pulls out, stripping the threads.
tracknoob is offline Find More Posts by tracknoob
Old Dec 05, 2011, 08:49 PM
Australia
Joined Jun 2010
1,611 Posts
I think your tempting fate E10 with both repairing swash and blades. I would replace both. Trex250 blades are a cheaper option if your prepared to make up a spacer as they are suited to a narrower blade grip. I went through 3-5 swash plates during the time I owned a 4F200. Makes sure you check your servo's after a crash as they get damaged in any impact more often than not.

Mick
Old Dec 05, 2011, 09:11 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,335 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo47 View Post
Makes sure you check your servo's after a crash as they get damaged in any impact more often than not.

Mick
Oh, man thanks for mentioning that! Yup, these stock servos often *seem* to be okay, but have stripped teeth. I find the best thing to do after ANY sort of upset, crash or contact on these helis is to grab my servo tester while on the bench, and really cycle 'em good, manually, slow and fast, full range, to be sure everything is okay in there. Doesn't take much to hurt these little fellas, and like I say, they can seem okay until you are in flight again, unless you test them.
Old Dec 06, 2011, 04:55 AM
Australia
Joined Jun 2010
1,611 Posts
I dont have servo tester, so I just use my finger with a little gentle pressure and work the servo using the TX against the load(my finger) in both directions. The 4F200 is quite an expensive heli to maintain. Although I do like its overall build quality and I find its easier to work on than a TREX250 clone. Its a shame though it cant hold 9g servo's like the TREX250 clones as it would open up the servo choice options. I recently put together a HK250GT and it came with ready stripped ball joints in the swash as well, so I guess when you get down to these micro CP heli's perhaps they are better suited to a plastic build rather than a full alloy CF build. It was the longer ball joints that used to fail on my 4F which I figured the longer length offer leverage on that little 1.5mm? thread. I sold my 4F200 following a rebuild that blew out to around $120 that was caused by a RX2612 roll out spasm. Strangely enough though ive still got three RX2612 in use, but in flybarred heli's without incident so far. When fitting them I figured if the AILE and ELEV gyro's caused me any grief I could just turn the setup dipper to ADJ and I would then just have single axis gyro RX combo. We will see, they might burn me again soon

Mick
Old Dec 06, 2011, 07:40 AM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,335 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo47 View Post
I sold my 4F200 following a rebuild that blew out to around $120 that was caused by a RX2612 roll out spasm. Strangely enough though ive still got three RX2612 in use, but in flybarred heli's without incident so far.

Mick
Those @!%!@$#%@$^@## 2612's have probably wrecked more helis, and caused more frustration than any single part I can think of in RC.

My attitude on the 2612 =

My attitude on the 2618 =

My attitude on the 2702 =

I just took my 4f200s out the other day, one with 2618, one with 2702, and while the 2618 is better than the notoriously untrustworthy 2612, the difference to the 2702, IMHO, makes it worth the price to upgrade all the way. So much smoother, predictable, and yet more responsive.
Old Dec 06, 2011, 08:56 AM
Moving Parts
United States, MS, Columbus
Joined May 2011
1,428 Posts
Greetings all, I'm seeking the opinion of anyone who would care to share regarding the 2612 (left over from 4f200 upgrade to 2618).

I'm doing a HK-450PRO build. I'm wondering if the 2612 in ADJ mode would work for this heli? Not saying I would use it, just wondering if it might work. Well, maybe I would test it. It will have a five blade head so don't really need FBL or 3X. There is an OrangeRx on order for it.

Thanks - Jack
ChopperJack is offline Find More Posts by ChopperJack
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 06, 2011, 02:53 PM
Australia
Joined Jun 2010
1,611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopperJack View Post
Greetings all, I'm seeking the opinion of anyone who would care to share regarding the 2612 (left over from 4f200 upgrade to 2618).

I'm doing a HK-450PRO build. I'm wondering if the 2612 in ADJ mode would work for this heli? Not saying I would use it, just wondering if it might work. Well, maybe I would test it. It will have a five blade head so don't really need FBL or 3X. There is an OrangeRx on order for it.

Thanks - Jack
If your using a 2 blade fly bar 450, i would say yes for ADJ mode. If your using a 5 blade "rigid" head like the cheapo CopterX or HobbyKing heads I would think you will need some form of E-stabilization so it would need to be in WK mode, then spin the wheel of fortune before lift off

Personally I would only use the left over 2612's on flybared heli's or perhaps a small EPO glider(req digi tail servo) in ADJ mode. I say small glider because I think the 2612 has range issues as well.

Mick
Old Dec 06, 2011, 04:35 PM
Joined Dec 2011
9 Posts
Walkera 4f200 gyro trouble

I am having trouble with my brand new heli. The Swashplate does not self level to the gyro only tail rotor There is no movement at all from the Swashplate when you rock the heli left and right by hand even at half throtle this has already caused 3 broken blades and one busted survo. Please help, also very disappointed on the Manuel for this helli it does not explain the settings very clearly

Diver Dave is offline Find More Posts by Diver Dave
Old Dec 06, 2011, 05:27 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,335 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dave View Post
I am having trouble with my brand new heli. The Swashplate does not self level to the gyro only tail rotor There is no movement at all from the Swashplate when you rock the heli left and right by hand even at half throtle this has already caused 3 broken blades and one busted survo. Please help, also very disappointed on the Manuel for this helli it does not explain the settings very clearly

Is the switch on your receiver set for "WK" or for "ADJ"?
Old Dec 06, 2011, 08:25 PM
Joined Dec 2011
9 Posts
What switch would you be referring to the throtle limit height switch?
Diver Dave is offline Find More Posts by Diver Dave