HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Yesterday, 06:24 PM
Joined Sep 2010
14 Posts
Help!
Bit of guidance please...

Hi everyone, I just have a couple of questions which I'm sure most of you will know.

I'm just starting off in this hobby, having previously flown fixed pitch helicopters and I'm thinking about building a quad.

So here are the main things -

STABILITY!

I've got a little Hubsan x4 and it flies beautifully, almost like a coaxial helicopter, in that when you release the sticks the quad will centre itself. I've also seen that larger quads, especially when used for camera mounts which have various settings to control stability.

If I were to build a quad using the typical control units found on the hobby websites, would these have stability systems built in? - I heard from someone that these quads are more like Collective Pitch helicopters to fly? To be honest, if I build one I would like some degree of stability, similar to the Hubsan if possible.

Also, for those craft that have different flight modes, how do you change modes? - Through the transmitter? I would assume that you would need more channels to send the information?

Lastly, will any decent transmitter and receiver do for the build? I have a Walkera V120D01. It is a 4 channel helicopter. Could I rip out the receiver and use this? - Also my transmitter for it (WK-2403) has 4 channels and a switch for controlling servo throw - do you think this could be utilised in some way?

Sorry to bombard you, any help would be appreciated!

Thanks very much in advance!
christrom is offline Find More Posts by christrom
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 06:49 PM
Joined Jan 2014
558 Posts
The Hubsan uses a Gryo and an Accelerometer (3-axes each) for stability. Almost every FC board has at least those two sensors for flying in auto-level mode. Many FC boards have additional sensors and options for other connections.

Mode switching is typically done with a switch on the RC transmitter which does require another channel or two depending on what modes the FC has for you to switch between.

Almost any 4 or more channel RC tx/rx can work for a quad. It does need to be able to setup for straight 'airplane mode' with no mixing of channels like is typical for helios.

Next suggest to to start reading a whole lot more as well as doing lots of web (google) searches. For instance, search the multi-rotor forums here for Walkera V120D01 to see if anyone is using this TX for quads. If no result then just search on "Walkera".
waltr is offline Find More Posts by waltr
Old Yesterday, 06:54 PM
Joined Sep 2010
14 Posts
Thanks waltr! So is the Hubsan's transmitter more than 4 channels?

I've been googling a lot, but for some reason the stability thing kept eluding me. Thanks very much
christrom is offline Find More Posts by christrom
Old Yesterday, 07:37 PM
Childlike Activity for Adults
United States, MA, Cummington
Joined Dec 2012
1,892 Posts
A self leveling quad will need at least a 5 channel Tx. The first 4 channels handle basic flight control. The fifth channel is generally assigned to self leveling. Additional channels on the Tx are assigned to different flight controller functions. such as GPS, BARO, RTH, etc. as the FCB is designed.
jbrumberg is offline Find More Posts by jbrumberg
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Improving Visibility
Old Yesterday, 07:53 PM
Scratch-Built 250 Quads + 450
Antarctica
Joined Sep 2012
217 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrumberg View Post
A self leveling quad will need at least a 5 channel Tx. The first 4 channels handle basic flight control. The fifth channel is generally assigned to self leveling. Additional channels on the Tx are assigned to different flight controller functions. such as GPS, BARO, RTH, etc. as the FCB is designed.
If using multiwii you can have self level permanently on by clicking all the boxes for it in the GUI so 4 channels can be used
Rcnewbiechris is offline Find More Posts by Rcnewbiechris
Old Yesterday, 08:14 PM
Childlike Activity for Adults
United States, MA, Cummington
Joined Dec 2012
1,892 Posts
Boards like the Multiwii are incredibly powerful and can be programmed in a variety of ways. I would not consider them the easiest of FCB's to set up and tune compared to a KK2.0/2.1, but they offer a lot more features.

How cold is it in Antarctica?
jbrumberg is offline Find More Posts by jbrumberg
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Improving Visibility