Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
5,643 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DDFHobbies View Post
Wow ! Awesome! Did you ever build it ?

K
No....
It was 100% designed, but got side tracked with my Emmaselle (197") and my B-36.

If I ever build it it won't be for years. To many designed projects ahead of it that will be more challenging. Why it is a cool design it is really just a big float around turd..... Not much you can do with it. I purpose designed it for a pal that works in film. He never got the funding for a documentary, so I never built it. However there are huge aspects to the way it is designed to handle properly in the air, adverse yaw stuff and stability issues......

But lets please keep in topic here.

DAG
dag214 is offline Find More Posts by dag214
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 25, 2012, 07:59 AM
I fly Helis too!
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2010
6,786 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dag214 View Post
No....
It was 100% designed, but got side tracked with my Emmaselle (197") and my B-36.

If I ever build it it won't be for years. To many designed projects ahead of it that will be more challenging. Why it is a cool design it is really just a big float around turd..... Not much you can do with it. I purpose designed it for a pal that works in film. He never got the funding for a documentary, so I never built it. However there are huge aspects to the way it is designed to handle properly in the air, adverse yaw stuff and stability issues......

But lets please keep in topic here.

DAG

Okey doke Sorry about derailing the Thread

K
Keenan smith is online now Find More Posts by Keenan smith
Old Sep 25, 2012, 09:45 AM
It only takes one good idea
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
5,643 Posts
Just in one of my moods

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...2&postcount=39

From my junk drawer.....

DAG
Old Sep 25, 2012, 11:49 AM
I fly Helis too!
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2010
6,786 Posts
Lol
Old Sep 25, 2012, 03:18 PM
Its all fun
Australia, NSW, Forster
Joined Oct 2004
7,004 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DDFHobbies View Post
Lol
Perfectly aimed at a 100% troll who even denies it himself
Tonystott is offline Find More Posts by Tonystott
Old Sep 25, 2012, 03:49 PM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
5,643 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonystott View Post
Hey Tony.......
Not to complete derail my own thread, but...........

I think anyone who has taken the time to look at all his post, and what he has shown knows he is 100% here just to hang out and make people think he is doing something kewl. Guy like him don't bother me at all because there is zero substance to what he is offering. I believe most of us real modelers were on to him a long time ago, but what is bad is the new guys that say " kewl, he is doing something really great". What ever.... when he popped up he and said " dag you just beat me by" I thought..... really?????? I beat you the first day I showed a real piece of wood cut with a clear picture. After all it is 2012 where even the junkiest phone camera can take a clear picture.

111% phony just trying to stir things up......... I have seen this type many times before, they stand around the field and tell stories of the planes they have had, but now gave it up as it just was not challenging anymore..... what ever.

Oh well..... takes all kinds:roll eyes:.

Oh did I tell you all I am building a 1400" span ME 323 out of foam and straws... All the ESC and motors will be HK proline 2000.

Rock On my friend.....

DAG
Old Sep 25, 2012, 03:55 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2012
76 Posts
Wow. Who was that person?
Quote:
Hey Tony.......
Not to complete derail my own thread, but...........

I think anyone who has taken the time to look at all his post, and what he has shown knows he is 100% here just to hang out and make people think he is doing something kewl. Guy like him don't bother me at all because there is zero substance to what he is offering. I believe most of us real modelers were on to him a long time ago, but what is bad is the new guys that say " kewl, he is doing something really great". What ever.... when he popped up he and said " dag you just beat me by" I thought..... really?????? I beat you the first day I showed a real piece of wood cut with a clear picture. After all it is 2012 where even the junkiest phone camera can take a clear picture.

111% phony just trying to stir things up......... I have seen this type many times before, they stand around the field and tell stories of the planes they have had, but now gave it up as it just was not challenging anymore..... what ever.

Oh well..... takes all kinds:roll eyes:.

Oh did I tell you all I am building a 1400" span ME 323 out of foam and straws... All the ESC and motors will be HK proline 2000.

Rock On my friend.....

DAG
Eli Lipschitz is offline Find More Posts by Eli Lipschitz
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Sep 25, 2012, 04:34 PM
Sponsored by Team de la Peņa
Miramar, FL
Joined Aug 2008
2,493 Posts
Oh yeah, well I will be building a 208mm wingspan paper airplane!!! It will be made out of a single sheet of laser quality paper with a weight of 28 lb. I debated using 24 lb weight or even 20 lb weight but after much testing I determined that the extra rigidity of the heavier paper far outweighed any weight penalty that I may incur. In addition, I will be outfitting it with two elevons (yes, you read correctly, that's TWO, one on each wing) which will give me the benefit of in-between flight trimming and will provide optimal glide angle to decrease the sink rate in order to create the best flight time possible.

