HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 13, 2012, 07:51 AM
Joined Jul 2012
379 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodak_jack View Post
All you have to do is touch the motors to know if that's what it is. If they're hot, the motors are your problem - most likely what it is.
The motors will burn you if you touch them. If that is the problem, its a good excuse to go brushless
minbari is offline Find More Posts by minbari
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 13, 2012, 08:17 AM
NotAnotherMomentLostToSei zures
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
10,410 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by minbari View Post
ok, another question.

the heli works great for about 5 minutes then it starts to lose power and kinda bumble its way along the ground. its not the battery, I have 4 of em and after it starts doing it, you have to let it cool down for about 1/2 hour before it will fly right again.

what is the most likely suspect? motors going bad or the 4in1? something else?
You should go back and read my last few posts. I only replaced "one" motor as they were both new to begin with. Always replace "both" motors if you know they have "many" flights on them.

Quote:
All you have to do is touch the motors to know if that's what it is. If they're hot, the motors are your problem - most likely what it is.
I think Jack nailed it here, unless there's binding going on. IE: bent shafts due to a crash.

Quote:
Well, I work 4 evenings/ week and have to put up with wind, so, it has been a dismal Summer for flying. I flew last night for a while, but used the "new" stock battery. I still have the 4 year old stock battery that came with the original Lama 4, a new stock battery from the A-300 and the two Rhino's. I haven't even been able to keep them rotated through, let alone put any real time on them. I moved the weights out to the 6 1/2" span and had porpoising as I thought I would. I'll have to see how much time I can get to play with those, change out to different blades, etc. before the season ends. This Winter, I'll replace the motors with Aero-Nutz.
You must get the winds off the lake Jack. Just like I get the winds off the ocean. Big PITA I know. I lucked out this past week enough to diagnose my motor problem. I still can't believe I got a bad Aero~Nut motor Been flying these for about 4 years now. BTW, I have my weights out at 6" (a tad less) end to end. Dang, we only had the Champ out twice all summer long You?

@Buzz, I checked that bad motor's shaft/pinion for trueness (<not a word) from the top and all sides (at different lighting) and it looked good. I did this under a lighted magnifier. I know the shafts a tiny but I took my time. One thing I did notice though, is that I could see more carbon deposits on the tops of the windings compared to it's mate with the same number of flights. Any thoughts? Anybody?

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Sep 13, 2012, 08:21 AM
Joined Mar 2008
10,410 Posts
Quote:
The motors will burn you if you touch them. If that is the problem, its a good excuse to go brushless
Easier said than done. Just my humble opinion. Aero~Nuts motors would serve you well. My bad Aero~Nut motor was a fluke

BTW, how many flights do you think are on those motors? I assume they are stock.

Mike.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 08:24 AM
Joined Jul 2012
379 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chap1012 View Post
You should go back and read my last few posts. I only replaced "one" motor as they were both new to begin with. Always replace "both" motors if you know they have "many" flights on them.

I think Jack nailed it here, unless there's binding going on. IE: bent shafts due to a crash.

Mike.
well, I guess that decides it. I bought it used, so i have no idea how many flights the motors have on them, but as I said, you cant touch them after 5 minutes. hotter than hell.

there is no binding that I can see. both the inner and outer shafts are new, as i just replaced them along with both sets of gears.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 08:33 AM
Joined Mar 2008
10,410 Posts
Quote:
well, I guess that decides it. I bought it used, so i have no idea how many flights the motors have on them, but as I said, you cant touch them after 5 minutes. hotter than hell.

there is no binding that I can see. both the inner and outer shafts are new, as i just replaced them along with both sets of gears.
Did you roll test the shafts before installation? Check the gears carefully for missing teeth. I can say from experience that just because the part(s) are new doesn't mean they are good. I'm sure many members will back me on this one.

You can still check those shafts though. Remove all the blades and spin up your heli. There should be "zero" wobble as you carefully examine the shafts as they spin at different speeds.

