Old Oct 11, 2014, 02:44 PM
crash rc plane is my job....
Florence area,Tuscany, Italy
Joined Jan 2009
329 Posts
Build Log
Colibrý MB 2...a '70 great plane

Good evening to all friends who love rc models,

was looking for a plan of Max Brugger Colibrý (hummingbird in english) for a gas motor ... but I have not found anything. My brother has the original homebuilt plan but did not have time to rescale it. The plane is very pretty, designed around 1970, powered by the famous 4 cylinder motor of Volkswagen Beetle .... had a great success! While surfing the web I came across the website of a German manufacturer that had a kit in fiberglass/foam/balsa at a great price (for Europe...sigh!) for the size of the model ... 199 euro (about 250 usd) ... .Also I found out that the manufacturer was a SHE .... Frau Brigitte and lived in Plettemberg .... an evocative name for lovers of electrics. After about a month the package arrived.....

here the link: http://www.modellbaumuder.de/products.htm

model size:
wingspan 2 mt
lenght about 1,4 mt
profile naca 23012
engine about 25 cc
bobby67 is offline Find More Posts by bobby67
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 11, 2014, 03:10 PM
Joined Jan 2009
329 Posts
The model has the fuselage, the engine cowl divided into 2 pieces, the fitting piece between elevator and rudder and the wheel pants made of epoxy fiberglass. It's quite robust with reinforcements made ​​of strips of clothes .... I hope not to have vibration problems with the petrol engine. A clear canopy is included. The lamination is not perfect .... there are some surface imperfections easily fixed at the time of painting with extra work. The foam parts (wings, rudder, elevator) are excellent and the coverage in balsa is of great quality, you just have to fix the moving parts. Included are the fixed landing gear made ​​with 6 mm rods and welded together with a fiberglass profiled already inserted. It does not include any hardware or accessories, and no piece of wood for finish the model ..... the owner manages building as he prefers ...... just what I wanted .....
Old Oct 20, 2014, 03:04 PM
Joined Jan 2009
329 Posts
Work continues .....
I added a reinforcement in the joint of the wings in hardwood, then fiber the center and covering with 25 gr. / mq clothes for all balsa parts. The engine chosen is the Turnigy 26 cc petrol , the muffler is a wraparound but I do not know if I will use .... should also get the original muffler. The building is classic .... nothing difficult for those who have a little experience. For servos I chose to put 2 analog medium (Dymond D300 with metal gear) in the tailplane ( can be built fixed or removable for easy transport, between balsa and foam there is fiber clothes for reinforcement) and 1 servo with the pull-pull for rudder. I have to find accommodation for throttle servo. The assembly of landing gear included in the kit requires to drill 4 holes at a certain angle (inside wing there are blocks of hardwood and fiber clothes) .... thank goodness it came quite well with the help of a template .... the hub of the wheel is 80 mm along the perpendicular of trailing edge. Today I completed the covering with fiber clothes.... wait a couple of days before working on wing fixing system. The servo i'll use are these:
http://rc-castle.com/shop/product_in...oducts_id=2669
seem pretty good.........
Old Oct 27, 2014, 01:31 PM
Joined Jan 2009
329 Posts
Finished the fixing of wing, elevator and rudder. Rudder and tailplane are fully removable for easy transport or repair / maintenance. Today I started sanding .... I hope soon to give the primer .... before the start of the bad and cold weather......I must only work on throttle servo and fuel tank support.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 06:25 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
12,052 Posts
Nice work !
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Oct 28, 2014, 03:35 PM
Joined Jan 2009
329 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCrump View Post
Nice work !
Thanks a lot !!
I would consider myself lucky if he flew like the original .............
Old Oct 28, 2014, 05:23 PM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
12,052 Posts
If it flies as good as it looks, you won't have a problem.
Old Nov 01, 2014, 02:14 PM
Joined Jan 2009
329 Posts
Hello everyone,

today I finished major part of building....throttle and choke servos are ready....hope that work fine (is a long time since I do not use a gas engine..... after years of electrics) .......... starting with primer.......
Now I wait the harder work ..... sanding.....sanding.....sanding.......
Old Nov 04, 2014, 12:55 PM
Joined Jan 2009
329 Posts
All the pieces are ready for sanding ...... the new primer is a metal type .... damn it !!! ...... I'm spending a fortune of sandpaper ...... and it's damn hard but, after work, the surface is very smooth ..... the decals from Callie are ready. I weighed all the pieces just out of curiosity .... hoping to do another brick in the sky .......:

wing 2110 gr.
fuselage 1385 gr.
tail 308 gr.
rudder 80 gr.
landing gear 483 gr.
cowl 180 gr.
canopy 165 gr.
all servos 315 gr.
engine (complete) 950 gr.
less final painting, a simple cockpit, various accessories etc...in total about 5980 gr.

I hope, if I'm lucky, to be around 7 kg. ready to fly without fuel .... a good weight .....
Old Nov 04, 2014, 03:22 PM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
12,052 Posts
When will the color go on ?
Old Nov 05, 2014, 02:00 PM
Joined Jan 2009
329 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCrump View Post
When will the color go on ?
This week no, the weather is bad here, probably next week.....i'd like to finish the model before the end of november. The color scheme will be like PC 9 of Swiss Air Force.....+ or -.....very visible.....

Roberto
Old Nov 05, 2014, 06:05 PM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
12,052 Posts
I hope that you get the desired weather.

I won't be able to paint until April, here.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 11:39 AM
Joined Jan 2009
329 Posts
Good afternoon,

finally some sun today .... it's still warm enough ... about 20 ░ (70 ░ F) .... I started the colored part of the painting. I hope next week to finish the 2-component transparent. For now it looks pretty good .... repay the effort of sanding .......
Old Nov 13, 2014, 04:16 PM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
12,052 Posts
Nice !
Old Nov 15, 2014, 10:44 AM
Joined Jan 2009