SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 18, 2014, 06:31 PM
Joined Oct 2014
2 Posts
Help!
Super Cub S battery mod - gone wrong?

Hi,

I have a Super Cub S, my first RC plane. The built-in battery was pretty weak, so I wanted to mod the plane to be able to use a better battery. I followed these instructions from here in the forums, which seemed to generally be well-regarded.

Now I have two problems.

The first, and somewhat less important, is that the "mode 1" / SAFE mode doesn't work anymore. It wants to shove the rudder hard to the side, making the plane to a hard left. I am wondering if this has happened because the orientation of the circuit board has changed; from being mounted atop the battery box (parallel to the earth), it is now mounted to the left side wall of the fuselage. Perhaps this is a difference between the board of the LP and the S? Any ideas on how to fix this and properly mod the S?

I have mostly graduated to mode 3 (full manual) anyhow, and so this was a convenient excuse to stop relying on the "emergency" features of the S.

The second problem is that while flying in mode 3, it how will unexpectedly turn left or right. It's not like it's trimmed wrong, or that it was caught in wind; it will just suddenly veer off. My first thought was maybe the battery was wobblying back and forth in the fuselage, but I don't believe it is. The circuit board may not be attached fully steadily, so maybe there is still some sort of leveler going on even in that mode? Or maybe I'm mistaken about the battery? Any hints?

The battery I am using, by the way, is this one that I originally got for my quadcopter. Seems like a very nice fit for this.
CosmicRays is offline Find More Posts by CosmicRays
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 18, 2014, 06:37 PM
yank and bank!!
Joined May 2013
2,288 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicRays View Post
Hi,
I am wondering if this has happened because the orientation of the circuit board has changed; from being mounted atop the battery box (parallel to the earth), it is now mounted to the left side wall of the fuselage.
It all but HAS to be.....the system should use a three axis solid state gyro to tell wha the plane is doing.

If you read of this mod online I can't believe they didn't mention mounting the board in a different attitude would do this.
failboat is offline Find More Posts by failboat
Old Oct 18, 2014, 09:44 PM
Joined Oct 2014
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by failboat View Post
It all but HAS to be.....the system should use a three axis solid state gyro to tell wha the plane is doing.

If you read of this mod online I can't believe they didn't mention mounting the board in a different attitude would do this.
I realized too late it was for the Super Cub LP, not the S, so my fault there.

I guess I will try to find some way to shim it in there in the proper orientation. What gets me, though, is that it is also malfunctioning in manual mode. It doesn't seem to be what it should be doing, but then I guess I always do hear a little minor servo action when carrying the plane and moving it slightly. Audible, but not usually visible.

Anybody else done this mod and found a great way to shim it in?
CosmicRays is offline Find More Posts by CosmicRays
Old Oct 19, 2014, 12:16 AM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,446 Posts
Pull the damned thing out and rely on your thumbs.

mw
Mark Wood is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wood