Mike.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 08:37 AM
Joined Jul 2012
379 Posts
ya, I am pretty sure all is well in that dept. I checked the shafts before installing them, the gears are good. even with blades on it, if you give it just enough throttle to spin up, it is smooth. no wobbling or tipping over.

like I said, it flies really well for the first 5 minutes. and slowely but surely you are at full throttle just to keep it 6" off the ground. Then it wont lift off at all.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 08:52 AM
Joined Mar 2008
10,410 Posts
You sound confident so, yup, I would say bad motors. Especially if they get so hot you have to pull your fingers off the motor after only about 3 to 5 seconds.

If you want to buy some Aero~Nuts, right here:
http://www.aero-nuts.com/product_inf...roducts_id=554
They'll take about 3 weeks coming from China (OOOps, don't know where you live). I usually order 3 maybe 4 sets at a time. You can't beat the price and you sure as hell can't beat the performance. Check out those large cooling vents on the can.

Mike.
Last edited by Chap1012; Sep 13, 2012 at 08:54 AM. Reason: shipping location
Old Sep 13, 2012, 09:35 AM
Joined Jul 2012
379 Posts
Quote:
You sound confident so, yup, I would say bad motors. Especially if they get so hot you have to pull your fingers off the motor after only about 3 to 5 seconds.

If you want to buy some Aero~Nuts, right here:
http://www.aero-nuts.com/product_inf...roducts_id=554
They'll take about 3 weeks coming from China (OOOps, don't know where you live). I usually order 3 maybe 4 sets at a time. You can't beat the price and you sure as hell can't beat the performance. Check out those large cooling vents on the can.

Mike.
3-5 seconds would be very painfull, lol. you can touch them about as long as you would touch a hot frying pan, lol.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 09:39 AM
Joined Mar 2008
10,410 Posts
Quote:
3-5 seconds would be very painfull, lol. you can touch them about as long as you would touch a hot frying pan, lol.
Holly bat crap Man Do yourself a favor and put the heli in the hanger until you get new motors. Even short flights is not good for the 4in1 at this point.

Mike.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 09:55 AM
Joined Jul 2012
379 Posts
already done that would explain why the 4in1 gyro light goes to solid red all the time while flying.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 10:01 AM
Joined Mar 2008
10,410 Posts
Quote:
already done that would explain why the 4in1 gyro light goes to solid red all the time while flying.
Exactly
Old Sep 13, 2012, 11:26 AM
Joined Jul 2012
379 Posts
thanks for the help. gonna be a few weeks to fix it (gotta love slow boat from china)

converting to brushless.
86ing the 4in1
adding a real HH gyro
adding 6ch RX (for my th9x)

should be an interesting biuld when it is done.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 01:49 PM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Daytona Beach, Florida, United States
Joined Aug 2002
10,130 Posts
Quote:
I don't have anything sophisticated; I have an MQX (Eflite).
Probably flies better than this GU-INS.

You know... you and I have conversed before on a different forum. I was mistaking you for Gorilla Bob who is flying a quad now. Do you fly helicopters?
No big deal. I've just totally lost my mind. lol
Buzz is offline Find More Posts by Buzz
Old Sep 14, 2012, 06:33 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
Probably flies better than this GU-INS.

Do you fly helicopters?
No big deal. I've just totally lost my mind. lol
What forum are we in, Buzzo?!! YES, I fly helicopters. I think there are black ones without markings flying over your house right now!!!!!!!!
kodak_jack is offline Find More Posts by kodak_jack
Old Sep 14, 2012, 06:38 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,421 Posts
Quote:
BTW, I have my weights out at 6" (a tad less) end to end. Dang, we only had the Champ out twice all summer long You?

Mike.
I just changed my weights from the fully extended position to about 6" apart.

I've had the Champ out maybe 5 times this season. The nice thing about it is I can fly 3 or 4 batteries through it without worrying about heat. At first, I flew it with the Mickey Mouse controller that comes with it and was always worried about the range issue. Now, with the DX6i, I don't worry as much. I usually go to a firemen's field or behind a school with a baseball diamond and extra space.
kodak_jack is offline Find More Posts by kodak_jack