HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 10, 2015, 02:14 PM
Joined Nov 2014
1 Posts
Is it possible to flash this esc with simonk because I would like it for its 8s capability on a high power quad,at some point.
I looked in the open pilot compatibility list and found no hex file.
Maybe the answer is simple but I am new to flashing, please give me a tip.

Regards,
Rubem
ruben2000h is offline Find More Posts by ruben2000h
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 11, 2015, 05:36 AM
Joined Jan 2015
2 Posts
Mytery 20A "bs_nfet" compile with UART

Hello everybody -

I try to compile a file with UART enabled for a Mystery 20A "bs_nfet". Maybe somebody can help me with the following questions:
  1. What adaptations do I need to make to "tgy.asm" and "bs_nfet.inc" to get UART enabled with Baud: 115200 ?
  2. What is the exact UART command to send to the ESC? I saw some different versions like:
    Code:
    0xF5,0x50 //0xF5(Start)Comma(Separator)0x50(Value M1)
    0xF5 0x50 //0xF5(Start)Space(Separator)0x50(Value M1)
    Is there an additional byte as termination required (like \n or \r)?

EDIT: Ok command is clear now (thanks to OwenD):
Code:
0xF5<M1Val><M2Val><M3Val><M4Val>
0xF5 as start byte, followed by motor values with no separator and no termination, eg: 5 Byte for 4 motors.

Thanks!

Regards,
Oliver
carterb is offline Find More Posts by carterb
Last edited by carterb; Jan 12, 2015 at 06:26 AM.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 03:50 PM
Australia, NSW, Bowral
Joined May 2013
880 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterb View Post
Hello everybody -

I try to compile a file with UART enabled for a Mystery 20A "bs_nfet". Maybe somebody can help me with the following questions:
  1. What adaptations do I need to make to "tgy.asm" and "bs_nfet.inc" to get UART enabled with Baud: 115200 ?
  2. What is the exact UART command to send to the ESC? I saw some different versions like:
    Code:
    0xF5,0x50 //0xF5(Start)Comma(Separator)0x50(Value M1)
    0xF5 0x50 //0xF5(Start)Space(Separator)0x50(Value M1)
    Is there an additional byte as termination required (like \n or \r)?

Thanks!

Regards,
Oliver
From reading the source, it appears that >=0xF5 signals the start of a throttle command sequence of n bytes for n motors. The ESC will count down to extract the ID'th byte (assuming no data errors) and store it in rx_h... simple as that.

Owen
OwenD is offline Find More Posts by OwenD
Old Jan 12, 2015, 05:48 AM
Joined Jan 2015
2 Posts
Re: Mytery 20A "bs_nfet" compile with UART

Hello -

Quote:
From reading the source, it appears that >=0xF5 signals the start of a throttle command sequence of n bytes for n motors. The ESC will count down to extract the ID'th byte (assuming no data errors) and store it in rx_h... simple as that.
Thanks, I could test it with an older (non SimonK) pre-compiled version and it works.
But I'm still not able to compile from source with UART activated.

What I tried so far:
Code:
bs_nfet.inc:
.equ	F_CPU		= 16000000
.equ	USE_INT0	= 0
.equ	USE_I2C		= 0	; We could, but FETs are on the I2C ports
.equ	USE_UART	= 1
.equ	USE_ICP		= 0
Code:
tgy.asm:
#include "bs_nfet.inc"; HobbyKing BlueSeries / Mystery with all nFETs (INT0 PWM)
.equ	BOOT_LOADER	= 0	; Enable or disable boot loader
.equ	I2C_ADDR	= 0x50	; MK-style I2C address
.equ	MOTOR_ID	= 1	; MK-style I2C motor ID, or UART motor number
Unfortunately with no success. The connected motor only gives two tones (not the expected three). The ESC does not react on the UART-Command. I tried it with the standard BAUD rate of 38400.

Cheers,
Oliver
carterb is offline Find More Posts by carterb
Old Jan 23, 2015, 02:09 AM
James not bond
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined May 2012
2,078 Posts
just wondering..

