SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 08, 2010, 11:44 AM
Boulder Sloper
United States, CO, Boulder
Joined Mar 2005
305 Posts
Discussion
Scale drawings

What is the best way to scale up a 3 view drawing?

I have a 3 view a plane on my Window 7 computer and I want to scale the drawing up so that I get a 48" and 60" wingspan. What software do I need?

I can use the "paint" program but it's takes alot of trial and error to get what I want. Not to mention waste of paper and ink.
slopeboulder is online now Find More Posts by slopeboulder
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 08, 2010, 12:01 PM
Long to be flyin'
Wirral, (UK)
Joined Dec 2003
3,056 Posts
The old way (pre-PC) I have used is to copy and scale the drawings on to lining paper or the back of smooth wallpaper. It's surprising what you can do with few a drafting tools, rulers and calculators. The most challenging part is scaling any curved lines.
Antonsoarer is offline Find More Posts by Antonsoarer
Last edited by Antonsoarer; Nov 08, 2010 at 12:06 PM.
Old Nov 08, 2010, 12:10 PM
Sane til the lift starts!
Laguna Beach, CA
Joined Jun 2008
10,197 Posts
If it's a high resolution image, take it to a local print shop or Kinko's and have them print it on a large format printer. My local shop charges something like $5 per sheet. I had a "Squadron/Signal Publications" book for the Macchi Folgore, and had them scan it and scale it up to 60" wingspan.

Otherwise, try converting it to a PDF file, set the zoom/scale factor, and then you should be able to tile print it on multiple pages. Tape the pages together and you'll have your plans.
kpeevyhouse is offline Find More Posts by kpeevyhouse
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 08, 2010, 12:21 PM
If it ain't broke...break it!
South Coast, UK
Joined Jun 2006
912 Posts
Irfanview is free and if you load up your 3 view then look under Image> Resize/resample you can adjust the height and width as a percentage of the original.
Or for something that can do pretty much everything Photoshop et al can do, try The Gimp.
Hangtight is offline Find More Posts by Hangtight
Old Nov 08, 2010, 12:45 PM
Paonia, Colorado
Joined Sep 2004
2,478 Posts
Hi Greg,

I just did that with a scale drawing of a StingRay aerobatic glider from an article. I used my copying machine, which has an incremental zoom feature in percentages. By taking a few known measurements from the scale drawings (wing span, stabilizer span, fin height, overall length) and a little arithmetic, I came up a conversion factor for the measurements on the sheet. Then I estimated the desired fin height, for example, and used the copy machine enlargement factor until it matched that height. I then printed out templates for my pattern.

It worked out really well, easier than you would think.
Mike Furcolow is online now Find More Posts by Mike Furcolow
Old Nov 08, 2010, 12:54 PM
Crikey never leave beer behind
Mt Annan Sydney Australia
Joined Dec 2003
23,416 Posts
Personally I dont even bother I scale from 3 views direct to the build material .
1 set of 3 views,1x 6 inch rule 1x36inch Rule and a calculator, decide on wing span I require use the appropriate scale factor and then scale every thing up using that scale factor.
SteveW
steve wenban is offline Find More Posts by steve wenban
Old Nov 08, 2010, 05:46 PM
Twisted and Confused
Joined May 2003
4,350 Posts
The problem with scaling up plans and printing directly is that the lines become blurred and super thick. I use a program called inkscape and wrote a quick tutorial here.

Steve
flyonline is offline Find More Posts by flyonline
Old Nov 11, 2010, 08:19 AM
Callington South Australia
Joined Mar 2006
130 Posts
I like to use an overhead projector to scale up projects, it gives you a
good perspective of the size of the final product also allows you to offer up
components to see how things will fit.

Also allows you to play with the scale easily without waisting mountains
of paper only to find that the size is not quite right.

When happy I simply trace the image on paper taped to the wall.
Old school and low tech but easy to use.

Kev.
Loco1 is offline Find More Posts by Loco1
Old Nov 11, 2010, 09:24 AM
Laguna Beach, CA
Joined Jun 2008
10,197 Posts
Overhead projectors still exist?
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 11, 2010, 11:13 AM
Boulder Sloper
United States, CO, Boulder
Joined Mar 2005
305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpeevyhouse View Post
Overhead projectors still exist?
Oddly enough, I have an Overhead projector, and a drafting board. The drafting board may be rarer than the projector. Never thought about using an overhead projector. Itís been collecting dust in my work shop. In the past I've used Kinko's, graph paper, copy machine and Steve Wenban's method. Thanks for all the input from everyone.

Tuesday was a snow day here in Colorado so I had a chance to download both software programs mentioned above (Irfanview and Inkscape). Spend a few hours playing around with them. Thanks to Steve (flyonline) and his tutorial on Inkscape I was able to do everything I wanted to and more. I like the creative capabilities of the program, stuff that I would have drawn free hand on the drafting board.

I was able to resize too different planes and print out a couple of different sizes for each plane. Know I need to decide which plane and what size to build.

Thanks again for all your help.

Phil Herrington
slopeboulder is online now Find More Posts by slopeboulder
Old Nov 11, 2010, 11:24 AM
Laguna Beach, CA
Joined Jun 2008
10,197 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slopeboulder View Post
Oddly enough, I have an Overhead projector, and a drafting board. The drafting board may be rarer than the projector.

Now I need to decide which plane and what size to build.
I miss those days of using a drafting board, triangles, and actual pencils.

There's no need to decide which plane and what size... just build them all!
RCG Plus Member