HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 20, 2014, 09:11 PM
Joined Sep 2014
114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thosmosis View Post
Anyone notice the Archer rattle as it flies overhead? I didn't know what it was for the longest time. Until someone on RCG mentioned the landing gear.

Don't know if they are the same construction as they were a year ago. But it seems that my wheels vibrate on the the metal rod gear. Sounds like a servo chatter.

But it't impossible to simulate unless it's in the air.

Listen for it...
It's quite an odd sound. My sport cub makes a similar sound. I added lubricant to the plastic wheels and it goes away for a while.
Relisys190 is offline Find More Posts by Relisys190
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 20, 2014, 09:39 PM
Comic Art Collector
United States, NY, Eastchester
Joined Jul 2013
481 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relisys190 View Post
Okay so the Archer will be my second project this weekend.

I'm upgrading ESC and prop on my Sport Cub and i plan on putting the 18amp into the Archer with a 9x6 beechwood prop. I'm very curious about this setup and just how "spirited" it will be
I planned the same thing, soldered new motor connectors onto the 370 in the Archer, managed to cram the Sport Cub 18 amp ESC into the Archer (did some digging), set everything up, threw in one of the Archers 2S batteries and...zilch!!

The 18 amp ESC from the Sport Cub is 3S only...
DrewC is offline Find More Posts by DrewC
Old Nov 20, 2014, 09:57 PM
Joined Sep 2014
114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewC View Post
I planned the same thing, soldered new motor connectors onto the 370 in the Archer, managed to cram the Sport Cub 18 amp ESC into the Archer (did some digging), set everything up, threw in one of the Archers 2S batteries and...zilch!!

The 18 amp ESC from the Sport Cub is 3S only...
Well, shucks.

I'll come up with something.
Old Yesterday, 02:01 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Oct 2013
609 Posts
Quote:
I have the 1300 3s pack that came with my sport cub which I NEVER use for it. (I fly 2200's on the sport cub)

Will the stock motor handle 3s?
Yes, it flies great on 3s and stock prop. Had no problems with motor. Just upgrade to larger ESC, 18A is fine.
deadzone is offline Find More Posts by deadzone
Old Yesterday, 03:21 PM
Joined Sep 2014
114 Posts
I just finished my sport cub upgrade (30 amp). So now I'm gonna put the 18 into the archer and fly it with the sport Cubs 1300 3s

This thing is gonna haul booty lol.
Old Yesterday, 03:24 PM
"Some do, some don't"
United States, MI, Grand Rapids
Joined Jul 2013
655 Posts
Quote:
I just finished my sport cub upgrade (30 amp). So now I'm gonna put the 18 into the archer and fly it with the sport Cubs 1300 3s

This thing is gonna haul booty lol.
Do me (us) a favor, check motor temp a few times, don't bother to pull the cowl just kinda get your hand close to motor with cowl still on, see if the "stock" motor is happy or not... Static tests are NOT the same as real flyin...

Thanks

Mark R.
old_coastie is offline Find More Posts by old_coastie
Old Yesterday, 03:46 PM
Joined Sep 2014
114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_coastie View Post
Do me (us) a favor, check motor temp a few times, don't bother to pull the cowl just kinda get your hand close to motor with cowl still on, see if the "stock" motor is happy or not... Static tests are NOT the same as real flyin...

Thanks

Mark R.
I sure will. I have an IR Temp gun I can get a good reading with.

I'll keep you guys posted.
Old Yesterday, 05:20 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined May 2012
190 Posts
It seems the Archer RTF with a DX4 is now still available on the HH outlet site at $119. Last call for an Archer?
J Mitchel is online now Find More Posts by J Mitchel
Old Yesterday, 05:33 PM
I am GBLynden
United States, WA, Lynden
Joined Mar 2011
3,052 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mitchel View Post
It seems the Archer RTF with a DX4 is now still available on the HH outlet site at $119. Last call for an Archer?
I just saw that too and that is my guess, although it doesn't say clearance or discontinued, so who knows. It may come down to how many batts and spare parts they have stacked up.
GBLynden is online now Find More Posts by GBLynden
Old Yesterday, 06:26 PM
Joined Sep 2014
9 Posts
I bought my Archer about 3 weeks ago with the idea it would be a good low wing inexpensive trainer without any stabilization and I can say that is has met those criteria quite well. I started flying 3 months ago on a radian then moved to an apprentice so I don't have much experience and can't say this plane has been difficult at all to learn. The hardest part was trying to get it trimmed on first flight where if I'd done things right I would have removed the warp in the ailerons rather than adjust the linkage to split the difference. Anyways I got that sorted the right way and it flies quite well now. It does land hot so I started thinking about what it would take to add flaps.

I had a 6 channel spektrum rx in my parts box so I put that in place of the 4 channel rx and set it up for flaperons. I know that this arrangement has a greater tendency for tip stalls but it's a cheap plane and worth the sacrifice to me just to answer that question and it worked pretty good. I cut the throttle to descend, applied 1/2 flaps (10mm throw) then leveled out about 2 ft from the ground and it floated onto the runway for a perfect landing.

Unfortunately while taxiing back for a second flight my prop hit a twig and due to the sub freezing temps it shattered like glass. I decided since I had wait to get replacement props I might as well fabricate actual flaps and get those working, so I also ordered two more of the archer wing servos and now have those installed and functioning. That mod didn't change the CG very much, I only had to move the battery forward about 1/4 inch to get the correct CG. Now I just need the weather to cooperate so I can get the plane in the air. Will update with results once I have them.
freddy_fo is offline Find More Posts by freddy_fo