HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 25, 2015, 09:44 PM
"Free crash instruction"
long island N.Y.
Joined Jan 2004
1,741 Posts
Great looking model for sure! Nice job Capt. I'm still iffy with flying the four blade I carved. I wish some company would come out with 12,13 and 14 inch blades with lower pitches. LICobra, Did you make it to the swap in levittown today ?
Cr@sh is online now Find More Posts by Cr@sh
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 25, 2015, 10:30 PM
USA, Texas Hill Country
Joined May 2008
1,971 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LICobra View Post
I agree....Capt go for the 4 blade....
LICobra - I can't recall what your power set up is. What motor, ESC and battery did you choose to swing the four blade? Also did you cut a stock Efl spinner for an FMS prop?

I painted the stock, two lade spinner white, directly over the red and it bled slightly through, not real bad, but red is an odd color to cover sometimes. I should have stripped it and primed first.

Cr@sh - Have you done any full pwr run ups? I made a four blade with FMS blades and an X mount based on your idea but definitely would not consider applying much power to the way mine feels. At this point mine would serve only as a static display if I fit a spinner to it.

Cheers
capteasy is online now Find More Posts by capteasy
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by capteasy; Jan 25, 2015 at 10:56 PM.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 11:20 PM
"Free crash instruction"
long island N.Y.
Joined Jan 2004
1,741 Posts
Man , I flew it and it still did not get 100%...I thought ,there she goes.... and it's a brick for dead stick. It is still hanging in there with 4 flights, till it got cold. I still have another one in box I may start this week . I'm not going to hop this one up as to keep it light. I'm presently using the cut down APC four blade so I'm not sure if you meant FMS or APC prop? The FMS worked on bench but scared the hell out of me. I did have one fly apart but my fault......I did not tighten the hub enough so it came off and hit edge of table, then blew apart. I'm glad the blades didn't go threw any other fuselages laying around or me for that matter.LOL.
Cr@sh is online now Find More Posts by Cr@sh
Old Jan 26, 2015, 09:16 AM
Warbird Enthusiast
Long Island, NY
Joined Jan 2008
5,595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cr@sh View Post
LICobra, Did you make it to the swap in levittown today ?
C....I was at the show and sold 2 airplanes and a lot stuff I was no longer going to use.....ESC's and stuff like that, not a big turnout as far as the venders go, but I sold everything I brought with me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by capteasy View Post
LICobra - I can't recall what your power set up is. What motor, ESC and battery did you choose to swing the four blade? Also did you cut a stock Efl spinner for an FMS prop?
Capt......When I changed to a 4 blade I went with a Scorpion 4025 550kv, 80A ESC using a 4000mah 4S. The spinner is the stock spinner with 2 extra blade reliefs cut in. The prop is an APC 15.5X12 cut down to a 13" diameter, as I needed a strong motor to spin a prop with all the pitch that could take a high amount of amps that also had a 5MM shaft so I could retain the stick spinner assembly.

4 blade props are difficult to find for this size airframe, not only because of the diameter and pitch....but also the size of the center portion of the prop.
I bought a very expensive Biela 4 blade and although it looks great, the thickness of the prop "center portion" is much thicker then the APC I have now and will not fit correctly on the stock prop adapter, besides the stock spinner would have to be drastically modified...so that was a no go.

I might try a Zinger wooden 4 blade prop as a backup (with a little less pitch then the APC) since the Biela didn't work, if it doesn't fit the spinner assembly, at least it won't be nearly as expensive to try.

Looks like the Biela will have to go on ebay so I can recoup some of that cash....
LICobra is online now Find More Posts by LICobra
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FMS P-51 4 blade vs 2 blade
Old Jan 26, 2015, 06:53 PM
USA, Texas Hill Country
Joined May 2008
1,971 Posts
LICobra- Thanks very much for the info. That's just what I needed to know.

I'm real curious if the larger FMS 4250 580Kv motor would carry the weight of this with the stock FMS 4 blade. One way or the other I'll fly Ding Hoa as is, for now and consider the upgrades later.

I'll let you all know how the maiden goes soon as I sort out my battery availability.

Best
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: E-flite hawker Hurricane 25E
Old Jan 26, 2015, 10:15 PM
Warbird Enthusiast
Long Island, NY
Joined Jan 2008
5,595 Posts
Quote:
I'm real curious if the larger FMS 4250 580Kv motor would carry the weight of this with the stock FMS 4 blade. One way or the other I'll fly Ding Hoa as is, for now and consider the upgrades later.
The E-flite P-51B is 1 lb heavier (with retracts), I would imagine the 4250-580 would fly it on a 4S, but with how much authority. If I was thinking about an FMS motor I'd probably use the larger 4258-550 on 5S
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FMS P-51 4 blade vs 2 blade
Old Jan 27, 2015, 12:16 AM
USA, Texas Hill Country
Joined May 2008
1,971 Posts
You're correct about the weight I think. I don't know how they came up with such a heavy airframe but it still looks great and I'm sure I'll enjoy flying it regardless as long as it's safe.

I'm going to take a look at the 4258-550. Did your Scorpion 4025 bolt on without much trouble?
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: E-flite hawker Hurricane 25E
Old Jan 27, 2015, 08:00 AM
Warbird Enthusiast
Long Island, NY
Joined Jan 2008
5,595 Posts
Quote:
You're correct about the weight I think. I don't know how they came up with such a heavy airframe but it still looks great and I'm sure I'll enjoy flying it regardless as long as it's safe.

I'm going to take a look at the 4258-550. Did your Scorpion 4025 bolt on without much trouble?
I did check the dimensions first before I purchased it and got lucky, as I was able to bolt it up with the X mount right to the motor box...and even though the scorpion is much larger it fit perfectly just like the Power 32 with spacers I had used previous ...

You can see the extra weight I had to use with the Power 32 because of the retracting tail wheel upset the CG, with the larger Scorpion that weight was gone and I actually had to add a small amount of weight in the tail...

That particular scorpion motor came with a 6mm main shaft, but had an optional 5mm main shaft that I changed to fit the stock spinner.....nothing is easy...but I was determined to get the 4 blade to work with the stock spinner.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by LICobra; Jan 27, 2015 at 08:11 AM.