HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 22, 2013, 02:05 PM
Joined Jan 2013
50 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FITandFUEL View Post
It was a great morning to fly around so I thought I'd share some video! This is just the raw video straight from the camera, no filters or stabilization. I think I've finally solved the problem with the gimbal vibrating a bit, all it took was a rubber band to add some resistance.

And the guys in the pick up knew I was going to fly past, they got a kick out of the FatShark's
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAHgs...ature=youtu.be
This is a GREAT video! Excellent quality and you sure can fly the Phantom! There is no way you could've done what you did in the video without an FPV system. I'm also very impressed with the stability you are getting from it. Which Gimbal are you using?
Pfreddy is offline Find More Posts by Pfreddy
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 22, 2013, 02:31 PM
Fly Micro Scale to Full Scale
United States, VA, Brandy Station
Joined Nov 2011
204 Posts
FPV and Gimbals and Hero 3

Newbie here ....a bit confused. I clearly understand and really did FPV - can't wait to try it.

From the videos on the the thread - gimbals keep the camera level regardless of the flight attitude - I get that.

Here's my question for the FPV guys using the GoPro as your FPV camera.

When you are descending to land, wearing googles or other form of HMD - what reference do you use to control your rate of descent and how do you know when you are close to the ground? Your camera, even if gimbal mounted is looking straight ahead.

Is there anyone using a separate FPV camera that is mounted on top of the Phantom? If so, how'd you do it? And the same question above - what reference do you use to control your rate of descent and how do you know when you are close to the ground?

BTW, that video posted by Fit and Fuel - absolutely wicked!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAHgs...ature=youtu.be
fun2av8rc is offline Find More Posts by fun2av8rc
Old Feb 22, 2013, 02:36 PM
Joined Jan 2011
2,311 Posts
my cams are always aiming slightly down for the reason you mentioned, not just straight ahead or down.
branflakes is offline Find More Posts by branflakes
Old Feb 22, 2013, 03:09 PM
DJI and Empire Support
United States, MS, Ridgeland
Joined Feb 2009
4,994 Posts
Landing w/FPV

Quote:
Originally Posted by branflakes View Post
my cams are always aiming slightly down for the reason you mentioned, not just straight ahead or down.
I'm not an FPV'er.
I guess (like vantassic says) I'm a LOS'er.

I do read many posts by the FPV crowd.
Many pilots take their goggles off and land LOS...
T J Gilbert is offline Find More Posts by T J Gilbert
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 22, 2013, 03:24 PM
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Feb 2013
98 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T J Gilbert View Post
I'm not an FPV'er.
I guess (like vantassic says) I'm a LOS'er.

I do read many posts by the FPV crowd.
Many pilots take their goggles off and land LOS...
Outside of the FatShark.. I'm still trying to figure out a good and not too expensive FPV system for my Phantom.
Not sold on wearing goggles, but I will look like a lunatic if I have to!
hellaskan is offline Find More Posts by hellaskan
Old Feb 22, 2013, 03:33 PM
Joined Jan 2011
2,311 Posts
Slow Stick Night FPV (2 min 55 sec)

this is what I hope to do with the phantom when it gets in. I need something a little more wind resistant than the slow stick. I posted this to show a takeoff and landing bvlos and my cam is shown zip tied to the leading edge of the wing, fixed, it aims perfectly for all uses. I will do the same w my phantom, just aim it down a bit. Im keeping weight low...no go pro, just fpv gear.

This isn't meant to offend peeps with public fpv excursions if it helps any, I fly when nobody is out. you might get a thump on your house but nothing w be harmed except my wallet

I always fly 12-3 am literally there is no one, just preparing for the storm I know...hate to pack up and go to a field, I want all my fpv to occur in my front yard for max convenience. Nobody even knows Im flying when I fly, except for neighbor who usually is my drunken spotter, our spotter setup is simple. Im in the house flying, he's out front in a lawn chair and a sixer laughing while I flash lights occasionally from the sky, pretty harmless. The front door is propped open, he hollers out if I need to come down. Coincidentally, we dont get a lot of planes in the nas above my house at 12-3 am either.
branflakes is offline Find More Posts by branflakes
Old Feb 22, 2013, 03:44 PM
Flying R/C since 1964
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Sep 2004
3,545 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BH flyer View Post
In the time it took to type that response, a kind answer could have been provided. I had never heard the term either, except in reference to plants.
But he typed it just once and may save many future posts where the answer to a question is readily available.

AND it takes less time to type "potted electronics" into Google than to type out a question on here.

And if you give a man a fish you feed him for a day. If you teach a man to fish he can feed himself for a lifetime.
kallend is offline Find More Posts by kallend
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Using a DX9 to "strobe" LED...
Old Feb 22, 2013, 03:48 PM
Joined Dec 2002
673 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fire-eyes View Post
(snip -- is in reply to the nuts post)

This is a VERY useful post, thank you for taking the time and effort!

I went to the hardware store but had no idea what the terminology is for for the nylocks... I got very close though, just slightly wider than the thread on the shaft. Which sounds like a silly mistake, but it was before my phantom had even arrived. Oh well it was a crapshoot.

So when I'm looking at those boxes upon boxes of nyloc nuts, what is the letter / size / etc that will work with the graupners?
Thank you. I should mention also that the size should read M6-1 (thread size = 6mm. and pitch = 1mm.) and of course it is METRIC not SAE (standard), so there is no point searching through the bins a Home Depot that mark SAE.
tanasit is offline Find More Posts by tanasit
Old Feb 22, 2013, 04:06 PM
Joined Dec 2002
673 Posts
Prop nut warning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by T J Gilbert View Post
Be careful using the flex top and special lock nuts that you have pictured.
These nuts are steel and, I believe, the Phantom/DJI motor shaft is aluminum.
Because these nuts use a mechanical pressure on the shaft threads to lock, they can potentially harm the threads on the motor shaft.
Their spring lock action actually causes something similar to running a die down over the threads.
A sure indication of this is aluminum glitter on the top of the prop...

