HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 23, 2012, 12:00 PM
Blacksburg, VA 24060 USA
Joined Feb 2000
3,216 Posts
"The voltage is reduced from the input voltage as well. There's actually a smart charger chip on the circuit board that manages the charge. It's NOT just a "wall-wart to battery" adapter in the DX8."__Andy Kunz

Now I'm confused. Does this mean that the smart charger chip will stop the charge to the NiMh pack when charging is complete?

If so, why did my DX8 get very warm when I accidentally stalled my appliance timer, so that the charging continued unnoticed for several days?

Jim R...
...certainly not the first time he's been confused...
JRuggiero is offline Find More Posts by JRuggiero
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 23, 2012, 12:57 PM
United States, NY, Nesconset
Joined Oct 2009
170 Posts
There is nothing to be confused about. It is not very smart. I've tested it. Even if you put a fully charged NiMH battery in there the charge circuit will continue to deliver 200 mA. Therefore, it is effectively a constant current 200 mA charge. The circuit does NOT terminate the charge. This is why your NiMH batteries are getting warm.
cbflys is offline Find More Posts by cbflys
Old Feb 23, 2012, 01:21 PM
United States, NY, Nesconset
Joined Oct 2009
170 Posts
BTW, I'm not trying to shed a negative light on the DX8's charging circuit - I'm simply stating how I find that it works in practice. Given this, you can make your own choice on how to manage charging a NiMH TX pack in the DX8.

Simply put, using the DX8 to charge a NiMH TX pack will not terminate the charge nor reduce the charge current to a NiMH safe trickle when the pack is fully charged. Understanding this limitation (pun intended) will prevent damaging the pack.

Man, this is one resilient horse
cbflys is offline Find More Posts by cbflys
Last edited by cbflys; Feb 23, 2012 at 01:28 PM.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 01:27 PM
3D Hack
United States, IL, Glen Carbon
Joined Jul 2010
1,934 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbflys View Post
Man, this is one resilient horse
Amen to that brother.
JC Spohr is offline Find More Posts by JC Spohr
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: About Me
Old Feb 23, 2012, 01:41 PM
AMA 84248 since 1964
Joined Jan 2011
1,360 Posts
Move on, move on nothing to see here.

KKKKFL
Franco2fly is offline Find More Posts by Franco2fly
Old Feb 23, 2012, 02:40 PM
3D Hack
Joined Jul 2010
1,934 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco2fly View Post
Move on, move on nothing to see here.

KKKKFL
You missed the dead horse?
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 23, 2012, 05:03 PM
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Apr 2011
26 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC Spohr View Post
A quick peek and my humble opinion is...

Damn that's a nice sheet!

Thanks for sharing.

JC
Thanks!
Merritt is offline Find More Posts by Merritt
Old Feb 23, 2012, 07:10 PM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
How about a "Horse of a different color"? Like Trims Display!

VP
Victory Pete is offline Find More Posts by Victory Pete
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Feb 23, 2012, 07:10 PM
Littleton, CO
Joined Nov 2010
1,308 Posts
Once the horse goes down it can be very difficult to move. It can be difficult to discern the difference between a stubborn horse and a dead horse at that point.
Lilienthal is offline Find More Posts by Lilienthal
Old Feb 23, 2012, 07:19 PM
3D Hack
Joined Jul 2010
1,934 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory Pete View Post
How about a "Horse of a different color"? Like Trims Display!

VP
Now you're talking...

How about a "Color" display?

Andy?

Regards,

JC
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 23, 2012, 07:23 PM
Canada
Joined Aug 2004
870 Posts
The problem is that when the horse died, it fell over on Andy . So, remember to lift with the knees!
grumpy42 is offline Find More Posts by grumpy42
Old Feb 23, 2012, 07:39 PM
Joined Jun 2004
129 Posts
Andy

[QUOTE=AndyKunz;20830655]
Weird, I can see all my posts logged in as myself and on another's machine. I wonder what happened.

What happened is you didn’t reply. So that’s why you couldn’t see it on your or another’s machine!

Sarcasm doesn’t become you, particularly when it’s factually incorrect!

I clearly said I couldn’t see your reply to a recent post, and that WAS factually correct.

Quote - A typo on my part. I was meaning current-limited but apparently screwed up. Not the first time it's happened. If somebody had noted that a while back I'd have been happy to correct it then (it took since October for somebody to point this out?!?!). It's corrected now. Thanks for the link!

Probably the reason nobody ‘noted’ it a while back is because they assumed your post was correct, or maybe because they didn’t want a sarcastic reply from you. If you cut the sarcasm and digs when challenged or questioned you would probably have had your mistake questioned!

Anyway, now we know you want us to note/point out things to you, can we all look forward to you replying without any sarcasm?

And as for your dead horse jibes – which are disrespectful to DX8 owners genuine concerns - this nag (and the ones called Vibration and Trim) will only be put out of their misery if HH listen to their customers and act accordingly, otherwise they will run and run.

You do a good job on this forum, but it doesn’t give you the right to offend.
howcar is offline Find More Posts by howcar
Old Feb 23, 2012, 08:07 PM
3D Hack
Joined Jul 2010
1,934 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by howcar View Post
And as for your dead horse jibes which are disrespectful to DX8 owners genuine concerns - this nag (and the ones called Vibration and Trim) will only be put out of their misery if HH listen to their customers and act accordingly, otherwise they will run and run.
Actually, I started the dead horse theme as a way to politely and briefly tell those who keep beating the dead horse that I and others are tired of the continued bitching that has gone on and on in this thread.

If people get tired of the beating a dead horse reference, well... I guess they feel our pain.

I really prefer to avoid the bitching and moaning... and really would like to see things put into a constructive form.

People are free to say what they want and how they want. Not saying they can't. Just asking that they do it in a more gracious manner.

Respectfully,

JC
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 23, 2012, 08:52 PM
Team JetiUSA
Santa Clara, CA
Joined Nov 2008
1,017 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
One of my college profs worked for Cray and was on the BOD. Nicest guy, but really tough to learn from in class (460-level math). He mumbled to the blackboard. Much better in his office a day later when you had a pile of papers from trying to understand what he did.

Andy
I worked for Convex (Low-end competitor to Cray) for 5 years, debugged our firmware, wrote automated tests for our compilers and then started working on the vectorizing optimizer for those compilers. Best company I ever worked for to date, very family atmosphere...

Peter+
pvogel is online now Find More Posts by pvogel
Old Feb 23, 2012, 09:23 PM
Littleton, CO
Joined Nov 2010
1,308 Posts
No disrespect intended, but I do feel badly for the poor horse.
Lilienthal is offline Find More Posts by Lilienthal