Old Jan 12, 2016, 05:24 PM
Find More Posts by ghcrash
GH crash - I practice a lot
United States, OK, Bartlesville
Joined Oct 2011
138 Posts
Question
Flight path control for landing

How do you control the flight path during landing?

I normally establish a glide speed then used flaps to control the glide path, or sink rate. I'm wondering how other people do it and if there is a better way.

And if you use flaps, spoilers or Crow (upward aileron deflection), where is that function set up on your radio; is it on the throttle stick, a slider or a switch.
ghcrash is offline Find More Posts by ghcrash
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 12, 2016, 09:17 PM
Find More Posts by JimNM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Las Cruces, New Mexico, United States
Joined Jun 2002
8,127 Posts
There are as many kinds of cats as they have skins.

I use spoilerons, flapperon, butterfly and or slow spinning propeller to act as windmill brake. I use a three way switch, a slider, a throttle stick and flaps on throttle. I have different planes and different glide path control on each one. Pick one that works for you and your model. If you want advice, tell us about your plane, radio and skill set.
JimNM is offline Find More Posts by JimNM
Old Jan 13, 2016, 08:27 AM
Find More Posts by Leadchucker
AMA7224 LSF1832
United States, DE, Seaford
Joined Sep 2008
3,849 Posts
All mine are the same whether flaps or spoilers, on the throttle stick. I use up stick ( or full throttle) for deployed and back stick for retracted as I have for 40 years. There's no right or wrong way or setup, you have to find one that you like.
Leadchucker is offline Find More Posts by Leadchucker
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 13, 2016, 08:48 AM
Find More Posts by JimNM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Joined Jun 2002
8,127 Posts
For the approach question (I neglected to address the "How") - it depends on the plane.

My Elegant 700 has butterfly on a 3 way switch.
1) Clean wing
2) Full spoiler and 1/2 flap
3) Full Spoiler, full flap and a little elevator compensation

Depending on energy on approach I usually will drop to #3 until in ground effect, then will back off to #2 to avoid dragging flaps on touch down. On #3, I can point the plane straight down and it will not gain excessive speed.

On my RES Mystique, I have spoilers on slide.. Now that it is tuned to my preference, I primarily use the slider as a binary (all off/all on).
1) Normal
2) Full extension

The spoilers are not as effective as flaps for slowing the model down -as the decreased lift makes for increased sink. I have dialed in a small amount of up elevator compensation to keep the fuse level. The spoilers have come to the rescue many times when the Mystique is at altitude and I need to bring it down. The Mystique wing is prone to flutter at high speeds. I deploy spoilers and speed mode together to convince the glider to come home safely.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 08:55 AM
Find More Posts by ghcrash
GH crash - I practice a lot
United States, OK, Bartlesville
Joined Oct 2011
138 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I wasn't hunting for advice as much as information about how other people do it.

I have two RES planes and on them I have the spoilers on the throttle stick. On my full house, aileron and flaps, planes the flaps are on the a slider. Both of the full house ships are capable of Crow but I have never needed it.

You that use Crow, can you tell me your control setup and how you do landings. Do you Crow ailerons on a switch and the flaps on a slider or what? Do you set the crow then vary the flaps on landing or do you do it some other way?

And, out of curiosity, how are you controlling the throttle. I'm pretty sure that for hotliners the throttle is on the throttle stick. But how do the ALES guys do it?
ghcrash is offline Find More Posts by ghcrash
Old Jan 13, 2016, 09:18 AM
Find More Posts by JimNM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Joined Jun 2002
8,127 Posts
I have tried the binary throttle and I found it lacking in finesse. I fly sport and ALES launches and the only gliders of mine that have the flight path control on the left stick (throttle) are the DLGs.

I have determined that what works for me is to put the glide path control on a 2 way or 3 way switch and have the throttle as proportional. There are ways to make the throttle and the flight path control operate on the same switch by way of flight modes - but I don't like to make things harder than they need to be

There are times that I may want just a touch of power - like function check before launch. I really do not want to go to full bore with 800+ watts of air ripping power at less than an arm's length from my face, or a go round for a missed landing.(not that common with the models with more complicated wings - but pretty common for simple wing gliders) . just a little boost to go round with out adding to the energy too much. On the most simple R/E/T gliders, I use the prop just barely turning over to create drag. I have had two cases of extreme concern for fly-away with the Mystique where I needed to add prop windmill to the full spoiler deployment to break out of the lift and get the ship back gently.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 09:20 AM
Find More Posts by rc4fun
Maryland
Joined Dec 2002
495 Posts
Most of the ALES folks I fly with use either a switch (3 position, high, med,off) or slider for the throttle and use the stick for speed/glide control. If you are going to use crow use the same control for the flaps and ailerons together. Doing so keeps it simple, there is enough going on during the landing phase without worrying about switches in the right place (one more reason to use a stick). If you use flaps and ailerons on separate controls you will need different elevator mixes for each.
IMHO: Try flaps alone and then crow, pick the one that works for you. Different planes may do better with one or the other. The people that land the best are the ones that practice the most.
Kerry
rc4fun is offline Find More Posts by rc4fun