HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 19, 2013, 12:20 PM
Joined Mar 2005
111 Posts
Discussion
Need help understanding DX7S Switch Assignments - Blade350QX

I'm using a DX7S with a Blade 350QX, and going by the programming instructions with the 350, everything works - but I want to change some of the switch assignments.

Since the instructions just tell you what to do, and not why you are doing it, I have no idea how to change anything from the "default" setup. For example, it tells you to set a mix to GER>GER but no explanation of what that means. I've also looked through the book with the DX7S, and it isn't much help.

Ideally, I'd like to know what all of it means and why settings are what they are - but I'd also be happy if someone could show me the setting to do this:

Flight modes on Flap switch
Return to Home on Gear switch
Throttle cut on Trainer button (as is default for 350QX/DX7S)
rctoyguy is offline Find More Posts by rctoyguy
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 19, 2013, 05:20 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,996 Posts
What do you want to change?

The DX7s only has one 3 position switch and so it's just normal for it to be your flight mode switch to change from Smart to Stability to Manual.

Making changes to the these will mean you are going to require two switch to active one mode.

On the DX6i two switches are required to switch from Smart/Stability to Manual.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Last edited by freechip; Oct 22, 2013 at 07:11 PM.
Old Oct 20, 2013, 01:42 AM
Joined Mar 2005
111 Posts
That's what I mean - the "default" setup uses a combination of 2 different switches to obtain the 3 flight modes. It would make more sense to me if the 3 flight modes were on 1 3-position switch (flap switch).
Old Oct 20, 2013, 08:33 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,996 Posts
Your flap switch doesn't switch between Smart,Stability and Manual?
Old Oct 20, 2013, 10:07 AM
Joined Mar 2005
111 Posts
No, and that's what I'm wanting to do. Using the setup in the book with the 350QX, the flap switch is return to home (flap0=off, flap2=RTH)

I want RTH on gear since it's the top/back/left switch, and flight modes on FLAP since it's a 3 position switch.

I don't know how to reassign them, and so far I can't find anywhere that really explains how it all works - so I'm either looking for how to do it, or someone that can just tell me which settings to change and what to change them to.
Old Oct 20, 2013, 11:25 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,996 Posts
If you look at the current setup certain channels are assigned to certain switches, its a matter of moving them around.
You maybe able to get away with using the switch select screen but without having the 350qx and a dx7s I can only point you in the right direction.

If you look at the setup provided in the manual for the DX7s you should be able to tell what does what.
Old Oct 20, 2013, 11:33 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,996 Posts
Gear channel does the flight modes so instead of moving gear to fmode in the switch select menu move it to flap switch.

Aux 1 instead of flap switch move it to gear.

You won't need to create the gear to gear mix.

Flap switch should now do all 3 flight modes. Reversing the channel should change the order of smart and agility around.

Gear switch will trigger return home.
Old Oct 22, 2013, 06:43 PM
Joined Mar 2005
111 Posts
Trying this now... but when I move Aux1 from flaps to Gear, what do I change flaps to? Should it become Aux2 or Inh?
I can't imagine that inhibit would be right - I don't want it inhibited... but how do I know what Aux2 is?
Old Oct 22, 2013, 06:55 PM
Joined Mar 2005
111 Posts
Well, that didn't work at all...

related revelation - you can't bind the same quad to 2 different model memories? I figured I'd leave my "stock" settings on one preset, then just copy it to another preset to try changing things - but each time I switch between the model presets I have to rebind.

Still looking for something that explains what the settings are doing - what is Ger>Ger mix? for example... I don't see in the book where it explains any of this.
Old Oct 22, 2013, 07:08 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,996 Posts
That's Spektrum's MODEL MATCH feature that prevents you from flying a plane/rc on the wrong model memory possibly most likely with the wrong settings.

