HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:28 AM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,089 Posts
Discussion
Hobbyking 1/10 drift car

This looks nice. Would love to have this if I could have a diff in the rear. i wonder if it could be changed or modded. Drifting looks fun, but I am more interested in handling.

HobbyKing Daily - GTR Drift Car (2 min 29 sec)
shahram72 is offline Find More Posts by shahram72
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 31, 2013, 04:37 PM
United States, CA, Pinole
Joined Jan 2009
737 Posts
Brushed power system in this day and age

imgumby
imgumby is offline Find More Posts by imgumby
Old Jan 31, 2013, 04:52 PM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
11,164 Posts
For drifting and crawling brushless is not needed. Both are not about speed, but more about control. And most of the times a brushed motor will respond more smoothly, unless you start using sensored brushless motors and ESC, which also put the price up. With crawlers, a 55 turn brushed motor is still quite common.
SoloProFan is online now Find More Posts by SoloProFan
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 31, 2013, 07:54 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,089 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by imgumby View Post
Brushed power system in this day and age

imgumby
Yes, but it's under $100. So just for the roller that's a good deal. You can always get your preferred setup later.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:08 PM
Sakura S n00b
Richmond B.C. Canada
Joined Oct 2007
397 Posts
Hmm... the body looks exactly the same as the one I used to buy off r2hobbies, can find them pop up on ebay, too.

Hmmm look familiar?

Looks alright I guess if the whole setup is less than $100, probably a better drifter than my old TT-01E, too. And yea.. I do kinda prefer brushed system when drifting, it's smoother than a sensorless BL system for sure, and it doesn't hurt when you can get old brushed stuff dirt cheap.
SporadicIdiocy is online now Find More Posts by SporadicIdiocy
Old Feb 01, 2013, 10:43 AM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,746 Posts
For the expected price, it looks like a very good deal. As long as there is parts support it could be pretty popular.
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
Old Feb 01, 2013, 10:47 AM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,089 Posts
If you check hobbykings site, they seem to have full parts support for all their cars. They have an awesome looking desert buggy with brushless motor and esc for $116. And I have a couple of the smaller 1/18 scale brushless cars that are blisteringly fast. my little stadium truck pulls to the side if you gun it from too much power and torque effect. Really overpowered. A bit of expo, actually a lot of expo solved that though.
Old Feb 01, 2013, 02:28 PM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,746 Posts
How many of the parts are actually in stock now? I know about a year ago parts were NEVER available even though they listed them.
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
Old Feb 01, 2013, 02:47 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,089 Posts
That's the rub, they do go out of stock for a while sometimes, and with lack of information it seems like they never come back, but they eventually do. That's why I tout the HSP cars. Parts available from many sources. But even the Hobbyking cars are not unique. They are almost always just rebadged Chinese models and if you can find the make and model, you can find more sources for parts. That's why so many come with those Hideous bodies and paint jobs, but that is changing. Look at the trooper SCT. Was horrid before, now the new body looks much nicer. And this is just retro fanatastic. I want one.