HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 19, 2014, 06:27 PM
Westerly Windina
Pacific Palisades, CA
Joined Jul 2004
9,051 Posts
Discussion
Best center fin mount for a DS foamie wing

I'm finishing up a Lumberjack from Canuck Engineering. It will be DSd and should end up about 50-60 oz.

What's the best way to mount a center fin on it? I have been using coro and carbon rods but I want this to be heavier duty. I'll gladly fashion a bagged balsa fin if I could figure out how to mount it.

For those not familiar with the plane, it's similar to a Bluto (fuseless).

The plane is built already and covered in lam film if that influences your recommendations.
screamin' eagle is online now Find More Posts by screamin' eagle
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 19, 2014, 07:54 PM
5 blocks from smith bros
Joined Jan 2008
160 Posts
fin

Dom on Rene's ridgerunner bagged balsa fin gooped on works fine, cut a v into fin and gooped it on
bloodandguts is offline Find More Posts by bloodandguts
Old Apr 20, 2014, 12:31 AM
Westerly Windina
Pacific Palisades, CA
Joined Jul 2004
9,051 Posts
Thanks John. I remember that ship and loved the fin install at the time. I thought that was done during assembly, but if I can just goop in I'm down for it. I'll get a fin together shortly.

See ya on the hill, and maybe even Rene too...
Old Apr 20, 2014, 10:35 AM
United Kingdom
Joined Jan 2010
82 Posts
Please post your experiences with the heavyweight Lumberjack....I'd seriously consider one if they ever came back into production. I presume yours is the 60" at that weight?
willmo is offline Find More Posts by willmo
Old Apr 21, 2014, 05:16 AM
gas tires and oil
malad, idaho
Joined Dec 2004
2,419 Posts
where did you get a LJ dom? I've been considering a resurrection of my 60"er.
I glued a foam block on top and potted a slot for the fin kind of like a jw fin. it worked alright.

here are a couple threads from back when I built it.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=698126
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=692273

marty
prplgoat is offline Find More Posts by prplgoat
Old Apr 21, 2014, 07:30 AM
Westerly Windina
Pacific Palisades, CA
Joined Jul 2004
9,051 Posts
Marty and willmo, I have the 60" which I picked up unbuilt on the FS board a while ago. Last I heard they were out of production to address the wing panel mating issues.

Marty, I also considered doing exactly what you did for the fin mount. I am pretty much out of space for nose weight and already have lead slugs in the nose ahead of the battery so am worried about balancing. The plane is tail heavy as it stands. But maybe the JW style mount will be pretty light with a coro fin?

I'd like to fly it this week so I may go with something temporary until I can get a fin bagged.
Last edited by screamin' eagle; Apr 21, 2014 at 12:09 PM.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 04:54 PM
gas tires and oil
malad, idaho
Joined Dec 2004
2,419 Posts
my back up plan for the fin would be the same as the halfpipe 48" uses with a piece of coro and a carbon rod.
i really liked the way the LJ flew and i had blast with it. the ribbon spars are just not strong or durable enough for serious DS and the coro mount would be fine for a light,fun DS plane.

if i was to do it again and wanted to go fast i would embed a shortened dlg tail boom in the center like the HP 60" and build a spar somewhat like a JW.
i think having the fin back behind the TE gives it more stability with less surface area. the way i had that one probably needed a little bigger fin.

is yours the V-2 DS version with heavy 1.9 epp or the standard 60"? the V-2 came with TE and panel halves already assembled....
marty
prplgoat is offline Find More Posts by prplgoat
Old Apr 21, 2014, 05:09 PM
Westerly Windina
Pacific Palisades, CA
Joined Jul 2004
9,051 Posts
I wasn't that impressed with the ribbon spars either, and added a carbon rod main spar.

Mine came pre-assembled so I guess it's the V2. But the pre-assembly was done a while ago with spray adhesive so I took it all apart (to the extent it hadn't come apart already) and epoxied everything together.

I like the nice beefy basswood sub-TE which made it easy to build the wing straight. I also covered in 10 mil lam film so I feel like it's quite stiff. Proof will be in the pudding.
Last edited by screamin' eagle; Apr 21, 2014 at 05:45 PM.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 09:08 PM
Launch and Recovery System
United States, CA, Laguna Beach
Joined Apr 2008
1,328 Posts
The mamba has a piece of wedge shaped wood that has 2 screws up through the wood and high up into the chloroplast. The wood slips into a cut out and is glued in. It goes from the top surface to the bottom and from trailing edge forward 3 inches or so
L.A.R.S. is online now Find More Posts by L.A.R.S.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 09:37 PM
stop typing go build it! shesh
United States, CA, Goleta
Joined Apr 2010
370 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=563251
I learned a ton from this build thread for the devastator DTV This wing still is around and flies great, but has not been out in a while. It's currant owner did make it out to weaselfest so hopfully it will be flying again soon.
I have always liked the fin mount, cutting a slot in a killer tape and covering job freaks me out. I would always be afraid of it splitting its a$$ on a hard impact. This system could also be adapted to a removable tail without a ton more work.
James
Redfarren is offline Find More Posts by Redfarren