I also opted for raw material sporting a brightness index of 100 instead of the typical 92 or even the economic index of 84 typically used in most applications. I felt that this would create maximum appreciation of the craft in flight when reflecting the apparently never present (due to continuous overcast of late) South Florida sun. I also feel that this brightness level material takes the markers that I am using to apply the optimal finish to the aircraft better, but I don't have any scientific data to back that up (now that I think about it it may be the weight of the paper that helps it take the colors better).

I considered for a while whether I wanted to convert the aircraft for bungee launching but I opted to stay with my trusted "hand launch" technique to keep it competition legal. I currently use the javelin technique but after watching some of the world record attempts I have found that for flight duration the discus launch seems to be the preferred technique (though for distance the javelin technique is still king); I will have to re-consider this as my design is better suited for duration than for distance.

I'm extremely happy with my current design but I am exploring the possibility of a new design that is going to have a wingspan of 258mm (yes you read that right, that is one whole digit above yours!!!). The downside of this design is that I would probably have to move on to a multiple sheet design or at least to cutting and pasting and I'm not certain if the internal structure will be able to withstand the monumental forces created during the launch. Hmmm...... I will have to think about that one and do some more testing. Ultimately I may have to drop the whole idea because a multiple sheet design may not be competition legal.

Ahhhh.... the trials and tribulations of this hobby, I wouldn't have it any other way.

- Birger
bdelapen is offline Find More Posts by bdelapen
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 25, 2012, 05:39 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
4,982 Posts
Dag,
I wasn't worried about you responding. I have been following this thread and you on FB and know that you are on the road many days a week. I don't know how you do it.

Almost 3# of wire. That is a lot.

I send you the images of planes and such that I think are important, so you can file them somewhere special.

I am still amazed at this build and all the systems and how they all have to work together.

What gets me is that for a day or two when you return, nothing gets posted, then in a matter of an hour or two, there are what seems like two whole pages and many words posted. I have to almost speed read to keep up. I just love it.

Have tons of fun.

Conehead
Orrin Eldred
Conehead is offline Find More Posts by Conehead
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Maiden Flight today.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 01:52 AM
Altitude is my friend...
Southern California
Joined May 2009
1,316 Posts
Quote:
...What have I gotten myself into...
A monster project that has truly taken on a life of its own, but is so epic in its scope and remarkable in its execution that it has a large and growing legion of fans who are following its progress intently.

You have many admirers out here, Dag.
Depronicus is online now Find More Posts by Depronicus
Old Sep 26, 2012, 07:54 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2012
76 Posts
Dag, are you going to have a copilot on another radio? A guy at SEFF with his B-29 did this, in case he has a heart attack or can't fly it anymore.
Eli Lipschitz is offline Find More Posts by Eli Lipschitz
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Sep 26, 2012, 11:48 AM
Altitude is my friend...
Southern California
Joined May 2009
1,316 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli Lipschitz View Post
Dag, are you going to have a copilot on another radio? A guy at SEFF with his B-29 did this, in case he has a heart attack or can't fly it anymore.
I wouldn't be surprised if he had a co-pilot and a flight engineer, as well.
Depronicus is online now Find More Posts by Depronicus
Old Sep 26, 2012, 01:33 PM
Couger/ merlin mavrick / goose
Joined Aug 2012
53 Posts
Thats so cool , what a amazing project, i may have missed it , but how long has this taken you? Amazing skill , when i put some glue on my landing gear to support it better on some of my planes i feel like im a master builder , but this.. this is amazing. Great work , you are master builder and this is so great to see , good luck buddy !
Kylejazz123 is offline Find More Posts by Kylejazz123
Old Sep 26, 2012, 06:00 PM
I fly Helis too!
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2010
6,786 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonystott View Post
Whats that supposed to mean ?

K
Old Sep 26, 2012, 06:34 PM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
5,643 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli Lipschitz View Post
Yep!!!
Radio #1-all flying controls
Radio #2-Bomb bays, bomb drop, lights. Rear machine gun turret.

Thanks!!!
DAG