I find that github no longer updates for a long time( 2months +)

are weout of simonk as a good option?
jy0933 is offline Find More Posts by jy0933
Old Jan 23, 2015, 06:40 AM
g0t rabb1t?
Lietuva, Vilnius
Joined Jul 2011
1,670 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jy0933 View Post
I find that github no longer updates for a long time( 2months +)
????
Commits on Jan 21, 2015
<...>
Commits on Jan 6, 2015
<...>
Commits on Dec 16, 2014
<...>

What "2months+"?
ABLomas is offline Find More Posts by ABLomas
Old Jan 23, 2015, 10:47 AM
James not bond
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined May 2012
2,078 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABLomas View Post
????
Commits on Jan 21, 2015
<...>
Commits on Jan 6, 2015
<...>
Commits on Dec 16, 2014
<...>

What "2months+"?
I meant.... like..this... (Pic)

anyways.. It seems a lot of people are using firmware of 2013-5-15(13?) version... is there a specific reason for it? like glitch or something need to mod before using the latest compilation?
jy0933 is offline Find More Posts by jy0933
Old Jan 24, 2015, 05:27 PM
France, Rhône-Alpes, Grenoble
Joined Sep 2009
14 Posts
please help

Hi guys,

yesterday i try to flash 4 30a yellow esc with tgy.hex esc. firmware + bootloader

3 where succesfull ( after some miss do to miss align of flashing tool and one failed )

I dont remember extacly when the one failed occured ( may be first or second one )
i think the error come to the fact after few try failing i removed the jupper 5v from usbasp and brick it. I think the problem came from fuse who get crazy....

i have the full log of what happened because i used kkflashtool.

Now the one who failed is unreadeable i always get -1 error. so it's burned or may be bad fuse config like go to external oscillator ( i dont have externale one on these esc )

Can you please help me to confirm this ???? may be i can restore fuse with external oscillator if the problem is this one ( i read it fews posts backward )

Please find the extract of all fuse writting for the 4 esc found into the log file

i suppose something is wrong for one of them can you confirm ? :

Line 141: avrdude.exe -C avrdude.conf -p m8 -P usb -c usbasp-clone -e -U lfuse:w:164:m -U hfuse:w:218:m
Line 141: avrdude.exe -C avrdude.conf -p m8 -P usb -c usbasp-clone -e -U lfuse:w:164:m -U hfuse:w:218:m
Line 270: avrdude.exe -C avrdude.conf -p m8 -P usb -c usbasp-clone -e -U lfuse:w:0x24:m -U hfuse:w:0xda:m
Line 270: avrdude.exe -C avrdude.conf -p m8 -P usb -c usbasp-clone -e -U lfuse:w:0x24:m -U hfuse:w:0xda:m
Line 298: avrdude.exe -C avrdude.conf -p m8 -P usb -c usbasp-clone -e -U lfuse:w:0x24:m -U hfuse:w:0xda:m
Line 298: avrdude.exe -C avrdude.conf -p m8 -P usb -c usbasp-clone -e -U lfuse:w:0x24:m -U hfuse:w:0xda:m
Line 326: avrdude.exe -C avrdude.conf -p m8 -P usb -c usbasp-clone -e -U lfuse:w:0x24:m -U hfuse:w:0xda:m
Line 326: avrdude.exe -C avrdude.conf -p m8 -P usb -c usbasp-clone -e -U lfuse:w:0x24:m -U hfuse:w:0xda:m
Line 366: avrdude.exe -C avrdude.conf -p m8 -P usb -c usbasp-clone -e -U lfuse:w:0x3f:m -U hfuse:w:0xca:m
Line 366: avrdude.exe -C avrdude.conf -p m8 -P usb -c usbasp-clone -e -U lfuse:w:0x3f:m -U hfuse:w:0xca:m
Line 557: avrdude.exe -C avrdude.conf -p m8 -P usb -c usbasp-clone -e -U lfuse:w:164:m -U hfuse:w:218:m
Line 557: avrdude.exe -C avrdude.conf -p m8 -P usb -c usbasp-clone -e -U lfuse:w:164:m -U hfuse:w:218:m
Line 909: avrdude.exe -C avrdude.conf -p m8 -P usb -c usbasp-clone -e -U lfuse:w:164:m -U hfuse:w:218:m
Line 909: avrdude.exe -C avrdude.conf -p m8 -P usb -c usbasp-clone -e -U lfuse:w:164:m -U hfuse:w:218:m

strange this i only have 3 lines of this :

