New Products Flash Sale
Old May 12, 2015, 07:49 PM
Find More Posts by mphsjeep
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Dec 2004
121 Posts
Question
FPV Newbie, what to get?..?

I know absolutely nothing about the ins and outs of this technology except that I want one. I have a 180 QX and totally need its SAFE mode. I have all old school Blade and a DX6i. Skill level admittedly fair on a good day.

What would be good starter setup? I am not looking for the best, just decent at a good price. I would more than happy with a screen to see what the camera sees and maybe record mode.
Is there something to get to go with what I have or a different all in one setup? The Husban mini H107D would be perfect if not so small.

Thanks in advance
mphsjeep is offline Find More Posts by mphsjeep
to remove ads between posts
Old May 12, 2015, 08:57 PM
Find More Posts by Julezwatts
WOT and going nowhere
United States, VA, Charlottesville
Joined Aug 2014
892 Posts
Probably to start it would be good to do some reading IMO. Best to know what you're getting into before you get into it.
Julezwatts is offline Find More Posts by Julezwatts
Old May 13, 2015, 06:53 AM
Joined Dec 2004
121 Posts
The more I read the more overwhelmed I get with iwantthatitis! Learning what I do and don't want. I want longer range flight with video at elevation, goggle thing does not appeal.

What are some setup options to look at?
Old May 13, 2015, 10:33 AM
Find More Posts by parajared
no guts no glory
United States, AZ, Prescott
Joined Oct 2013
528 Posts
You can just slap a SPMVA1100 on her and call it a day. This would work nicely with your Dx6i and all you would need is a video receiver and screen of some type. Goggles are better IMO because of the whole sun glare thing. Take your cell phone out into the sun and try to look at the screen if you don't know what I'm talking about. This setup will be good for flying around a park and your back yard and such but won't get you much in the way of range 1. because a SPMVA1100 is not built to transmit very far 2. because your 180qx will run out of batteries before you can get very far and back.

Blade 350qx would work with your dx6i and get you more range. What will happen with that is you will fly out and about a mile out you will get little signal breaks that will make flying annoying and around the mile and a half to two mile mark your control signal will go to crud on you and make the copter unflyable. This is ok though because 350qx has a GPS and autopilot in it and it will just fly back home when signal completely drops out on you (compared to your 180qx that will just straight up plummet into the earth).

A better but more expensive solution is to ditch the Dx6i altogether. A lot of folks use the Taranis and my personal experience is the signal is rock solid up to about 3 miles. Taranis has a nice feature built in where at the three mile point you get a little voice that says "hey dummy time to turn around" which is really handy because you don't need an expensive GPS autopilot to fly you back if you adhere to your radio's advice.

This may be less expensive in the long run because a 3 mile playground is more fun to play in and you will be less inclined to want to move on to something better. Also you can get more bang for the buck out of something you build. Although there is a bit of a learning curve it isn't too extremely horrible to have to put motors on a frame and tell a flight controller how you want your stuff to fly. A Blade350 will run you a good $400 whereas you can build something better for around $250 or so if you can muster the time to assemble it.

For long range (longer than the Taranis 3 mile playground) 433 is the way to go. 433 stuff is expensive and one way to save on cash is to get a 433 setup where the receiver outputs PPM. PPM is a new(ish) thing where you output all the signal you want on a single wire instead of having a separate wire for every servo. That way instead of blowing big bucks on a new receiver for every plane that you want to fly out into oblivion you can just unplug the PPM wire and Velcro your receiver onto whatever you want to fly and just have a PPM wire to the plane. As an added bonus you generally want to separate your 433 receiver from the rest of the electronics so its nice to have the receiver out away from everything out on the wing.

