Old Nov 19, 2015, 04:07 PM
Find More Posts by HaventFlownSince2014
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
16,483 Posts
Discussion
Next generation Transmitters

What is going to be the next big step in transmitters?

Telemetry is now commonplace, as is voice alerts, what is the next "must have" feature?

Sequencers will likely built into more radios in the future, with all the advanced foamie warbirds and jets now available with gear doors, retracts, etc.

Will it be redundancy? Jeti's new 24 channel has multiple 2.4 transmitters and also a module for 900mhz.

Those are nice features, but dont seem to be game changers IMO....
HaventFlownSince2014 is offline Find More Posts by HaventFlownSince2014
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New Drone Movie :D
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 19, 2015, 06:46 PM
Find More Posts by Nergall
United States, GA, Lilburn
Joined Aug 2009
2,059 Posts
FAA Registration stickers on the back?
Nergall is offline Find More Posts by Nergall
Old Nov 20, 2015, 10:22 AM
Find More Posts by pcphill
Plain Broke and Broke Planes!
Hoschton, GA
Joined Jul 2003
1,950 Posts
Taranis already has a scripting language. To me that was a killer feature when they added it. That opens up everything from custom displays to sequencers. You're only limited by your imagination...
pcphill is offline Find More Posts by pcphill
Old Nov 20, 2015, 11:35 AM
Find More Posts by Buzz_Man
Fly safe, fly often!
United States, GA, Powder Springs
Joined Dec 1999
4,485 Posts
All my stuff is so old, I can't upload or download any of the settings - I have one surface Tx that takes an SD card but that's as "sophisticated" as my stuff gets

Hell, I'm still leary of 2.4 . . . still use my land line . . . still wear white socks . . . still wonder if Aunt Jemimah and Uncle Ben ever get together in the cupboard when nobody's lookin . . .
Buzz_Man is offline Find More Posts by Buzz_Man
Old Nov 20, 2015, 01:04 PM
Find More Posts by rpstar
Dacula, GA
Joined Feb 2008
4,148 Posts
I have no reason to upgrade from my Dx8. Some of the better telemetry options would be kinda nice but far from really needed. With how often I'm flying right now it will last at least another 100 years.
rpstar is online now Find More Posts by rpstar
Old Nov 20, 2015, 02:05 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
16,483 Posts
I have just grown tired of not fully understanding Futabeese and want more intuitive and easier programming. I still love and trust the Futaba link and signal, however rx's are costly and so is their telemetry.

considering stepping into a heavily discounted first generation DX 18... or waiting to see what comes out next.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 20, 2015, 02:54 PM
Joined Aug 2009
2,059 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaventFlownSince2014 View Post
I have just grown tired of not fully understanding Futabeese and want more intuitive and easier programming. I still love and trust the Futaba link and signal, however rx's are costly and so is their telemetry.

considering stepping into a heavily discounted first generation DX 18... or waiting to see what comes out next.
I guess if you grow up with it, Spektrumeese seems just as weird? I mean srsly, I don't want a 'flap' channel, I just want a channel 5 that does whatever I want.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 02:55 PM
Joined Aug 2009
2,059 Posts
(Woot, Brand Wars begins!!!!!)
Old Nov 20, 2015, 03:51 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
16,483 Posts
LOL True.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 20, 2015, 06:30 PM
Find More Posts by Khosravi
Chris Khosravi - KK4LJH
United States, GA, Marietta
Joined Jul 2004
1,082 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nergall View Post
I mean srsly, I don't want a 'flap' channel, I just want a channel 5 that does whatever I want.
This was a big selling point for me to get the Frsky Taranis. You can literally assign 32 ailerons if you wanted to. I was tired of the pre-programmed channels and mixes.

I believe the future of transmitters will bring more and more sensors. Sensors for literally everything. I understand there are already a ton of sensors already, but it should eventually get to the point where it's already built in to equipment. Such as RPM meters built in to motors or ESCs, servo angle feedback sensors, stress meters, heat sensors. I just think it's crazy that servos haven't really changed much since the beginning of RC. It would be great to get some sort of feedback on them during flight. A receiver outputs a PWM signal, but you as a pilot have no idea if the servo is actually doing anything. There's been many times when a servo is at the brink of failing, and the output is simply not matching the input signal. This sort of feedback will give us warnings before a servo fails in flight.

Also in the future, I think there will be more FPV monitors/tablets/computers built into the transmitter. Take a look at Yuneec Q500, they're on to something there.
Khosravi is offline Find More Posts by Khosravi
Old Nov 22, 2015, 12:42 PM
Dacula, GA
Joined Feb 2008
4,148 Posts
I've heard some of the newer transmitters are much more intuitive but can't remember which ones. One thing that really annoys me is any transmitter that does not allow you to select which function goes on which switch. Dx8 does not have that but hopefully all newer transmitters do. I still think Taranis is the current king of flexibility but it's probably not super intuitive.
Old Nov 22, 2015, 05:24 PM
Find More Posts by electrich
65 Buick =make my own thermals
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Feb 2011
5,973 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpstar View Post
I've heard some of the newer transmitters are much more intuitive but can't remember which ones. One thing that really annoys me is any transmitter that does not allow you to select which function goes on which switch. Dx8 does not have that but hopefully all newer transmitters do. I still think Taranis is the current king of flexibility but it's probably not super intuitive.
You can assign RX and Tx functions on the DX9. I had a TurdAnus and gave it away. I just don't have the patience to relearn a new programming platform.
electrich is online now Find More Posts by electrich
Old Nov 22, 2015, 07:44 PM
Dacula, GA
Joined Feb 2008
4,148 Posts
Jeti seems completely sweet if you are willing to spend much dinero on it.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 12:18 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
16,483 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpstar View Post
Jeti seems completely sweet if you are willing to spend much dinero on it.
Agree, but aside from the cost barrier, their programming is probably the most sophisticated and also the most complicated of all txs I have considered.

I used to lust for a Jeti radio, but not after following their threads. Way too much complexity for simple issues...
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 23, 2015, 12:38 PM
Find More Posts by Khosravi
Chris Khosravi - KK4LJH
United States, GA, Marietta
Joined Jul 2004
1,082 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaventFlownSince2014 View Post
Agree, but aside from the cost barrier, their programming is probably the most sophisticated and also the most complicated of all txs I have considered.

I used to lust for a Jeti radio, but not after following their threads. Way too much complexity for simple issues...
You should give a Taranis a try. It's seriously such a good system. Receivers are dang cheap and provide superb range. It's really not hard to program either. I find it easier to program than any Futaba or Spektrum I've ever flown. Just watch a couple videos or have me give you a quick lesson. Not that you're a die-hard FPV fan or anything, but it's the #1 most popular transmitter for it for many reasons, the biggest is the ease of use to get it to work with just about any flight controller or stabilizer. The openTX software is a good system to start getting used to, it's pretty much the standard nowadays it seems like. You'll be future-proof if you make the switch.
Khosravi is offline Find More Posts by Khosravi