Seen it happened too many times with other brands and why I give this feature two thumbs up.
Old Oct 22, 2013, 07:26 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,996 Posts
Break Down of the DX7s programming for the 350QX

Switch Select: Move Gear to F MODE (F MODE:GEAR) / Leave FLAPS as AUX1
Set All Others to INH
MIX 1: GER > GER
RATE: 0%
-100%
OFFSET: 0%
TRIM: INH
SW: Mix0

The Switch Select moving of channels is to enable the FMode Switch to toggle between Smart Mode and Stability mode the two most popular modes.
The GER>GER is short for a GEAR to GEAR mix and what this does is when the FMode Switch is in Stability Mode and you toggle the Mix switch the now combination of the FM switch in the right position with the Mix switch in the right position will cause the 350QX to go into AGILITY MODE.

The Flap switch by default is set to Aux1 and they recommend you leave it as such which this controls the Return Home Feature.

Why Blade opted to use the 3 position switch on the radio for a 2 position control and a 2 position switch for a 3 position control is beyond me but this does not mean you can swap things around now that you know what does what.

And that is the following.

Throttle, Aileron, Elevator & Rudder are no brainer.

Gear channel controls the 350QX flight modes (Smart, Stability & Agility)
Aux1 channel triggers Return Home

And Throttle trim below 100% will stop the motors from spinning.
Old Oct 22, 2013, 07:30 PM
Joined Mar 2005
111 Posts
Well I've got it all kinds of screwed up now. Neither model preset is acting right now - (including the one that originally worked with the screwy switch assignments)

Just bench testing, but RTH is killing the motors, and the very slightest L/R rudder revs all the motors up (and they stay reved even when the stick comes back to center) - Could this be related to me holding it still on the bench? I can see the compass freaking out if you tell it to rotate and it can't....

The more I think about that, the more it makes sense, but I don't want to let this thing off the ground until I'm as certain as I can be that the radio is setup correctly.
Old Oct 22, 2013, 07:33 PM
Joined Mar 2005
111 Posts
Thanks - It took me a while to make my last post (got called away mid-type) so I didn't see your note until mine posted.

I can't look at it any more for a while this evening, so I'll read through your note a few dozen times to see if it will sink in and try it.

I really do appreciate all of your help.
Old Oct 22, 2013, 07:37 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,996 Posts
Modified DX7s programming

Now if you wanted to swap things around so that the 3 position switch controls the 3 flight modes while another 2 position switch controls the Return Home then this is what I would do.

Starting with a fresh blank Acro model.
  • Access System Setup
  • Scroll & Select Model Type and select Airplane (this will ensure model is blank/default)
  • Scroll & Select Sw Select
  • Inh every single switch (doing so makes it easier to select the proper channel to switch selections)
  • Change Flap:Inh to Flap:Gear
  • Change Gear:Inh to Gear:Aux1
  • Exit to Main Model and select Function List
  • Scroll & Select Throttle Cut
  • Select Trainer and change the value from 0% to -30%

Now at this point you should pretty much have a working setup except for possible switch position not toggle the right mode in the right switch position which can be fixed by reversing said channel.

Position all your switches up and away from you in Pos.0 and check to see if the craft is indicating Smart mode only. You would want the Gear switch when toggle to Pos.1 to trigger Return Home. You would also want Flap switch Pos.2 to trigger Agility, Pos.1 should be Stability and Pos.0 should be Smart. That way when you are getting ready to power up you can easily make sure the radio is ready by having all the switch up and away from you..

As for the GER>GER mix, it WILL NOT be needed if you are using the 3 position switch to control flight modes.
Last edited by freechip; Oct 22, 2013 at 07:45 PM.
Old Oct 22, 2013, 07:42 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,996 Posts
You cannot screw up the actual flight controls as the switch select screen won't allow you to move those around (channel assignment not available on DX7s)

You can always confirm the switching working on the bench WITHOUT actually powering on the motors, just look at the LED status indicator.

Green Solid SMART MODE (GPS enable)
Blue Solid STABILITY MODE (GPS enable)
Red Solid AGILITY MODE

Flashing Red RETURN HOME.