People who do long range typically fly stuff purpose built for long range FPV. The big hitters on the long range market are the Skyhunter, Talon, and Skywalker 1900mm, but there are quite a number of capable planes out there. Generally long range stuff has "low aspect ratio" meaning they have fat stubby wings that can handle a heavy load of batteries or fuel, but some clever folks are using "high aspect ratio" solar powered gliders to swing a light weight setup out into the cosmos by manipulating thermals and recharge from the sun.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspect_...(aerodynamics))
parajared is offline Find More Posts by parajared
Last edited by parajared; May 13, 2015 at 01:46 PM.
Old May 14, 2015, 06:25 AM
Joined Dec 2004
121 Posts
Thanks for reply! Lots to think about. Quickly convinced to goggles.
This would be the full setup?
http://www.horizonhobby.com/ultra-mi...dset-spmvs1100

The Taranis. Less expensive than I thought it would be. I skimmed over the description but wanted to confirm it will fly all my blade stuff?

I would love to build my own but just do not have the time. Doing the single dad thing with a three and a six year old and a wife in nursing school. Unless I have a exact shopping list or find something on the classifies.

Your reply means a lot. Thanks. Kids are stirring but I'm sure I will have more questions.
Old May 14, 2015, 09:31 AM
Find More Posts by parajared
no guts no glory
United States, AZ, Prescott
Joined Oct 2013
528 Posts
That setup will work great with a 180qx. I recommend mounting using sticky Velcro on the camera/vtx for easy swap because after a while you will want to FPV other planes.

Maybe hold off on the Taranis until you are ready to fly out a little further. Taranis transmits on a different, incompatible type of 2.4 than Spektrum and your Dx6i will be plenty fine for a little park flier.

Actually even if you have all the money in the world I still recommend you hold off on everything, LRS, pan/tilt, expensive antennas, head tracking, OSD, RTH, and all the crazy doo-dads that look cool and just give the Fatshark kit that you linked above a try. That paired to a 180qx will be quite a robust setup, easy to set up and good for many hours of fun.
parajared is offline Find More Posts by parajared
Old May 14, 2015, 10:35 AM
Find More Posts by hangarspace
United Kingdom
Joined May 2013
331 Posts
For under a $100 you could do worse than look at the Hobbyking Quanum FPV kit that includes camera, vtx, vrx, antennas, screen and diy-goggle kit.
hangarspace is offline Find More Posts by hangarspace
Old May 14, 2015, 10:51 AM
Find More Posts by aventhu
Indianapolis, In
Joined Jan 2010
110 Posts
Really enjoying my 180QX with the SPMVA1100 on it.

Flying FPV With The 180QX (0 min 49 sec)
aventhu is offline Find More Posts by aventhu
Old May 14, 2015, 06:48 PM
Joined Dec 2004
121 Posts
Like the vid!
I saw the foam box on face kit earlier today.....to cheap to be true!!??

I'm tempted to check it out but eyeing a Fat Shark setup...... Narrowed down!
Old May 14, 2015, 07:57 PM
Find More Posts by aventhu
Indianapolis, In
Joined Jan 2010
110 Posts
I am using a modified set of the Hobbyking Quanum and they work great. I use a HF lens and added a plug to extend the focal length. Much better than FS in almost every way. I would not buy FS at this point. The Range Video Headplay looks promising. I think we are going to see a lot more FPV goggle options come on the market in the coming year.
aventhu is offline Find More Posts by aventhu
Old May 15, 2015, 11:21 AM
Find More Posts by Julezwatts
WOT and going nowhere
United States, VA, Charlottesville
Joined Aug 2014
892 Posts
Really love my FS teleporters. Tried on a friends Quanun headset and it wasn't comfortable for me- felt very heavy on my head and not really comfortable on the nose bridge. I'd chose FS any day due to form factor, comfort, and customer service. (FS customer service is top notch!)
Julezwatts is offline Find More Posts by Julezwatts
Old May 16, 2015, 05:08 PM
Joined Dec 2004
121 Posts
Well ... Ahhhhh ..... I kinda accidentally ended up with both .

Ordered the Quanum complete set and then trollin around on eBay.........always a danger zone for RC for me. Low balled a bid a Vapor FPV set that has the Fatshark micro complete system and ended up winning it for $226 shipped.

I wanted a plane for FPV but am not good at flying them so it's a win win.