New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 30, 2015, 03:19 PM
Find More Posts by DonRhone
Canada, BC, Terrace
Joined Mar 2014
107 Posts
Discussion
Glasair Sportsman

Hi, when the Horizon Hobby Sportsman was first released it was labeled as the Glasair Sportsman and used the HBZ7651 receiver.

The plane has since been re-released as the HH Sportsman and now has the SAFE receiver.

When the plane was first released as the Glasair Sportsman both this plane and the Apprentice were advertised as having a VIrtual Pilot programed receiver that made flying much easier. Both planes could be landed using their lowest control rate.

I see that this particular receiver is still available from HH, it is a four channel receiver. Is this an earlier equivalent of the SAFE receiver, such as what the Corsair uses, a four channel receiver?

I have one of these planes, it is a great flyer, but has such a large wingspan the only place I felt comfortable flying it was as the CAMA field, it is much too large for the local parks and playfields.

Has anyone tried this receiver in any other planes?
DonRhone is online now Find More Posts by DonRhone
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 30, 2015, 03:32 PM
Find More Posts by Rampage
What tree?
United States, CA, Twentynine Palms
Joined Aug 2005
3,268 Posts
>$350.00

Lol.
Rampage is offline Find More Posts by Rampage
Old Apr 30, 2015, 04:02 PM
Find More Posts by Dave Eichstedt
Horizon Hobby Employee
Mahomet, Illinois
Joined Aug 2007
2,347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampage View Post
>$350.00

Lol.
Fully autonomous landing capability.
Dave Eichstedt is offline Find More Posts by Dave Eichstedt
Site Sponsor
Old May 01, 2015, 04:13 AM
Find More Posts by seanudal
Joined May 2013
95 Posts
SAFE Plus Technology.

This plane has awesome technology. I wonder if the next Apprentice will have SAFE +
seanudal is offline Find More Posts by seanudal
Old May 01, 2015, 04:14 AM
Joined May 2013
95 Posts
Autoland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Eichstedt View Post
Excellent.

HobbyZone Sportsman S+ - Autoland (0 min 51 sec)
Old May 01, 2015, 04:15 AM
Joined May 2013
95 Posts
Holding Pattern

Smart idea.

HobbyZone Sportsman S+ - Holding Pattern (0 min 56 sec)
Old May 01, 2015, 04:16 AM
Joined May 2013
95 Posts
Virtual Fence

This will work well.

HobbyZone Sportsman S+ - Virtual Fence (0 min 55 sec)
Old May 01, 2015, 04:21 AM
Joined May 2013
95 Posts
I wonder what receiver this has?
Old May 01, 2015, 05:35 AM
Find More Posts by Joe Perrone
doha Qatar
Joined Jan 2004
639 Posts
That is some incredible stuff. I'm sure the purists will put it down; but if you've ever had a plane just disappear out there, you'll appreciate this.

What's next? Can we have a direct link to brain without Tx?
Joe Perrone is offline Find More Posts by Joe Perrone
Old May 01, 2015, 07:41 AM
Find More Posts by stemo99
United States, NJ, Pennsville
Joined Feb 2008
606 Posts
It's already been done. I used to work for them and it did really work, sort of.
http://www.atarimuseum.com/videogame.../mindlink.html
stemo99 is offline Find More Posts by stemo99
Old May 01, 2015, 08:00 AM
Find More Posts by Capt Ed
United States, NC, Wilmington
Joined Apr 2013
298 Posts
Very glad to see the Glasair Sportsman continue to live. I love my original Glasair and still fly it often. It has a beautiful presence in the air and on expert can do just about everything.

I think the price is reasonable considering the flight features. As DonRhume said, the original plane needed lots of room. And, for beginners like me it just flew too big and fast. I was still thinking about how to fly the plane and there just wasn't time enough to stay out of trouble before I could figure out the correct input. The new technology will be a great help to many new pilots in my opinion.

Like I said, I'm glad to see it back.
Capt Ed is offline Find More Posts by Capt Ed
Old May 01, 2015, 10:52 AM
What tree?
Joined Aug 2005
3,268 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Eichstedt View Post
It's still a fairly small foam airplane with a 480 motor, a small battery and a cheap TX. Seems like it's a foam airplane with the 350 QX's features, which make sense on a multirotor, but on an airplane?

Couldn't SAFE already essentially land the plane autonomously?

And is a trainer that does everything for you really a good trainer? What's it training you to do? Further rely on electronic safety nets?

Maybe I'll buy the airframe, because it is a good-looking plane and always has been. But hell it's still $120.00 for the foam, if the prices are the same as the old one (and the parts currently listed are)..
Old May 01, 2015, 11:10 AM
Find More Posts by liam4
United Kingdom, England, Bedford
Joined Aug 2012
31 Posts
Wow as someone who has been sticking up for SAFE in its existing form as a really handy learning tool, I find the idea of a plane that literally flys and lands itself as a bit too much :/

I guess tech moves faster than people do lol
liam4 is offline Find More Posts by liam4
Last edited by liam4; May 01, 2015 at 09:34 PM.
Old May 01, 2015, 08:17 PM
Find More Posts by Rockin Robbins
buyer of the farm
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Mar 2009
5,492 Posts
Does it do return to launch when it loses signal? This looks like a significant step forward. Hey, if you want bleeding edge you gotta be willing to bleed some cash.

If you want cheap just buy Nitroplanes or Bananahobby. But they'll never improve the lot of the RC hobby with their cheap, all planes "perfect for beginner or expert," customer no-service rip off and run business model.

The satisfaction of great quality endures long after the sting of a high price is forgotten. The bitterness of low quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Rockin Robbins is offline Find More Posts by Rockin Robbins
Old May 01, 2015, 11:18 PM
What tree?
Joined Aug 2005
3,268 Posts
It's not really "bleeding edge" though. Every feature this offers has been on the multi-rotor scene for a few years now. Including their own 350QX. Other SAFE models also have auto-takeoff and auto-land features. The Delta Ray does for sure because I've played around with it and it works exactly like this one does. So even that's not a new feature.

The electronic fences and return-home features are cool, but how often are you likely to actually need them? Flyaways are exceedingly rare and you hear about them once every great while. I've never had a flyaway in 20 years and I don't personally know anyone that has. At least not with power planes. With huge competition gliders, maybe, that get carried away by thermals...But not a 55" foam trainer...Seems like a lot of money to pay for a feature set to protect you from something that's stupendously unlikely.

You can bash other brands as "cheap" all you want but lower price doesn't mean lower quality and higher price doesn't mean better quality. The $125.00 fiberglass 65" CMP Cessna 182 I just bought from Nitroplanes, which is an absolute work of art, is half the price of the Great Planes Cessna 182 ARF, is the same size and has more scale lines...

And I'll have it flying for less than $350.00