HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by peterlngh, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Nov 05, 2014, 09:32 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,745 Posts
Contest
The November Big Sky, everyone's invited, Soaring Contest.

THE NOVEMBER BIG SKY INTERNATIONAL
LONGEST DURATION CONTEST FOR ALL ELECTRIC AND HAND LAUNCHED GLIDERS
THERMAL SOARING AND SLOPE SOARING
RULES AND INFO:
Contest will run from 12:01 am November 1st to 11:59 PM November 30th Eastern US time.
The contest is for ALL electric or hand launched gliders or airplanes of all sizes, all materials and all controls. The contest is intended to help motivate you to develop your thermal and slope soaring skills.
The contest is open to all gliders, e-gliders and, if you like, e-airplanes too. If it glides, it qualifies.
In Thermal Duration, the contest is split into three classifications, 2-meter and under E Gliders, Open class E Gliders and Hand Launch Gliders.
You can post as many times as you like using as many planes as you like, but only one will be counted per pilot per category regardless of what kind of plane you are flying. You can replace a shorter time with a longer time any point during the contest. You can fly as many flights as you like.
Goal - longest duration thermal and slope flights without use of the motor.
THE PLANES:
* Any electric motor system or unpowered hand launch glider. (No winches or Hi-Starts).
* Any wing controls and any wing span
* Any construction
BIG SKY - ELECTRIC THERMAL SOARING
1) From a fresh hand or ground launch you can run the motor for up to 30 seconds, then you turn the motor off and you can not restart it. Reclimbs are not permitted. If you restart the motor the flight time is no good.
2) Motor time starts as soon as you apply throttle. This is an LMR, Limited Motor Run contest with a pretty long motor run allowed so that the motor run itself does not provide much advantage to anyone. Many will choose to shut off the motor in less than 30 seconds. No credit for shorter motor runs.
3) Soaring time starts when the motor goes off. Either you time the whole flight and subtract the motor run or you use two watches, one to time the motor run and one to time the flight. I have multiple timers on my radio so I can do this with my radio alone. How you do this is up to you.
4) You can time your own flight if you wish. You are on your honor. Time is truncated to the second. No fractions and no rounding. Read the seconds only.
5) Landing must be within 100 feet of the original launch location or the flight does not count. Landing must be on the ground/grass or pavement. Landing in a tree, bush, structure or other elevated spot that would not normally be a landing spot does not count. There are no other rules around the landing.
6) Time stops when the glider comes to a rest. So the clock keeps running if you clip a branch, or go to land and bounce back into the air. When the plane stops, time stops.
7) You can launch as many times as you like but each flight has to be from a fresh launch from the ground/hand. No reclimbs permitted.
8) Report your best time of the day by posting here. You can post as many times as you like, but only the best one will count. You can fly as many days as you like to work toward your best time. The goal is to achieve personal bests in the fun atmosphere of a contest.
BIG SKY - HAND LAUNCH THERMAL SOARING
1) Soaring time starts at release of the plane.
2) You can time your own flight if you wish. You are on your honor. Time is truncated to the second. No fractions and no rounding. Read the seconds only.
5) Landing must be within 100 feet of the original launch location or the flight does not count. Landing must be hand catch or on the ground/grass or pavement. Landing in a tree, bush, structure or other elevated spot that would not normally be a landing spot does not count. There are no other rules around the landing.
6) Time stops when the glider comes to a rest. So the clock keeps running if you clip a branch, or go to land and bounce back into the air. When the plane stops, time stops.
7) You can launch as many times as you like but each flight has to be from a fresh launch.
8) Report your best time of the day by posting here. You can post as many times as you like, but only the best one will count. You can fly as many days as you like to work toward your best time. The goal is to achieve personal bests in the fun atmosphere of a contest.
BIG SKY - SLOPE SOARING
1) From a fresh hand or ground launch you can run the motor for up to 5 seconds, if you need it to get into the lift. I would expect most slope flights will have no motor run but some sites need a boost to the lift.
2) Motor time starts as soon as you apply throttle and is subtracted from the total flight time.
3) Soaring time starts when the motor goes off. Either you time the whole flight and subtract the motor run or you use two watches, one to time the motor run and one to time the flight. How you do this is up to you.
4) You can time your own flight if you wish. You are on your honor. Time is truncated to the second. No fractions and no rounding. Read the seconds only.
5) Landing has to be within 100 feet of the original launch location or the flight does not count. Landing must be on the same level as the launch. Landing down the slope or up in the trees does not count. You must come to rest in a "normal" landing spot and be able to walk over and pick it up. I realize this can vary by slope site so you are on your honor as to whether this was a normal landing.
7) You can launch as many times as you like but each flight has to be from a fresh launch from the ground or hand. No powered reclimbs permitted. If you restart the motor the flight does not count.
8) Report your best time of the day by posting here. You can post as many times as you like, but only the best one will count. Try as many days as you like to get your best time of the month.
For either contest you report the results via post.
Report Format:
Your Name - Real or RCGroup Name - your choice
Glider/plane name and wingspan:
Thermal, Hand Launch or Slope:
Date and Time of flight:
Duration of flight:
Comments - You are welcome to report anything you like about the day, the flight. Pictures, videos, gps plots, etc are welcome but not required.
I will maintain the thread and keep the second post updated with the top 10 Thermal (2 meter class) top 10 Thermal (Open class)and top ten Slope reports. Only one flight of each type will be recorded in the standings for each pilot. A new better time will replace the original.
THREAD CONTENT -
While it's preferred that posts are about contest business; brief comments about items of common interest are welcome. This includes but is not limited to: new planes, safety warnings, tales of remarkable flights that might not be official entries, humorous incidents, well wishes for those facing health issues, the bloody weather, and messages of congratulation or conciliation. Short of your personal version of War and Peace all comments are welcome unless I receive multiple complaints.

