HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 13, 2012, 11:05 AM
Support Your Local Hobby Shops
Nashville, TN
Joined Feb 2005
740 Posts
aero104 is offline Find More Posts by aero104
Last edited by aero104; Mar 14, 2013 at 02:07 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 13, 2012, 11:13 AM
Nashville, TN
Joined Feb 2005
740 Posts
Last edited by aero104; Mar 14, 2013 at 02:07 PM.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 11:53 AM
United States, FL, Destin
Joined Oct 2004
34 Posts
I'm using Futaba 6EXA computer radio and have fully read the manual on how to mix rudder into aileron so not a peoblem. I was just curious what a good starting point would be as for %. Think I'll start there and see. I do want to learn cross stick controlling but I also want a smooth flying plane not one that is "choppy". I have plenty of throws for rolls and such and have put in, i think, around 30% expo. Not sure without checking radio but it is a soft flying plane.

Thanks
Scotty
captscotty is offline Find More Posts by captscotty
Old Oct 13, 2012, 12:01 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
15,923 Posts
Start at 10%, and you want to mix aileron into rudder, not the other way around

Rudder to aileron mix is common for aerobatic models to eliminate yaw/roll coupling.

So in your case aileron will be the master, and rudder the slave

Pat MacKenzie
pmackenzie is offline Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Oct 13, 2012, 01:01 PM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
7,598 Posts
I agree with pmackenzie.Aileron should be the master-but remember-movement only happens while you're holding the input !

I don't mix it,because I fly the airplane,and don't need an autopilot.

Co-ordinated turns are simply a matter of"if it looks right"....you don't KNOW when it's co-ordinated,but you can see when it AIN'T,in a model.

If you still have both thumbs,become a pilot.....
epoxyearl is offline Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 13, 2012, 01:17 PM
Nashville, TN
Joined Feb 2005
740 Posts
Last edited by aero104; Mar 14, 2013 at 02:06 PM.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 11:42 AM
www.****enageair.org
Joined Mar 2006
282 Posts
That Is an inaccurate statement. Almost no airplanes have interconnects the pilots feet do The work. The Tri-pacer had an interconnect that frankly was a nuisance and had to be countrtacted in a normal coordinated turn. This is something that will only be understood once you've flow the full size version. Cherokees do not have an interconnect nor do Comanches.
us185damiani is offline Find More Posts by us185damiani
Old Oct 14, 2012, 01:52 PM
Nashville, TN
Joined Feb 2005
740 Posts
Old Oct 14, 2012, 01:59 PM
Zor
Suspended Account
Ontario,Canada
Joined Feb 2007
9,742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aero104 View Post
Just for the discussion. Most full-scale airplanes after the Piper Cub have a Aileron-Rudder Interconnect cable. Including Piper Tri-Pacer, Cherokee, Twin Comanche, and others.

http://www.americanflyers.net/aviati...er_4_img_9.jpg
aero104,

I wonder how or where you got this information.

After flying a full size Twin Comanche for two years and hundeds of hours I can assure everyone that there is an interconnection between ailerons and rudder.

Consider also that during a steady turn opposite ailerons are needed to avoid overbanking. The outer wing is travelling faster than the inner one.

The lower pic in the link is quite confusing if anyone pays attention to the details.

Zor
Zor is offline Find More Posts by Zor
Last edited by Zor; Oct 14, 2012 at 02:22 PM. Reason: Adding details.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 14, 2012, 03:38 PM
Nashville, TN
Joined Feb 2005
740 Posts
Old Oct 14, 2012, 04:59 PM
United States, FL, Destin
Joined Oct 2004
34 Posts
Thanks for all the input!!!

I do appreciate everyone's opinion and take all the advice as just that. I don't post very often either but since I have been away from flying since Feb I thought I would ask how to make my Cub the "easiest to fly". I only put about 5-6 flights on it last winter and never really goy it dialed in. It just seemed like I had to force it to turn......i don't know, it's hard to explain.

Scotty
captscotty is offline Find More Posts by captscotty
Old Oct 14, 2012, 06:15 PM
United States, NC, Hendersonville
Joined Oct 2009
354 Posts
What I usually do is mix away the adverse yaw. This is done with the Ail/Rud mix. put in 25-30% in a way that the rudder moves to tighten the turn - ie.. right aileron right rudder movement. The 25-30% will be necessary on the Cub.

This is just to mix out the adverse yaw. Hard wing rocks from a min 45 degrees one way to min 45 the other should show no adverse yaw. After this - you can still slip and do all the fun stuff with the Cub.

Rob
RobMason is online now Find More Posts by RobMason
Old Oct 15, 2012, 06:08 AM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
7,598 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by captscotty View Post
I do appreciate everyone's opinion and take all the advice as just that. I don't post very often either but since I have been away from flying since Feb I thought I would ask how to make my Cub the "easiest to fly". I only put about 5-6 flights on it last winter and never really goy it dialed in. It just seemed like I had to force it to turn......i don't know, it's hard to explain.

Scotty
It's not hard to understand,though....I suggested using aileron as the master,since most people have a locked left thumb.Since they mostly are only aware of the right stick,let's do the mixing there.
The problem with mixing anything,is that when you bank,and the airplane starts to turn,the faster wing wants to roll the airplane on over....So then you relax the input,and the rudder can't hold the turn.
If you mix the rudder and aileron sticks in your brain,both thumbs can work in unison to make co-ordinated turns-move one,move the other...eventually you'll make cross controlled adjustments as second nature.
epoxyearl is offline Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 15, 2012, 12:41 PM
Zor
Suspended Account
Ontario,Canada
Joined Feb 2007
9,742 Posts
I agree with epoxyearl that the mix is better done "in the brain" and both sticks are used.

Since an airplane in a turn has a self tendency to over-roll better control is obtained by having the banked attitude on the ailerons while the rudder controls the coordination.

Controlling the coordination means reduce the slipping and/or skidding.

Also do not forget that the force creating the turn comes from the main wings lift that has to be increased to maintain a level turn (steady altitude). That means a higher lift due to an increase of the angle of attack.

So use the elevators as well.

Lots of fellows at our flying field make all the turns going into a dive followed by a sharp climb.

It is not "the best art of flying" .

Zor
Zor is offline Find More Posts by Zor
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 15, 2012, 02:56 PM
www.****enageair.org
Joined Mar 2006
282 Posts
Ok Sorry if I came off snooty, I think it is the individual modelers preference I fly left stick and use a little mix to help the roll in. After I'm in the turn then the coord. has to be maintained with the left stick. The visual cue is the fuselage level in the turn. Here's a pic of me flying A full scale Sopwith Pup so you get an idea of my experience level Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350330981.651415.jpg
Views: 39
Size: 22.3 KB
Description:
us185damiani is offline Find More Posts by us185damiani