New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 22, 2015, 09:48 PM
Find More Posts by xnoobx
Joined Sep 2015
3 Posts
Question
Multirotor following a Line

Hey at all!

Im looking for a way, that my multi rotor follows a black line. The same way like a RC car.
The cars often use an infrared sensor to to do this. But the most sensors are limited to short distance.

At first i thought about a camera. But the video processing is quite heavy for the MCU. So I remembered for the freescale cup and looked for another solution.

So my questions is: Is there a Infrared Sensor, Infrared Laser which is capable to do this in a height of one meter?
If not, anybody knows another solution?

Greetings phanter
xnoobx is offline Find More Posts by xnoobx
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 23, 2015, 02:04 PM
Find More Posts by brakar
Asker, Oslo, Norway
Joined Feb 2009
464 Posts
You could have a look at the new Dji module; "Guidance": https://developer.dji.com/guidance/
brakar is offline Find More Posts by brakar
Old Sep 24, 2015, 10:11 AM
Find More Posts by bmw330i
David1
USA
Joined Mar 2007
1,525 Posts
A quick search on Google returned a Parrot ARDrone following a line in a YouTube video. Probably the BeBop with its dual core CPU and Quad Core GPU can do it easily.
bmw330i is online now Find More Posts by bmw330i
Old Sep 24, 2015, 10:24 AM
Find More Posts by bmw330i
David1
USA
Joined Mar 2007
1,525 Posts
sorry repost/duplicate. Deleting
bmw330i is online now Find More Posts by bmw330i
Last edited by bmw330i; Sep 25, 2015 at 07:24 AM. Reason: Repost on accident
Old Sep 27, 2015, 09:10 PM
Find More Posts by xnoobx
Joined Sep 2015
3 Posts
The Guidance is a real hammer. It looks perfect. But also the price is

My aim is to built something myself. I saw a solution with a camera and a second MCU. But picture processing is quite heavy, so Im looking for another way to realize it.
I also have a parrot here. With a Parrot and selfwirtten script with ROS it is no problem.
xnoobx is offline Find More Posts by xnoobx
Old Sep 28, 2015, 07:52 AM
Find More Posts by Krylon
What goes up...
England
Joined Apr 2010
211 Posts
might be worth using a camera and offloading the image processing to something like a pi.
Use a regular flight board to balance and stabilise then code output from the Pi as either PWM or PPM to input direction.

thinking the same logic to a camera gimbal, stab board with user input to direct.

This is a ground bot using a pi with camera, sounds like you have the expertise to apply this to a quad.
Raspberry PI : Line follower Robot with CAMERA and OpenCv (1 min 50 sec)
Krylon is offline Find More Posts by Krylon
Old Oct 24, 2015, 03:13 AM
Find More Posts by DKNguyen
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Joined Oct 2008
645 Posts
Take a look at the CMU Cam and POB Cam. THey have onboard processing that should let you do the job and keep your flight MCU free from vision processing loads:

http://www.cmucam.org/

There is also another similar product from POB Technologies called the POB-Eye
DKNguyen is online now Find More Posts by DKNguyen