HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 06, 2014, 10:09 PM
Theoretical Modeler..
Joined Oct 2007
2,218 Posts
Build Log
ArtHobby Universal 1.5E

Found this older kit for sale on a side table at Toledo Weak Signals Show this weekend, and well, price was too good for me to pass on it. And now that my Sky-EV is back in flying condition, I thought it would be a fun little project.

I shot an email over to ArtHobby to get some history and info, and as always I got a quick reply from them. Apparently this was the electric version of the now missing from the lineup, Falco 1.5M.

They dropped the Universal when brushless motors came to the forefront as it was harder to balance. So, on their advice I am planning on squeezing in a 3s2100 in the nose for the battery. And since the spinner / motor opening is 40mm, finding an appropriately sized motor should not be a problem. I am going to start looking into that this week once the build is under way.
plane_tech is offline Find More Posts by plane_tech
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 07, 2014, 11:17 AM
Michigan's Upper Peninsula
Joined Sep 2007
728 Posts
Good luck with your build and your "new" 1.7m Sky. I hadn't seen the Universal before.

I was out with my 2.0m Sky-EV yesterday. Poor conditions but I needed to get out. Snow was hard enough where I could keep it on top. Got in a few flights but then the wind came up and blew away what little lift I could find.

Ready to go again now. Will probably take my new Fidelity out to get some more time on it. I recently maidened it. Just waiting for a little sun.

Dave
Highride is online now Find More Posts by Highride
Old Apr 07, 2014, 11:38 PM
Theoretical Modeler..
Joined Oct 2007
2,218 Posts
Thanks Dave. I am looking forward to both.

I did get the wing blocks and center jointed sanded, as well as glued up the two panels. Not a lot of work, but enough for the first night.
Letting it cure for a full 24 hours before I go any further with the FG tape over the joint. I didn't like the original job I did on the Sky-EV, but the second time around was much better. That layup was and this one will be:
1" wide 1.7oz cut straight
2" wide 1.7oz bias
3" wide 0.7oz bias.
Old Apr 07, 2014, 11:39 PM
Theoretical Modeler..
Joined Oct 2007
2,218 Posts
Looking at the weather, the re-maiden looks good for wednesday if the weather holds out... And I remember to charge the batteries tomorrow night...
Old Apr 08, 2014, 11:23 AM
Joined Sep 2007
728 Posts
Let us know how that goes. As many times as I have maidened aircraft, I still get a little apprehensive even after an untold number of linkage checks, deflection checks, centering etc and my final range check.

Had my Fidelity out yesterday so I've got about an hour and a half in the air so far. Nice light-air ship, but I did do some dives yesterday along with bucking some fairly strong headwinds. It does well, but it is very light.

Dave
Old Apr 10, 2014, 12:15 AM
Theoretical Modeler..
Joined Oct 2007
2,218 Posts
Re-maiden was a great success. Wind was a little higher than I would have liked, but it's still intact and ready to fly another day.

Yesterday I got the first two layers of glass on the center joint on the Universal wing. Tomorrow will be the third layer.
In the mean time I am going to start on the firewall and the trail section. I am still debating using the provisions to make the tail removable or not. We will just see when it comes to to work on it tomorrow.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 12:29 AM
Joined Sep 2007
728 Posts
Great!

We have 3-4 days of wind coming with gusts up around 30 so no flying. The good news is that these are forecasts. I'm always ready for the dash to the field. Only issue is that I just waxed my pretty black truck!

Dave
Old Sep 29, 2014, 09:46 PM
Theoretical Modeler..
Joined Oct 2007
2,218 Posts
Ok, so this has been dormant for a while. Been flying the heck out of the Sky_EV 1.7 and really didn't know what I was going to do with this thing. The nose of the fuse is too big to put anything small in, and there is just a lot of wasted space.

Soooo... I was thinking of either making a new built up fuse of this wing **OR** just mounting this wing on the Sky Fuse.

Easy-breezy.

Hopefully this shouldn't take too long, but I have a feeling that those nasty dynamic duo 4 letter words are going to be doing a lot of interfering...
Old Sep 30, 2014, 09:56 AM
Joined Sep 2007
728 Posts
So enjoying the Sky 1.7? That was my first AH plane. Still flying after eight years and very good in the thermals for me.

I've included a snap of my two 2.0m AH ships from this past week at the field. It shows both my Sky 2.0 and my Fidelity 2.0. Both great flyers. I've got about seven seasons on the Sky and just put the Fidelity together this spring. Lots of flights on both since I fly several times a week. Have my Fidelity and my Orion 2.5 loaded right now waiting for the weather to break but not looking promising.

Dave
Old Sep 30, 2014, 11:27 AM
Theoretical Modeler..
Joined Oct 2007
2,218 Posts
I like the Sky-EV. It handles well, can thermal good enough for a novice like me to enjoy it and it has some nice speed when needed. I just wish it was lighter ti make use of some of the lighter days.
I have been thinking of getting into the Ibis-ET next.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 11:31 AM
Theoretical Modeler..
Joined Oct 2007
2,218 Posts
After thinking on this for another night ( while masking the wing for a light coat if paint for orientation) I think I am settling on just making a new pod and boom similar to the Sky.
I have the original tail for the Universal and enough stuff laying around I could make a built up pod pretty easily.
Power setup will mirror my Sky, which is a Hyperion 2216? (I think) with a 10x6 and a 3s850.
Hopefully I can keep the weight under the stock Universal and my Sky (24.7oz).