SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
 
Thread Tools
Old Mar 29, 2003, 01:42 AM
Normen Strobel
Guest
n/a Posts
Rubber Gloves

I was doing some messy CA glueing today, and used some vinyl gloves.
Unfortunatley the CA bonds very well to the vinyl, and ended up tearing
holes everywhere. Are there any types of rubber gloves that don't bond so
well with CA? I ended up taping Top Flight plan protector sheets to my
fingers.

The only other gloves I have ever heard of are Nitrile and Latex, but I
don't know how they react with CA.

Thanks




-----= Posted via Newsfeeds.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =-----
http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
-----== Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =-----
Old Mar 29, 2003, 01:52 AM
Six_O'Clock_High
Guest
n/a Posts
Re: Rubber Gloves

I don't know, but I will go out to the shop and try some gap filling CA on
some latex gloves and tell you tomorrow.


"Normen Strobel" <nstrobel@nospam.zoominternet.net> wrote in message
news:3e8540be$1_7@corp.newsgroups.com...
> I was doing some messy CA glueing today, and used some vinyl gloves.
> Unfortunatley the CA bonds very well to the vinyl, and ended up tearing
> holes everywhere. Are there any types of rubber gloves that don't bond so
> well with CA? I ended up taping Top Flight plan protector sheets to my
> fingers.
>
> The only other gloves I have ever heard of are Nitrile and Latex, but I
> don't know how they react with CA.
>
> Thanks
>
>
>
>
> -----= Posted via Newsfeeds.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =-----
> http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
> -----== Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =-----
>



Old Mar 29, 2003, 10:12 AM
Bob Cowell
Guest
n/a Posts
Re: Rubber Gloves


the nitrile gloves are somewhat resistant to ca glue.

what we really need are polyethylene gloves



On Sat, 29 Mar 2003 01:41:00 -0500, "Normen Strobel"
<nstrobel@nospam.zoominternet.net> wrote:

>I was doing some messy CA glueing today, and used some vinyl gloves.
>Unfortunatley the CA bonds very well to the vinyl, and ended up tearing
>holes everywhere. Are there any types of rubber gloves that don't bond so
>well with CA? I ended up taping Top Flight plan protector sheets to my
>fingers.
>
>The only other gloves I have ever heard of are Nitrile and Latex, but I
>don't know how they react with CA.
>
>Thanks
>
>
>
>
>-----= Posted via Newsfeeds.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =-----
>http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
>-----== Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =-----


Old Mar 29, 2003, 12:12 PM
Ed Smega
Guest
n/a Posts
Re: Rubber Gloves

Norm,
Have you ever tried using those thin plastic pipettes for applying CA?
If you are using the thin CA they allow very precise application
without a lot of dripping onto your fingers. If you are using the
thicker CA I don't think it will work.
Ed



Normen Strobel wrote:

>I was doing some messy CA glueing today, and used some vinyl gloves.
>Unfortunatley the CA bonds very well to the vinyl, and ended up tearing
>holes everywhere. Are there any types of rubber gloves that don't bond so
>well with CA? I ended up taping Top Flight plan protector sheets to my
>fingers.
>
>The only other gloves I have ever heard of are Nitrile and Latex, but I
>don't know how they react with CA.
>
>Thanks
>
>
>
>
>-----= Posted via Newsfeeds.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =-----
>http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
>-----== Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =-----
>


Old Mar 29, 2003, 02:22 PM
Fred McClellan
Guest
n/a Posts
Re: Rubber Gloves



>>
>>The only other gloves I have ever heard of are Nitrile and Latex, but I
>>don't know how they react with CA.
>>


CA bonds "nicely" to both.

The nitrile gloves are cheaper at Harbor Freight. I use 'em 'cuz I'm
allergic to latex.

The only thing I know CA won't stick to is oil.

Old Mar 29, 2003, 02:42 PM
Six_O'Clock_High
Guest
n/a Posts
Re: Rubber Gloves

I tried some gap filling Zap and it sticks to the latex gloves, but did not
seem to affect them very much. I put a few drops on the palm and made a
fist. After several curls and uncurls, the CA was dry and the glove was
still intact. It got sticky for a few moments, but that went away as the CA
dried.

Not scientific enough for many of the illuminati here, but that is what I
just tested in 56 degree weather.

