Find More Posts by chrisfurman
Apex2Apex
United States, MI, Sterling Heights
Joined Dec 2014
26 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmodels View Post
@chrisfurman

Page 5 of this thread shows what Beastx changes need to stay or be changed when swapping out servos.
thanks!
chrisfurman is offline Find More Posts by chrisfurman
Old Feb 23, 2015, 11:34 AM
Find More Posts by dankar04
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
11,409 Posts
Birds look Great. Love the colors etc.
dankar04 is offline Find More Posts by dankar04
Old May 22, 2015, 05:49 PM
Find More Posts by RoboHeli
Safety : practice & promote!
Joined Dec 2011
5,138 Posts
I'm thinking of picking up one of these guys to fly with my 450X at my local club field. I've gone to a bigger field now which is great for the 450X but I lose track of my 180CFX pretty quickly when it gets out too far. I like the idea of a slightly smaller and twitchier beast-x powered heli that I can interleave with my 450X. But I want something that's gonna be easier to see downstream.
RoboHeli is offline Find More Posts by RoboHeli
RCG Plus Member
Old May 22, 2015, 11:32 PM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
11,409 Posts
I was in local Hobby shop and they had 300 CF-X at $289.95. Local RC field 450's are the small helis. I like the 450 size and about most pratical for me. They have enough mass and power to preform pretty good.
Old May 23, 2015, 12:02 PM
Joined Dec 2011
5,138 Posts
Yeah, the going rate for new is $300 right now. If I find a LHS with a price lower than that, I'll probably snarf it up right away.

This size is also the most practical. If I were to go to something that required 6s packs, I'd have to invest in a bigger charger and power supply. My field is about 30-45 minutes away and doesn't have power (don't think I could bring a generator, either) so charging at the field isn't an option. As it stands now, I can charge up 6 450X packs on my iCharger 306 and I've got two iCharger 106Bs that I use for the other packs. With my current power supply, I think I could re-purpose the two of them for charging 3 packs each at 2S EDIT: 2C.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by RoboHeli; May 23, 2015 at 02:21 PM. Reason: OOps, I meant 2C, not 2S.
Old May 23, 2015, 01:07 PM
Find More Posts by brushless55
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Nov 2011
4,441 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dankar04 View Post
I was in local Hobby shop and they had 300 CF-X at $289.95. Local RC field 450's are the small helis. I like the 450 size and about most pratical for me. They have enough mass and power to preform pretty good.
that sounds like a great price

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboHeli View Post
Yeah, the going rate for new is $300 right now. If I find a LHS with a price lower than that, I'll probably snarf it up right away.

This size is also the most practical. If I were to go to something that required 6s packs, I'd have to invest in a bigger charger and power supply. My field is about 30-45 minutes away and doesn't have power (don't think I could bring a generator, either) so charging at the field isn't an option. As it stands now, I can charge up 6 450X packs on my iCharger 306 and I've got two iCharger 106Bs that I use for the other packs. With my current power supply, I think I could re-purpose the two of them for charging 3 packs each at 2S.
6s
for my Blade 360CFX I can charge those packs very fast with a standard 5amp 50watt charger at the flying field
I think I can charge close to 2C
brushless55 is offline Find More Posts by brushless55
Old May 23, 2015, 02:20 PM
Joined Dec 2011
5,138 Posts
Yeah, if I could charge at my field, I could do them one at a time like that. I gotta pre-charge all my packs before going out. Right now, that includes 6 packs for the 450X (26.4 Amps, 332.6 Watts), 8 for the 180CFX(7.2 Amps, 90.7 Watts), and 6 for the 130X (5.5 Amps, 453 Watts). And yeah, that's charging at 2C.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by RoboHeli; May 23, 2015 at 02:26 PM. Reason: Included amp and watt calculations
Old May 23, 2015, 04:58 PM
Joined Nov 2011
4,441 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brushless55 View Post
6s
for my Blade 360CFX I can charge those packs very fast with a standard 5amp 50watt charger at the flying field
I think I can charge close to 2C
Quote:
Yeah, if I could charge at my field, I could do them one at a time like that. I gotta pre-charge all my packs before going out. Right now, that includes 6 packs for the 450X (26.4 Amps, 332.6 Watts), 8 for the 180CFX(7.2 Amps, 90.7 Watts), and 6 for the 130X (5.5 Amps, 453 Watts). And yeah, that's charging at 2C.
Point is one does not need fancy big chargers to charge the 360CFX or Trex450L packs, at home or in the field (like some want you to believe)
they fly on small 6s packs that 5amp 50watt chargers can do the trick very easily
they can easily be charged close to 2C with a cheapo $20 charger

charging one at a time is only 1.3amps on those 6s packs at 1C , and still has power to go beyond

at the field (or at home) I only need 7.8amps charging six 6s packs at 1C or 15.6amps at 2C or 31amps if I want to charge six of them at a time at 4C my charger does this as well and beyond

charging at home I've got ya beat with my charging setups by the way

I've got well over 100 lipos and charging is not a big thing man specially for these small 6s heli packs
Last edited by brushless55; May 23, 2015 at 05:08 PM.
Old May 23, 2015, 07:26 PM
Joined Dec 2011
5,138 Posts
Quote:

at the field (or at home) I only need 7.8amps charging six 6s packs at 1C or 15.6amps at 2C or 31amps if I want to charge six of them at a time at 4C my charger does this as well and beyond
Well sure, but you're not doing that on a single 5amp 50watt charger that you keep talking about.

