HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 16, 2014, 10:41 PM
Crash Test Dummy
Brunei, Brunei-Muara, Masin
Joined Nov 2013
130 Posts
It is a pain and it does shrink. I sandwich it between two metal baking trays and bring the whole thing across to the vacuum bagger - which holds the heat in long enough to get it in the bag and the pump working, but it is hit and miss. I would have to reheat 50% of the sheets on a good day.

But without access to the kinds of plastics you have, needs must and necessity is the mother of invention.

My most successful is with 'Just Juice' bottles - I haven't measured them, but they are at least 5x thicker than the water bottle PET, but more difficult to cut out and lay flat. Saying that, they do give you a lot of real estate to work with. And at $7 a bottle, we don't often buy it.

I have one clean JJ bottle left, I will try and make some up this week and take pics and accurate times/temps.

I have found the worse shrinkage with my oven set to 'fan' - the hot air blowing over the sheets to get them in a 'ready to sandwich' form makes them crinkle at the edges and shrink a lot more than when the oven is on conventional heat.

EDIT: one thing that may be in my favour - my kitchen is ungodly hot - ambient is around 35C, plus the heat from the oven. At least I'm not fighting off the mossies, like I do in my wood shop. No AC, 5 feet from the jungle and I have to leave the door open or expire. It means woodworking is done at high speed
immike is offline Find More Posts by immike
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 18, 2014, 08:03 AM
I don't like your altitude
Joined Sep 2011
3,352 Posts
I've made a couple of canopies by connecting the bottle to a household vac and heating at the same time.Cut the bottom off the bottle,wedge the plug in place,retape the base and form.
Stupot46 is offline Find More Posts by Stupot46
Old Jun 24, 2014, 05:16 PM
Australia, NSW, Wauchope
Joined Jan 2012
330 Posts
Since this thread is alive again, I have a question.
I've successfully molded a canopy for my guppy glider yesterday but was wondering what adhesive s stick to this type of plastic.
Any advice? Sikaflex maybe?
TLHover is offline Find More Posts by TLHover