Good luck,

Jim Branaum
AMA 1428
Six_O'Clock_High@Target_Lock.Guns

"Normen Strobel" <nstrobel@nospam.zoominternet.net> wrote in message
news:3e8540be$1_7@corp.newsgroups.com...
> I was doing some messy CA glueing today, and used some vinyl gloves.
> Unfortunatley the CA bonds very well to the vinyl, and ended up tearing
> holes everywhere. Are there any types of rubber gloves that don't bond so
> well with CA? I ended up taping Top Flight plan protector sheets to my
> fingers.
>
> The only other gloves I have ever heard of are Nitrile and Latex, but I
> don't know how they react with CA.
>
> Thanks
>
>
>
>
> -----= Posted via Newsfeeds.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =-----
> http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
> -----== Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =-----
>



Old Mar 29, 2003, 10:52 PM
Normen Strobel
Guest
n/a Posts
Re: Rubber Gloves

I had to sandwich two thin pieces of balsa together, and had to hold them
together until the CA hardened. The thin CA was wicking through the balsa
grain onto the gloves.

"Ed Smega" <smega@en.com> wrote in message news:3E85D310.3050608@en.com...
> Norm,
> Have you ever tried using those thin plastic pipettes for applying CA?
> If you are using the thin CA they allow very precise application
> without a lot of dripping onto your fingers. If you are using the
> thicker CA I don't think it will work.
> Ed
>
>
>
> Normen Strobel wrote:
>
> >I was doing some messy CA glueing today, and used some vinyl gloves.
> >Unfortunatley the CA bonds very well to the vinyl, and ended up tearing
> >holes everywhere. Are there any types of rubber gloves that don't bond

so
> >well with CA? I ended up taping Top Flight plan protector sheets to my
> >fingers.
> >
> >The only other gloves I have ever heard of are Nitrile and Latex, but I
> >don't know how they react with CA.
> >
> >Thanks
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >-----= Posted via Newsfeeds.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =-----
> >http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
> >-----== Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =-----
> >

>





-----= Posted via Newsfeeds.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =-----
http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
-----== Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =-----
Old Mar 29, 2003, 11:02 PM
Normen Strobel
Guest
n/a Posts
Re: Rubber Gloves

I'm not exactly sure if I'm allergic to latex or not. I was sorting a big
pile of rubber bands into different sizes and skin on my fingers got all
dried and cracked. Wasn't sure if it was the latex or if the powder sucked
all the moisture out of my skin. Just in case I bought vinyl gloves instead
of the latex.

"Fred McClellan" <modelbof@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
news:15sb8vkikmkvlea63kettcc0b5fark44f1@4ax.com...
>
>
> >>
> >>The only other gloves I have ever heard of are Nitrile and Latex, but I
> >>don't know how they react with CA.
> >>

>
> CA bonds "nicely" to both.
>
> The nitrile gloves are cheaper at Harbor Freight. I use 'em 'cuz I'm
> allergic to latex.
>
> The only thing I know CA won't stick to is oil.
>





-----= Posted via Newsfeeds.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =-----
http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
-----== Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =-----
Old Mar 30, 2003, 04:22 AM
The Natural Philosopher
Guest
n/a Posts
Re: Rubber Gloves

Normen Strobel wrote:

> I'm not exactly sure if I'm allergic to latex or not. I was sorting a big
> pile of rubber bands into different sizes and skin on my fingers got all
> dried and cracked. Wasn't sure if it was the latex or if the powder sucked
> all the moisture out of my skin. Just in case I bought vinyl gloves instead
> of the latex.
>



Why not use a barrier cream on your hands then? First off it may not
stick to the CA, secondly, it ought to protect against any glove
allergies as well.

I don't use it much these days, but it was de rigeur when doing metal
bashing in mechanical worksops. And car repairs :-)


> "Fred McClellan" <modelbof@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> news:15sb8vkikmkvlea63kettcc0b5fark44f1@4ax.com...
>
>>
>>>>The only other gloves I have ever heard of are Nitrile and Latex, but I
>>>>don't know how they react with CA.
>>>>
>>>>

>>CA bonds "nicely" to both.
>>
>>The nitrile gloves are cheaper at Harbor Freight. I use 'em 'cuz I'm
>>allergic to latex.
>>
>>The only thing I know CA won't stick to is oil.
>>
>>

>
>
>
>
> -----= Posted via Newsfeeds.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =-----
> http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
> -----== Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =-----
>



Old Mar 30, 2003, 11:52 AM
Fred McClellan
Guest
n/a Posts
Re: Rubber Gloves

On Sat, 29 Mar 2003 22:54:03 -0500, "Normen Strobel"
<nstrobel@nospam.zoominternet.net> wrote:

>I'm not exactly sure if I'm allergic to latex or not. I was sorting a big
>pile of rubber bands into different sizes and skin on my fingers got all
>dried and cracked. Wasn't sure if it was the latex or if the powder sucked
>all the moisture out of my skin. Just in case I bought vinyl gloves instead
>of the latex.
>


If you develop an allergy, you won't have to wonder.

