HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 23, 2012, 10:08 PM
Joined Nov 2004
1,945 Posts
San Simeon Trip #2

Another great trip flying in San Simeon. Flew multiple slopes training hard for a few hours every day. We would fly for a while at one slope, pack up and head to the next. It was once again VERY productive! We did lots of hiking and had a great time. More memories with my boys to remember for a lifetime.

Words cannot express how spoiled we are flying Point Fermin! Wow! The lift band at Fermin is a mile wide compared to other lip slopes I have been flying. The margin of error at most lip slopes is so small compared to Fermin where you go fast no matter what you do. Yes one can go faster with better execution at Fermin, but the penalty is not even close to the penalty at most other lip slopes….. Much like it will be in Germany, very tough! I can’t wait!

Feeling more confident with each trip up north. I have at least 3 more trips planned before leaving for the WC.

I am hoping we can have a good race there in San Simeon before the WC. There has been talk about it……but will people show up? I hope so. Please!

For the faint at heart……I have now been up in the area 7 days during two separate trips over the last 2 weeks. There has only been 1 day that was not flyable. 6 out of 7 days of flying is solid! The 6 days of flying where very flyable, fun and very challenging. I flew in 25+ with 10 slugs in the FS4 down to 10mph with 2 slugs and everything in between. If you’re up for a challenge and want to test your abilities….please come join us on our next trip. If you love natural beauty and incredible weather……like perfect…… come on the next trip. We would love to have the company.

Kyle
Kyle Paulson is offline Find More Posts by Kyle Paulson
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 25, 2012, 02:02 PM
MCS / NCSS / SVSS / LSC / SAM
United States, CA, Santa Rosa
Joined Jun 2010
1,179 Posts
Team Practice:

I am in for the next trip. I will try to rally the troops and see how many we can get to race.
--------------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------------------------------

In case some have not seen the F3F WC Bulletins by the German Aero Club:
(These must be early ones bulletins, I can't help notice the USA in not listed.)

It is interesting to see where the WC will take place and what Rügen looks like. Very cool looking island in the Baltic Sea.

This is the link: http://www.f3f.de/index.php?id=151
David Olson is online now Find More Posts by David Olson
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 25, 2012, 08:33 PM
Joined Nov 2004
1,945 Posts
Dave you are awesome sir! And you allways encourage me.....thank you!Thanks for your support!

FYI.... next trip to San Simeon will be Aug 24-26th. Can't wait! It would be great to see some other F'ers in SS.

K
Old Jul 25, 2012, 09:21 PM
United States, CA, San Marcos
Joined Jan 2008
1,055 Posts
We actually voted to change the venue of a Socal Slope Racing two day F3F race to be in San Simeon or somewhere close to there on Aug. 25th-26th. I'm sure a thread will be posted soon for this. This will be at two day event, half way between LA and San Fran. This will be great kick off contest for our team! All Nor and Socal F'er's should try and make it.
David C.
David Cortina is offline Find More Posts by David Cortina
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 25, 2012, 09:50 PM
Joined Jun 2010
1,179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Cortina View Post
We actually voted to change the venue of a Socal Slope Racing two day F3F race to be in San Simeon or somewhere close to there on Aug. 25th-26th. I'm sure a thread will be posted soon for this. This will be at two day event, half way between LA and San Fran. This will be great kick off contest for our team! All Nor and Socal F'er's should try and make it.
David C.
I will get the word out up here to NCSS and NorCal F3F.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 25, 2012, 10:08 PM
United States, CA, San Marcos
Joined Jan 2008
1,055 Posts
Thanks Dave,
We can make it a California Cup race! I'll kick down some coin for a trophy!
David Cortina is offline Find More Posts by David Cortina
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 25, 2012, 11:03 PM
Riverside, California, United States
Joined Feb 2004
1,424 Posts
It's great to see all this coming together......

Our original 2 day Weldon race was scheduled for the 25th and 26th....we voted to move the venue to San Simeon area......

I will get with the CD to make final arrangements and get a thread started.....

Thanks guys for your awesome support!

B
Brandon is offline Find More Posts by Brandon
Old Jul 26, 2012, 12:05 PM
Newark, Ca
Joined Jun 2005
417 Posts
On the Calendar, sounds like a great time.

Ken
imacswd is offline Find More Posts by imacswd
Old Jul 26, 2012, 12:43 PM
Joined Jun 2010
1,179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by imacswd View Post
On the Calendar, sounds like a great time.

Ken
Ken:

Great news that you are coming! It will be a good time.

Dave
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 26, 2012, 12:55 PM
Acacia II Lunar Lander
United States, CA, LADERA RANCH
Joined Feb 2011
640 Posts
The missus just made reservations for the San Simeon Lodge. No arm-twisting needed there!
RCRod is offline Find More Posts by RCRod
Old Jul 26, 2012, 08:56 PM
Joined Nov 2004
1,945 Posts
Freakin sweet! We have interest allready!
Old Jul 27, 2012, 08:31 PM
United States, CA, Torrance
Joined Aug 2004
1,707 Posts
I am up for a road trip as well. I have a brief update as well: my 2nd Pike arrived! A yellow/red in "F" layup. Now I have the pair of planes I wanted for the trip. I am feeling excitement building, with the travel confirmed, the entrys paid, hotel booked, its feeling like the date is coming fast. Good thing I have been flying quite alot (missed a few days this week-cursed concrete) and my thumb is running real good. I forsee heavy slope time, and being as grooved as I can for the event...

WD
concreteman is offline Find More Posts by concreteman
Old Jul 27, 2012, 08:33 PM
Joined Aug 2004
1,707 Posts
For got to mention, maidened Pike II today, Fermin, with Kyle Dave and Sam. Perfect conditions and all went exactly correct, no surprise-the planes are identical...

WD
Old Jul 30, 2012, 09:35 PM
Joined Aug 2004
1,707 Posts
Updates: Fermin F3F race 7-28. Went well for me, flew hard for first few rounds and then saw a few planes go down, kind of took the luster off the day. Later, I had a cut and didnt go back to the base in any hurry, and didnt take any unnecessary risk getting there. finished 2nd behind Kyle, flew well, had FTD. Satisfied. Flew new yellow Pike all day.
Today I thought I'd do something different, and went to WhitePoint instead of Fermin for practice session. The agreement is no flying at WP if there are kids on the baseball field. Today-no kids, so I flew. If you have been there, you know it is an angry short slope, but has potential to go quite fast, if flown correctly. I worked and worked, and got my plane going pretty good, it is quite the effort to continually hit the spots that reward you with speed. It as a good session.
All for today. Try it again tomorrow.

WD
Old Aug 07, 2012, 10:40 AM
Joined Aug 2004
1,707 Posts
I have been practicing at the Portugese Bend slope. Quite different than Fermin in the fact that it has been cornering either a little bit, or quite a bit each time I have been there. The good thing about it is the fact that it takes way more precision to extract punch from the slope, so I feel it is quality practice. Fermin offers a wide lift band, and a wingspan here and there isnt near the penalty as one may expect from P.B. The landing at P.B. is a very short walk and there is a good deal of wind for the flaps to grab onto, so you can pretty much fly to an exact spot continually- and no traffic to deal with, or hills to climb, not that it bothered me...
We have a F3F event there this weekend, hopefully the club enjoys the site.

WD