6S 1300mah packs at 1C will be 7.8 amps at 196.5 watts
6S 1300mah packs at 2C will be 15.6 amps at 393.1 watts
6S 1300mah packs at 3C will be 31 amps at 781.2 watts

What brand of charger are you using (link please)? That might help clear the discussion up a bit.

Anyway, the only point of me saying that I might need to upgrade my charging setup is because I want to be able to continue charging my 450X packs at 2C (which still requires over 24 amps because they're 3S 2200mAh packs) AND the other heli packs that I want to fly. I keep my packs at storage charge until I'm ready to leave the house. Then I charge them up all at once in about 20 minutes and then go.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by RoboHeli; May 23, 2015 at 07:32 PM. Reason: I added the last paragraph.
Old May 23, 2015, 07:37 PM
Joined Dec 2011
5,138 Posts
I added one more paragraph to my previous post but didn't get it to it fast enough as folks have already viewed it (so I added an edit tag).

Anyway, my choice of chargers is so that I can keep my packs at storage charge until I'm ready to leave the house and then I charge them up as fast as I can and then go. So, FWIW, this is what I found works for me with the batteries that I have and the way that I want to charge them. Obviously you can do different things and change up the way you go about it.
RCG Plus Member
Old Yesterday, 12:01 AM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
11,409 Posts
Our local field is nine miles away. Big covered pit area with many AC out- lets So charging there is no problem. Local Park is less than 1/3 mile away so no problem there. Fly what I have and beat it. I raely fly same bird twice and bring what I need. Couple extras and thats it.
Old Yesterday, 12:18 AM
Joined Nov 2011
4,441 Posts
Quote:
Well sure, but you're not doing that on a single 5amp 50watt charger that you keep talking about.
Bull
now you try to combine two different things I'm talking about into one????
what ever dude
get your math correct before you try and call someone out and quote what they are actually saying
my original was talking about a cheap 5amp charger charging a 360CFX pack effectively
people don't need big amp chargers to charge these packs

Quote:
6S 1300mah packs at 1C will be 7.8 amps at 196.5 watts
6S 1300mah packs at 2C will be 15.6 amps at 393.1 watts
6S 1300mah packs at 3C will be 31 amps at 781.2 watts
What brand of charger are you using (link please)? That might help clear the discussion up a bit.
A 2s, 3s, 4s, 5s, or 6s 1300mah pack is only 1.3amps at 1C charge
2C = 2.6amps
3C = 3.9amps

so yeah
a 5amp 50watt cheapo $20 charger can charge the Blade 360CFX 6s pack fairly quickly one at a time
they top out around 2.2amps on 6s so that is more than 1C on that cheap charger

and your math is actually inaccurate because your only using a calculator to show watts (volts x amps)
but a charger will start topping off as volts get higher and amps will lower vs what you are posting
Last edited by brushless55; Yesterday at 12:31 AM.
Old Yesterday, 08:52 AM
Joined Dec 2011
5,138 Posts
Yikes! Peace, brushless55. I believe we have a misunderstanding.

In my quote above, I was trying to figure out the amps and watts required for charging SIX packs of the 6S 1300mAh variety in parallel. Sorry that wasn't clear.

Let me go back to the original quote I had a question about:

Quote:

I put in red the number of packs you're talking about charging in parallel on your charger. You were talking about doing six of them in parallel. That's the number that I'm a little confused by and what prompted my replies.

My question is, how are you charging SIX 6s packs in parallel with your 5amp charger? If it requires 7.8 amps, 15.6 amps, and 31 amps to charge six of these 6s packs at 1C, 2C, and 4C, respectively then how is that possible if 5 amps is the maximum output that charger puts out? How is it able to source current above 5 amps? I don't understand how this is possible. That's why I asked what brand charger you had so I could look it up and see what I was missing...

Anyway, I completely agree with you that for charging a SINGLE 6s 1300mAh pack, your 5A 50W charger is perfect! I've got no problems there!

And yes, you are also absolutely right that the wattage I posted was simply volts x amps and yes, you are absolutely right that this is not an accurate description of how much wattage is ACTUALLY used during the charging cycle. However, when choosing a power supply for a charger, I really don't know how else to pick one of an appropriate size. Is there some sort of formula that you can use to determine the actual maximum wattage required for a given setup? I honestly don't know what that is.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by RoboHeli; Yesterday at 09:04 AM.
Old Yesterday, 09:00 AM
Joined Dec 2011
5,138 Posts
I also feel kinda bad about hijacking the 300 CFX thread here.

What motor is everyone currently using with the 300 CFX? Does the stock one have any problems? For instance, the 440H motor in my 450X is notorious for losing its lower bearing after a short amount of time (it was 69 flights for me). Anything similar that we have to watch out for on the 300 CFX? I haven't heard anything about it yet on the forums but then again the 300 CFX threads are not very active...

I already know about the issues with the servos and their plastic gears. I've got my eye on some HiTec MG replacements to put in to replace the stock ones.
RCG Plus Member