Latex fumes give me headaches and direct contact causes swelling and
joint stiffness along with enough pain to remind me not to do _that_
again.

Old Mar 30, 2003, 02:52 PM
The Natural Philosopher
Guest
n/a Posts
Re: Rubber Gloves

Fred McClellan wrote:

> On Sat, 29 Mar 2003 22:54:03 -0500, "Normen Strobel"
> <nstrobel@nospam.zoominternet.net> wrote:
>
>
>>I'm not exactly sure if I'm allergic to latex or not. I was sorting a big
>>pile of rubber bands into different sizes and skin on my fingers got all
>>dried and cracked. Wasn't sure if it was the latex or if the powder sucked
>>all the moisture out of my skin. Just in case I bought vinyl gloves instead
>>of the latex.
>>
>>

>
> If you develop an allergy, you won't have to wonder.
>
> Latex fumes give me headaches and direct contact causes swelling and
> joint stiffness along with enough pain to remind me not to do _that_
> again.
>
>


Gardening does that to me. I wonder if I am allergic to hard physical
work :-)

Old Mar 30, 2003, 11:02 PM
David AMA40795 / KC5UH
Guest
n/a Posts
Re: Rubber Gloves

When I have to do something like that, I rip off a couple of small
pieces of waxed paper to put under my fingertips.

David

On Sat, 29 Mar 2003 22:50:46 -0500, "Normen Strobel"
<nstrobel@nospam.zoominternet.net> wrote:

>I had to sandwich two thin pieces of balsa together, and had to hold them
>together until the CA hardened. The thin CA was wicking through the balsa
>grain onto the gloves.
>
>"Ed Smega" <smega@en.com> wrote in message news:3E85D310.3050608@en.com...


Old Mar 31, 2003, 09:13 PM
Mike Norton
Guest
n/a Posts
Re: Rubber Gloves

It sticks well to all of them. However -
I have been known to rub a SMALL amount of vaseline onto the Vinyl gloves if
I am doing something where the CA might run away.
"Normen Strobel" <nstrobel@nospam.zoominternet.net> wrote in message
news:3e8540be$1_7@corp.newsgroups.com...
> I was doing some messy CA glueing today, and used some vinyl gloves.
> Unfortunatley the CA bonds very well to the vinyl, and ended up tearing
> holes everywhere. Are there any types of rubber gloves that don't bond so
> well with CA? I ended up taping Top Flight plan protector sheets to my
> fingers.
>
> The only other gloves I have ever heard of are Nitrile and Latex, but I
> don't know how they react with CA.
>
> Thanks
>
>
>
>
> -----= Posted via Newsfeeds.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =-----
> http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
> -----== Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =-----



Old Apr 01, 2003, 04:48 PM
Normen Strobel
Guest
n/a Posts
Re: Rubber Gloves

Hmmm, I wonder if I spray my gloves with a light covering of
polyurathane......


"Bob Cowell" <trash_trap@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:mgdb8vgvc20f09s5s8cr0efg82p77fjp1s@4ax.com...
>
> the nitrile gloves are somewhat resistant to ca glue.
>
> what we really need are polyethylene gloves
>
>
>
> On Sat, 29 Mar 2003 01:41:00 -0500, "Normen Strobel"
> <nstrobel@nospam.zoominternet.net> wrote:
>
> >I was doing some messy CA glueing today, and used some vinyl gloves.
> >Unfortunatley the CA bonds very well to the vinyl, and ended up tearing
> >holes everywhere. Are there any types of rubber gloves that don't bond

so
> >well with CA? I ended up taping Top Flight plan protector sheets to my
> >fingers.
> >
> >The only other gloves I have ever heard of are Nitrile and Latex, but I
> >don't know how they react with CA.
> >
> >Thanks
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >-----= Posted via Newsfeeds.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =-----
> >http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
> >-----== Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =-----

>





-----= Posted via Newsfeeds.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =-----
http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
-----== Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =-----
 


Thread Tools