Contest Records:

2 Meter Class:
Andy Grose (dee-grose)
Glider name:Radian
Thermal or Slope: Thermal
Date and Time of flight:April 19, 2012 11:20am
Duration of flight:1:38:04 (after 30 sec motor run)
Max Altitude: 3028ft AGL

Open Class:
MrE / Larry
Sailplane: Bubble Dancer
Date and Time of flight: 13 October 2013 2:30PM
Duration of flight: 1 hr 52 minutes 37 seconds
Weather: Mostly clear, +55F, light variable winds

Hand Launch:
nigel Sheffield
glider blaster dlg
thermal
1/3/2014
time 10:24am
duration 54:26
Yorkshire UK

Slope:
744Drv
Sailplane: Radian Pro 2m
Discipline: Slope
Date time of launch: 26 Nov 12:57
Place: Lookout Hill overlooking Discovery Bay, Hong Kong
Conditions: E 5-10kts
Duration: 3 hrs 2 mins
peterlngh is offline Find More Posts by peterlngh
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 05, 2014, 09:32 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,745 Posts
Monthly Standings.

Open Class:

Leadchucker/Warren
Sailplane: Pulsar 3.6 Pro
Date and Time of flight: 9 November 2014 @ 1215
Duration of flight: 46 min 17 secs-200 metre launch
Weather:Partly Cloudy, +58*f, Wind- 315* @ 5 kts or less.

DLG/HLG

Adam Gibson (xStatiCa)
Glider - 1.5m Binary IV DLG
Thermal, Hand Launch
11/15/2014
Time 2:15 pm
Duration 22:04
New Port Richey, FL
Weather 71 F, Winds calm 0 - 4mph down low but higher above 200 feet it seems

Slope:

nigel Sheffield
glider blaster dlg
Slope
19/112014
time 11:24am
duration 19:05
Yorkshire UK
Last edited by peterlngh; Nov 20, 2014 at 02:44 PM.
Old Nov 09, 2014, 02:31 PM
AMA7224 LSF1832
United States, DE, Seaford
Joined Sep 2008
3,527 Posts
Odd to have a Sunday off and even odder this time of year to have a flyable day let alone a nice flight. Nothing special other than some amazing lift and a fun time mixing it up with the buzzards to dizzying altitudes. Time is from TX timer so no RAM graph as I didn't expect to have anything much to record. 'Im glad i was wrong.

Open Class:
Leadchucker/Warren
Sailplane: Pulsar 3.6 Pro
Date and Time of flight: 9 November 2014 @ 1215
Duration of flight: 46 min 17 secs-200 metre launch
Weather:Partly Cloudy, +58*f, Wind- 315* @ 5 kts or less.
Leadchucker is offline Find More Posts by Leadchucker
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Leadchucker; Nov 10, 2014 at 01:06 PM.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 01:58 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,745 Posts
Hi, guys.

Winter has set in on the frozen tundra and, judging by the lack of entries, I guess the rest of the northern hemisphere has followed suit. The good news is that, now that I have an adequate supply of ducks and geese for our game feeds, I am finally back to work on my scratch build. But?

