HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 13, 2008, 11:34 PM
Permanently Banned
Joined Jul 2007
800 Posts
Discussion
time to consider upgrade

well I have a X-378 and its been fine up till now.... the only thing I havnt liked about it is I have never been able to set the flight mode switch up it just wont work, even tried on my spare one but nope.... same switch works ok for heli idle up just to be able to switch rates with one switch would be nice.... I have been thinking about a JR pcm 9x type transmiter as I dont want to go spectrum what you think?
nitroshark is offline Find More Posts by nitroshark
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 14, 2008, 12:23 AM
Joined Apr 2007
425 Posts
Here's the deal with the Flight mode.

I bought a X-378 back when it came out becuase a friend owned the hobby shop and I got to go through the manual and see all the features. Once I started programming I noticed I couldn't find the flight mode page.

I called JR....they said it was there.....needless to say after a 2hr phone call with the tech who finally got out the manual the answer was.....oh yes, that was a typo. We had orginally planned to include that mode in the airplane but we only did it for the helicopter.

Typo I said......its a whole page with photos of what the screen of the radio should look like. That is more than a typo. Maybe you should include an adendum with the radio or get rid of that page.

After all that JR refunded my money and I got the 10X instead because it had flight modes (this was way before the 9303). I've never been happier that I bought the 10X.
sweetpea is offline Find More Posts by sweetpea
Old Jan 14, 2008, 12:23 AM
Christchurch, New Zealand
Joined Jun 2006
6,794 Posts
Why not go Spektrum?
Andrew McGregor is offline Find More Posts by Andrew McGregor
Old Jan 14, 2008, 12:32 AM
Permanently Banned
Joined Jul 2007
800 Posts
not interested in changing over 10 recievers
Old Jan 14, 2008, 10:34 AM
Will fly for food
Maryland
Joined Sep 2004
8,424 Posts
Trust me, you will happy that you did. I have ended up buying 20 Spektrum Rxes to swap out all the aircraft and have some spares for builds in progress.

And you can still sell your 72 MHz Rxes.
Pinecone is offline Find More Posts by Pinecone
Old Jan 14, 2008, 02:08 PM
Permanently Banned
Joined Jul 2007
800 Posts
I have spent hours and hours trying to work it out and its a typo?
Old Jan 14, 2008, 10:08 PM
Joined Apr 2007
425 Posts
That is what i found out after hours and hours of not being able to find the page.

Just to be sure.....we are talking flight mode where you put dual rates for all surfaces on one switch (like elevator). This way you only have to change one switch to change everything.
sweetpea is offline Find More Posts by sweetpea
Old Jan 14, 2008, 10:56 PM
Permanently Banned
Joined Jul 2007
800 Posts
yes! you are correct as it would sure beat trying to flick all three switches like I do now...... aileron rudder elevator for models which are fast in fact its a real pain! with spectrum I look at it like this.... over time there will be less and less people using 72mhz like mine so that makes the airwaves alot cleaner
Old Jan 14, 2008, 10:58 PM
Permanently Banned
Joined Jul 2007
800 Posts
Actually if this is correct (it seems to be) then thats really nasty of JR there must have been 10000s of hours wasted over this! however I still like JR so will stick with them, what about this model? here
Old Jan 15, 2008, 12:21 AM
Christchurch, New Zealand
Joined Jun 2006
6,794 Posts
Well, the PCM9X is basically the same thing as the XP9303, or indeed the X9303 without the 2.4GHz RF stage. Great radio. Has BOTH flight modes AND selectable combination dual-rate switches, has a full sailplane program and a superb heli program. Of course, if you don't go the X9303 2.4GHz route you don't get the latency benefit, but it's a great radio even without that.
Andrew McGregor is offline Find More Posts by Andrew McGregor
Old Jan 15, 2008, 12:22 AM
Permanently Banned
Joined Jul 2007
800 Posts
lol NO 2.4ghz wont be for a month or so as I really have overspent over xmas on models
Old Jan 15, 2008, 10:32 AM
Will fly for food
Maryland
Joined Sep 2004
8,424 Posts
NOpe, because the one box RTFs are starting to come on 72, so you have all those people who have NO idea about shootdowns and such turning on their radios.

With 2.4 (other than a wierd situaton with a few FASST radios right now) there is no possibility of a shoot down.
Old Jan 15, 2008, 10:33 AM
Will fly for food
Maryland
Joined Sep 2004
8,424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew McGregor
Well, the PCM9X is basically the same thing as the XP9303, or indeed the X9303 without the 2.4GHz RF stage. Great radio. Has BOTH flight modes AND selectable combination dual-rate switches, has a full sailplane program and a superb heli program. Of course, if you don't go the X9303 2.4GHz route you don't get the latency benefit, but it's a great radio even without that.
Yeap. I have both XP9303 and X9303. I really should sell my XP9303, but I may just keep it for simming and as a trainer box.
Old Jan 15, 2008, 10:23 PM
Permanently Banned
Joined Jul 2007
800 Posts
well

Quote:
NOpe, because the one box RTFs are starting to come on 72
I do most of my flying at our club so the frequency is controlled
Old Jan 16, 2008, 03:07 PM
The Northeast Kingdom, Vermont
Joined Jun 2004
5,089 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitroshark
I do most of my flying at our club so the frequency is controlled
So is our field, but we have had problems with kids trying to fly parkies at a nearby junior high school, one confirmed shoot down this fall.
The problems with 72Mhz will get worse, not better, as old 72Mhz stuff gets picked up by newbies that are not involved in organized flying.
Pete
pilotpete2 is offline Find More Posts by pilotpete2