Also, if that's red locktite on your modified DJI prop nuts, I'd be careful there too.
Many times it takes heat to get red to release.
FWIW locktite blue is adequate.
Also, it looks like some loctite might be getting on the prop.
Locktile will cause plastics to degrade...
I couldn't agree with you more on that since the motor shaft is a part of the can which is aluminum. I learnt that the hard way today when I tried the new lock nut below. First the nuts went down fine and then it got harder to turn down but I managed to tighten them. I started my Phantom and just before it lifted off, it tipped over. Upon closer inspection, a nut back out just enough for the prop to disengage. It only took less than 1/4 turn for the prop to become loose. I later decided to remove them but it was very difficult to turn and since the nut is steel and the shaft is aluminum like you said, some threads on the shaft were shaved off! From now on I will only use aluminum nut on aluminum shaft.

By the way, the red color you see is just the touch up paint not the red loctite that requires the heat to remove.

Do NOT use the nuts that look like above.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 04:25 PM
DJI and Empire Support
United States, MS, Ridgeland
Joined Feb 2009
4,994 Posts
@tanasit

I don't think I'd recommend using these either...
T J Gilbert is offline Find More Posts by T J Gilbert
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 22, 2013, 04:31 PM
Joined Dec 2002
673 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellaskan View Post
Am I allowed to mention another site on here? If not, mods just delete this and I'll understand.. no hard feelings, just trying to help.

phantompilots.com had a post the other day about a guy who used a utility/toolbox he bought from Home Depot ($40.00 Husky brand) His Phantom fit without issue.
(am I allowed to link that forum here?)

Somewhere else on their forums I saw a Phantom rep come in and mention that they have a phantom specific case coming out from a partner/vendor (maybe?) and that it will be reasonably cheap. Looking for more info on that right now, I cannot find the exact thread.
I had been looking for the case too and finally decided to go with the Duratool MJ-139-20.5 Weatherproof Tool Box:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This seems to be the cheapest with weather proof. The case itself is somewhat heavy but I did not use the top foam pad which is the pick and pluck.

Old Feb 22, 2013, 04:49 PM
Joined Jan 2013
413 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfreddy View Post
This is a GREAT video! Excellent quality and you sure can fly the Phantom! There is no way you could've done what you did in the video without an FPV system. I'm also very impressed with the stability you are getting from it. Which Gimbal are you using?
Thank you! The phantom is my first quad and I've been practicing daily since I got it.

The FPV system is a lot of fun and the tilt gimbal adds a lot of versatility to the FPV. I built the gimbal myself but I imagine that a gimbal such as the one sold on here by "GGoodRum" may offer even smoother results as it is geared 2:1. This works well for me until those brushless ones come out!

The stability is mostly from the quad, the gimbal only compensates for the tilt axis. Today was my second day trying out some 9x5x3 tri-blade propellors and they are pretty smooth so far.

- Tom
FITandFUEL is offline Find More Posts by FITandFUEL
Last edited by FITandFUEL; Feb 22, 2013 at 04:56 PM.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 05:06 PM
United States, IL, Belleville
Joined Oct 2006
589 Posts
OK with all this prop nut talk I am now confused as to what nuts I will need to properly use the Graupner 8x5 props that I ordered. Can someone point me in the right direction on where to buy them please?
JUCD VPR is offline Find More Posts by JUCD VPR
Old Feb 22, 2013, 05:30 PM
Denmark, Central Denmark Region, Karup
Joined Aug 2012
254 Posts
electronicarc.com
if you are in EU thats where to buy them. Day to day shipping with dhl
vartaz is offline Find More Posts by vartaz
Old Feb 22, 2013, 05:38 PM
Joined Dec 2012
28 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevo42 View Post
May need help here, well had my first crash with the Phantom filming a training session and smacked into a tree as going for a closer shot ... I now got the dreaded red green orange flashing lights.

Now when I plug into the software I have error 25 and also in the acceleration "y" has error in the box. Ok what is the bad news with this. I have read it could be the Naza MC which may have been damaged? I haven't had time to open the Phantom as yet but I'm hoping it may be a loose wire some where.
Thanks,

JS
Ok received information in regards to error 26 which also relates to error 25 and Red Green Orange flashing lights. DJI U.S division were great in information but also like to thank the company where I purchased as they chased me to give me the fix on this. Don't know how they found out, but it is good to know you can have service like this.

Email receiced: Hi John

Tried to call you to solve the Phantom problem - red-green-orange
This is also known as the Acc Y ERROR - ERR{26}

This type of error is caused by the NAZA inside being subject to a crash or a shipping handle jarring - sudden G
The fix involves removing the NAZA from the Phantom ; disconnecting all wiring - apply a sharp G force to it (tapping it once briskly against a table top) - re-install and fly

I can go over this with you on the phone

cheers Q

Thanks for looking at our site and our products!

Regards
Quinton Marais
AlouetteIII

MultiWiiCopter.com
33 Doubleview Dr, ELANORA, Q 4221
AUSTRALIA info@multiwiicopter.com
T ±61 7 5598 3999

Hope this helps others.

Regards,

JS
Stevo42 is offline Find More Posts by Stevo42