I am sorry to report that I have been seduced by the dark side and I'm going to build a scale bird for my next project. I am currently leaning towards a Manzo/Aerodrome RC Pfalz DIII. I've wanted one since the film, The Blue Max, came out and now there's a kit available that is in my size and price range. Plus. Modern electric power systems have made smallish WWI planes, and scale planes in general, much more viable. We sure have come a long way since the vicious circle of engine size and a structure heavy enough to support it (Generally leading to a bigger engine and even heavier structure. Hence the "vicious circle".) almost invariably resulting in heavy pigs that barely flew. And I'm really looking forward to being able to use paint without consideration of fuel proofing.

Don't worry. I won't be giving up the gliders any time soon but I should have enough gliders to last until a major crash and I really need a project to keep me from going stir crazy as I watch the snow pile up.

Cheers!
Old Nov 15, 2014, 03:04 PM
Splash down counter: 8
United States, FL, New Port Richey
Joined Jul 2006
1,076 Posts
Adam Gibson (xStatiCa)
Glider - 1.5m Binary IV DLG
Thermal, Hand Launch
11/15/2014
Time 2:15 pm
Duration 22:04
New Port Richey, FL
Weather 71 F, Winds calm 0 - 4mph down low but higher above 200 feet it seems

The sad part is that the conditions are perfect. I was staying with a thermal that was meandering around right above me. I kept the DLG below 1000 feet because there were no clouds. I can't see the DLG as well above 1000 feet without a cloud behind the DLG so I tried to keep it lower. I was able to sit in a chair this time in the shade after 15 minutes (thanks wife ) and was ready to beat my 52 minute personal record and then at 21 minutes I hear... "battery low". I had my wife look at the voltage and it was 5.5v so I nose dived in speed mode (that was fun!) and brought it in quickly. I need to remember to charge more often :/.

I got a flight log but didn't start recording until about 150 feet and around 1 minute into the flight.
xStatiCa is offline Find More Posts by xStatiCa
Last edited by xStatiCa; Nov 15, 2014 at 03:10 PM.
Old Nov 16, 2014, 10:10 AM
Hong Kong, Discovery Bay
Joined Apr 2011
233 Posts
Hot Summer

Hi guys, the summer here has been so hot and humid that I've done very little flying. As it is cooling down now I'm getting up the hill more often. I was there yesterday and a friend videod some of my DS attempts with my Sunbird. Hope the technology doesn't let me down here!!
744drv is online now Find More Posts by 744drv
Old Nov 20, 2014, 03:11 AM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
4,440 Posts
Hand Launch:
nigel Sheffield
glider blaster dlg
Slope
19/112014
time 11:24am
duration 19:05
Yorkshire UK

Hi guys,

Scraped out this flight most of it inches from the ground on the little slope.

Got a 9 min thermal flight with minimoa too, with the keychain camera on board, it disappeared at 1300ft into clouds and took a few seconds which seemed like minutes to reapear spinning down to 800 ft.
Made good video though!
nigelsheffield is offline Find More Posts by nigelsheffield
Last edited by nigelsheffield; Nov 20, 2014 at 03:17 AM.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 09:12 AM
Joined Jul 2006
1,076 Posts
nigelsheffied, Are you going to post the video? I would love to see it. I am especially curious what it looked like inside the clouds.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 11:40 AM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
4,440 Posts
Will do, laptop is being slow though!!!
Inside the clouds it looks white and misty lol!

Here is video!

minimoa clouds (8 min 55 sec)
Last edited by nigelsheffield; Nov 20, 2014 at 12:16 PM.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 05:10 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,745 Posts
Temps have been hovering around 15F-20F and winds have been gusting over 30mph for more than a week. So? I ordered that Pfalz DIII kit. I am giddy with anticipation!
Old Yesterday, 01:15 PM
United Kingdom, England, Sheffield
Joined Jan 2012
10 Posts
Nice video nigelsheffield, is that the m1 motorway near wakefield ? First time i have posted on this thread but i always read it to get some info.

Regards Dean
deansmith is offline Find More Posts by deansmith
Old Yesterday, 02:42 PM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
4,440 Posts
Well spotted dean , just up the road from you!
Old Yesterday, 02:58 PM
Joined Jul 2006
1,076 Posts
Thanks for the video. Neat!

No way would I fly that close to those clouds. I would lose my DLG for sure. Luckily the clouds are always somewhere above 1700 feet when I am flying so I have yet to touch them.