HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 10, 2014, 07:44 PM
ARFs make me BARF
United States, MI, Roseville
Joined Dec 2000
9,310 Posts
Gallery
P63 Kingcobra Reference Photos!

Today I got up early and went to the 2014 Thunder Over Michigan airshow, mostly because the worlds only flying P63 was to appear. I prayed it wouldn't be roped off...
Prayers answered!
For anyone building a King from my Model Aviation plan, or any other plan, I took a TON of great reference photos.
Several things struck me....the laminar flow wing is VERY smooth. The trailing edge is very sharp. The bird is an immaculate resto, yet she has wrinkles.
Also, it's shown and marked as a P63A, but the data plates show a P63C ...weird. It's also a pretty good sized ship.
Mark
mrittinger is online now Find More Posts by mrittinger
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 10, 2014, 08:44 PM
Scale Builder
United States, AZ, Litchfield Park
Joined Jul 2002
2,631 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrittinger View Post
...the worlds only flying P63 was to appear.
Don't forget the Palm Springs air museum example! Here's a pic I took of it at the Planes of Fame airshow this past May. While certainly no where near as original as the example in your pictures it is still a regular flyer and a joy to see and hear. Hopefully the CAF's P-63F will be back in the air very soon as well after its unfortunate belly landing late last year.

I had the pleasure of seeing the 'cobra in your pics many years ago when it was still owned by Frank Borman and it is a fantastic example of the restorer's art. Thanks for sharing the pictures Mark. They will be saved into my "some day" folder for sure!
Chad Veich is offline Find More Posts by Chad Veich
Old Aug 10, 2014, 09:06 PM
United States, MI, Kalamazoo
Joined Aug 2009
245 Posts
Mark
These are great! Thank you
Taylor
cobra16 is offline Find More Posts by cobra16
Old Aug 10, 2014, 09:11 PM
ARFs make me BARF
Joined Dec 2000
9,310 Posts
I had heard the PIMA example was grounded from corrosion?
Old Aug 10, 2014, 09:28 PM
Scale Builder
United States, AZ, Litchfield Park
Joined Jul 2002
2,631 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrittinger View Post
I had heard the PIMA example was grounded from corrosion?
Pima is strictly a non-flying museum and none of their aircraft are airworthy as far as I am aware. I do not know what the internal condition of their Kingcobra is but externally it is very nice. I took this pic at Pima 3-4 years ago.

The Yanks Air Museum in Chino also has a Kingcobra that is "technically" supposed to be flyable. However, I'm not sure if it has ever been flown. It certainly has not been flown in the last 25 years if ever. Here's a pic of that one taken earlier this year.

Chad Veich is offline Find More Posts by Chad Veich
Old Aug 10, 2014, 10:55 PM
ARFs make me BARF
Joined Dec 2000
9,310 Posts
I just read somewhere, can't recall where, but it said that after the bellying in of the CAF P63F, it left only one flying, this one.
Either way rare indeed! Its the reason I went to the show, and it was worth it to get up close n personal with a King.
Something is fishy with the nomenclature. The stenciling ( and Warbirds article) say its an A, but the data plates say its a C.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 07:30 AM
Wing loading's just a number
United States, MI, Canton
Joined Sep 2002
1,856 Posts
You sure took a bunch of nice pictures of this one, where is the aircraft based? You either got there real early or it wasn't too crowded or both....
Dennis Sumner is online now Find More Posts by Dennis Sumner
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Throw Gauge
Old Aug 11, 2014, 08:29 AM
ARFs make me BARF
Joined Dec 2000
9,310 Posts
I beleive its the same guy that owns Hoovers P51 in Idaho. http://www.legacyflightmuseum.com/

I get there early to get great pics I see a very nice scale model in my future...

By the way, there's a Vampire based at Detroit City!
Old Aug 11, 2014, 09:09 AM
Blacksburg, VA 24060 USA
Joined Feb 2000
3,257 Posts
Mark,

Wonderful work!

BTW, I put a link to your pics in the Scale Drawings and Three Views forum. Your pics deserve more exposure.

Jim R.
JRuggiero is offline Find More Posts by JRuggiero
Last edited by JRuggiero; Aug 12, 2014 at 08:23 AM. Reason: Added Info
Old Aug 11, 2014, 12:51 PM
United States, VA, Chesterfield
Joined Mar 2001
5,461 Posts
Thanks Mark!
Pat Daily is offline Find More Posts by Pat Daily
Old Aug 11, 2014, 02:07 PM
ARFs make me BARF
Joined Dec 2000
9,310 Posts
Did some checking...
There were 3 flying. The CAF bird belly landed. Leaves Bagley's and Palm Springs. I think the article I read meant to say " only P63 A".
Old Aug 13, 2014, 01:47 PM
Blacksburg, VA 24060 USA
Joined Feb 2000
3,257 Posts
Mark,

Your pics have attracted attention in the Scale Drawings and Three-Views forum. Ted60 may look for suitable drawings of the P-63, so you may expect some queries about P-63 pics, including cockpit photos.

Synergy!

Jim R.
JRuggiero is offline Find More Posts by JRuggiero
Old Aug 13, 2014, 02:54 PM
ARFs make me BARF
Joined Dec 2000
9,310 Posts
I have some pretty good drawings saved..
Old Aug 13, 2014, 03:41 PM
Veni Vidi Volavi
Sterling, VA
Joined Jan 2002
2,615 Posts
Mark

Saw your comment on the data plate about the plane being labeled as a P-63A but the dataplate saying it is a P-63C. I think you may be right about it being an A model. I have a nice book on Bell aircraft and it states that the C model had a strake on the underside of the fuselage from the wing TE to the end of the fuselage. I don't see anything like that on the photos you posted. Now I will say I have not found a good pic of a C model so I can not be 100% sure Wouldn't be the first time stuff like that was contradictory.

In any case, great set of pictures of a lovely plane. Great job!!

You guys survive the rain storms of the last few days? Heard it was pretty bad up your way.

Brian Allen

Veni Vidi Volavi

I came I saw I flew
Brian Allen is offline Find More Posts by Brian Allen