Line 120: avrdude.exe: AVR device initialized and ready to accept instructions
Line 536: avrdude.exe: AVR device initialized and ready to accept instructions
Line 888: avrdude.exe: AVR device initialized and ready to accept instructions
drepou is offline Find More Posts by drepou
Last edited by drepou; Jan 24, 2015 at 05:34 PM.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 10:11 AM
United States, VA
Joined Dec 2006
1,501 Posts
This is the problem:
Quote:
Originally Posted by drepou View Post
Specifically: the lfuse of 0x3F turns on the external oscillator. Use this site to view what the fuse settings are: http://www.engbedded.com/fusecalc/
Just enter the fuse (in HEX) under "Current settings" and it will show you.

If you connect an external clock you should be able to reset the fuse to the correct setting.
LittleMo is offline Find More Posts by LittleMo
Old Jan 25, 2015, 03:12 PM
France, Rhône-Alpes, Grenoble
Joined Sep 2009
14 Posts
OK thanks for the confirmation.

I will try to pût an oscillator. I read that it should be done on pin7 only for atmega 8
I also read in other site that oscillator ( crystall )should go between pin 7 and 8.
What is the diff of these 2 solutions ?

i have an arduinio. I have read that i can use it to generate a clock.

// For Atmega328

void setup ()
{
// set up 8 MHz timer on pin 9
pinMode (9, OUTPUT);
// set up Timer 1
TCCR1A = _BV (COM1A0); // toggle OC1A on Compare Match
TCCR1B = _BV(WGM12) | _BV(CS10); // CTC, no prescaling
OCR1A = 0; // output every cycle
}

void loop () {}

I also have a 24mhz cristal on old printer board that i can
Use but fréquence to high right ? Max 16mhz ?

Sorry for stupid question but i dont know anything on avr and atmel.

Must difficult will be to use the HobbyKing tool plus a clock wire solder at same time. They should think to add a wire on the tool !

Last question wich fuse value should i use te ne able to rerun the flash procedure ? 24 da ?
drepou is offline Find More Posts by drepou
Last edited by drepou; Jan 25, 2015 at 05:14 PM.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 02:18 AM
Master of Flash
Alsdorf/Eifel, Germany
Joined Jun 2005
1,588 Posts
Looks like you used the "fuse restore, external Oscilator" entry from the available board dropdown menu.

Christian
LazyZero is offline Find More Posts by LazyZero
Old Jan 27, 2015, 11:10 AM
Joined Jan 2015
4 Posts
Did you find out what firmware to use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ny_racer_xxx View Post
I'm having an issue with an ebay Simonk esc (go figure..)

I bought 4 of the red 30amp pieces that are all over ebay. 3 seem to work fine and I can't calibrate, the 4th I tried everything and can't get to beep into calibrate mode.

Ebay link

It will spin up, but it lazy, and also sometimes just makes weird noises... Swapped the motor to a different esc, and it's fine, so the motor checks good.

Pretty sure the esc is messed up..

I opened the heat shrink to see if it had the Atmel chip and it does...

My question is, does anybody know what Simonk file would work to flash these esc's?
jcar01 is offline Find More Posts by jcar01
Old Jan 27, 2015, 11:11 AM
Joined Jan 2015
4 Posts
Did you find out what firmware file to use?
Old Jan 27, 2015, 11:44 AM
Joined Jan 2015
4 Posts
Suppo 20a

I purchased 20A SUPPO with hobbywing firmware from http://www.altitudehobbies.com/hobby...ywing-firmware One of the ESC's is causing my motor to shake. I checked all the connections and programming.

I want to flash this with SimonK and need help to identify the firmware version I need to use. I am attaching a Youtube of the motor shake and photos of the ESC. Any help would be great.

.motor shake (0 min 22 sec)

Thanks!
Old Jan 27, 2015, 04:46 PM
Germany, RP, Diez
Joined May 2009
896 Posts
That type of shaking is usually down to a bad phase.. either you have a broken wire, the motor has a broken winding, or the ESC has a fried output. SimonK isn't going to fix a hardware issue.
Arakon is online now Find More Posts by Arakon