HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 03, 2014, 07:25 PM
NJ
Joined Jan 2000
412 Posts
Discussion
traveling with your quad

I am going on vacation to Hawaii and I want to bring my quad. Any issues bringing my lipo's do I need to call the airline in advance? I have a hard case for the entire setup.
JDPG2 is offline Find More Posts by JDPG2
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 03, 2014, 08:44 PM
La Mesa Air
La Mesa, CA
Joined Mar 2010
138 Posts
Your LiPos need to be a carry on item, not checked as baggage under the plane, per TSA and airline rules. Although the TSA does not require it, the general recommendation is to put your batteries at storage charge level, and carry them in a LiPo fire bag. I've flown with LiPos many times. Never got a second glance.

As far as your quad goes, plan on it being inverted for most of the flight and loading/unloading. For whatever reason those baggage handlers (aka 'throwers') like to put everything upside down, probably because everything has wheels these days.

If you have custom foam, great. But if not, think of it this way - If you are uncomfortable with your hardcase falling from 2 feet onto any side, you need more padding.
kf6bbl is offline Find More Posts by kf6bbl