SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 17, 2013, 11:59 PM
United States, PA, Lewistown
Joined Mar 2012
843 Posts
Video
The Making Of my Radian's Clear Canopy

Parkzone Radian's Homemade Clear Canopy (12 min 49 sec)
Maximilionalpha is online now Find More Posts by Maximilionalpha
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 13, 2013, 09:24 AM
always looking for clouds
Joined Aug 2010
423 Posts
must watch this when i get home. work comp wont play vids
socommk23 is offline Find More Posts by socommk23
Old Mar 13, 2013, 09:38 AM
Joined Mar 2012
843 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by socommk23 View Post
must watch this when i get home. work comp wont play vids
Well it's kinda boring and I could've did a much better job of editing it, so, I'll be making another canopy making video, pretty soon with a much better step-by-step.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 09:39 AM
Joined Aug 2010
423 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximilionalpha View Post
Well it's kinda boring and I could've did a much better job of editing it, so, I'll be making another canopy making video, pretty soon with a much better step-by-step.
well i hope i can use the info to remake my condor canopy that is now knackered
Old Mar 13, 2013, 10:38 AM
Joined Mar 2012
843 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by socommk23 View Post
well i hope i can use the info to remake my condor canopy that is now knackered
Condor? I love the Condor(Voodoo Condor), to be exact. Well, I hope this vid will help you out a bit. BTW, the plastic that I am using is, .058 inch thick. I took it from an old picture frame that we bought at Walmart.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 11:11 AM
Joined Aug 2010
423 Posts
Quote:
Condor? I love the Condor(Voodoo Condor), to be exact. Well, I hope this vid will help you out a bit. BTW, the plastic that I am using is, .058 inch thick. I took it from an old picture frame that we bought at Walmart.
i have the condor magic. airbrakes on order. thinking of retractable wheel. just fitted a tow relese and converted a trainer into a tug.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 11:35 AM
Joined Jan 2007
4,841 Posts
Max, I admire your enthusiasm in fabricating your own canopy. Most people would just order another one. That you used what you had to make it is cool as well. I too make canopies as well as other molded item's and I make the mold's as well, it's kind of an illness with me. I just bought a Flyzone Calypso and maybe I should make a mold of it's canopy. I've made canopies out of carbon-fibre and fiber-glass. I just sent a Hobie Hawk canopy to a fellow glider guider in Calif. You have to be careful if you get a cf one as it will block the control signal if you don't put your antenna clear of it. They do look cool though.
prodjx is offline Find More Posts by prodjx
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 13, 2013, 12:05 PM
Joined Mar 2012
843 Posts
That's a pretty cool canopy, prodjx, but I don't think that I'll ever feel the need to make a cf one for my beat up Radian(lol). But I will, one day, make an entire fuselage from cf. Maybe for my Turkey Buzzard glider that I'm building. It's designed in every aspect, like the real bird, with no vertical stab, but, that's still a partial project in the works.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 12:07 PM
Joined Mar 2012
843 Posts
You want to sell that condor magic, socommk23?
Old Mar 13, 2013, 02:38 PM
Joined Aug 2010
423 Posts
Quote:
You want to sell that condor magic, socommk23?
not a chance. mods in the pipeline for it. itll be the first glass ship ill be aerotowing with.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 03:09 PM
Joined Mar 2012
843 Posts
I've got several guitars, (Martin 12 string Sigma series, and an ESP H-50 electric). I can't get rid of these things for the life of me.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 08:35 PM
Joined Jan 2007
4,841 Posts
What no ESP Viper 400? I've built a few guitar's too. I have a few fuse mold's and one of them is a Vulcan 2m v-tail it's a pretty straight forward layup. I also have a pod mold for a 2m that was featured in Sailplane and Electric model's as a plan's built glider. If you ever have any question's about working with composites I'll be happy to try to answer them. BTW have you ever heard of Philadelphia Glider Council? It's a F/S glider club in Doyles town PA. I did some glider flying there in 1970. Nice field.Oh if you go to Petral finely molded here on the group's search engine you can see the whole mold building process.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 14, 2013, 03:35 AM
Joined Aug 2011
221 Posts
The method that Im using for making canopies is shrinking a PET-bottle around a canopy plug. This way you get the exact shape provided that the plug is in a snug fit inside the bottle before you heat it up. I always use a heatgun for shrinking the bottle.
xardinen is online now Find More Posts by xardinen
Old Mar 14, 2013, 11:37 AM
Joined Jan 2007
4,841 Posts
I once read a story about a modeler checking out various shaped plastic bottle's in a store. He was looking for one to make a canopy from. He was asked to leave the store because the manager thought he was a shop lifter. That's a neat way of making a canopy X. I've thought about making 2 identical plug's and doing it that way. Finding the right bottle is the hardest thing though.
RCG Plus Member