HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 19, 2014, 08:26 AM
United States, MA, Freetown
Joined Sep 2014
37 Posts
Discussion
Spektrum dx Transmitter

OK!! Quick question, is the Spektrum dx transmitter the best that works with most all Heli's and is the dx6i most standard transmitter used?
Does the Spektrum transmitter have to have a Spektrum receiver for it to work with and how many heli's can you use with one transmitter?

inkslinger is offline Find More Posts by inkslinger
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 19, 2014, 10:04 AM
Y=C+I+G
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
8,167 Posts
1. no. it works only on Spektrum compatible receivers (Spektrum, Orange Rx, etc.). use this to determine compatibility: http://bindnfly.com/CompatibleProducts/

2. answered in #1. using Dx4e and Dx5e you can bind several (i have done it with planes, helis should follow suit). using Dx6i there is Model Match so you are limited to the 10 model memory (hence, 10 helis). i imagine anything higher than Dx6i also has Model Match.

these questions may be better directed at: http://www.rcgroups.com/radios-135/
cmdl is online now Find More Posts by cmdl
Old Sep 19, 2014, 02:48 PM
Joined Sep 2014
37 Posts
So the DX6 is better transmitter to get than the DX6i and it's more compatible with more Brand Heli's!
Right now I only have is a Blade cx2 and ounce master may be go with a 200 on up BNF Heli later , would just like one transmitter to handle a couple of heli's.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 03:03 PM
Y=C+I+G
Joined Jan 2012
8,167 Posts
not sure how you got the Dx6 is "more" compatible. it either is compatible or is not. it still has 6 channels. it does have more features but you can ask about those in the radio forum link i gave earlier.

a note of caution: the bindnfly.com info may not be entirely accurate so use it just as a guideline. it only compares two full range radios (Dx4e and 5e and i don't think the rest are full range). for example, for the mcp x v2, it states that the Dx4e is compatible and the Dx5e is compatible but not recommended. this makes no sense to me.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 09:18 AM
Joined Sep 2014
37 Posts
What would be a all around transmitter that would fly most heli's. Like the Walkera will use the Devo Tx and the Blade will use the Spectrum Tx , witch would be the best for your buck that I could use with a Coaxial Heli and later a Fix Pitch Heli?
Old Sep 22, 2014, 10:22 AM
Y=C+I+G
Joined Jan 2012
8,167 Posts
Dx6i in terms of cheapest. everyone seems to recommend Dx6 as best bang-for-the-buck. i have no experience with it but given the recommendations i will buy one in the future.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 06:31 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,485 Posts
The DX6 has more features than the DX6i, which makes it easier to set up with some models. There are probably more compatible Spectrum models than any other brand. WL Toys makes quite a model selection, but they don't have a good transmitter and their protocol changes frequently. I've been using the DX6i for a number of years and I have no complaints. I have 4 quads and 6 helis it works with, all available at the local hobby shop. But, if you want cheap, you will need to look elsewhere. Some of the Devo models are very nice, but the better ones aren't cheap and the cheap ones are difficult to get used to programming. Most can be upgraded with firmware to support Spectrum models. Walkera makes few desirable models, now. They have moved into land vehicles and and high-end FPV gear.

It's real hard to beat Spectrum for support.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Sep 24, 2014, 05:07 AM
Joined Sep 2014
37 Posts
I've been reading a lot that the DX6 was better than the DX6i and it seems to be a lot less on price too
witch is better
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
The DX6 has more features than the DX6i, which makes it easier to set up with some models. There are probably more compatible Spectrum models than any other brand. WL Toys makes quite a model selection, but they don't have a good transmitter and their protocol changes frequently. I've been using the DX6i for a number of years and I have no complaints. I have 4 quads and 6 helis it works with, all available at the local hobby shop. But, if you want cheap, you will need to look elsewhere. Some of the Devo models are very nice, but the better ones aren't cheap and the cheap ones are difficult to get used to programming. Most can be upgraded with firmware to support Spectrum models. Walkera makes few desirable models, now. They have moved into land vehicles and and high-end FPV gear.

It's real hard to beat Spectrum for support.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 07:26 AM
⤤ ⤳ ⤴ ⇲
Joined Aug 2008
1,205 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by inkslinger View Post
I've been reading a lot that the DX6 was better than the DX6i and it seems to be a lot less on price too witch is better
Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you have written, but the Dx6 is more expensive being as it's a new release. The Dx6i is discounted now because it's getting long in the tooth (like many of us here).
New Dx6 ... $200 at Horizon
Dx6i .... $130 at Horizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
I have 4 quads and 6 helis it works with, all available at the local hobby shop.
Soooo ... does that mean you haven't bought one of these yet?
Name: des.jpg
Views: 6
Size: 132.8 KB
Description:
mono is offline Find More Posts by mono
Old Sep 24, 2014, 10:04 AM
Y=C+I+G
Joined Jan 2012
8,167 Posts
^^ nice. looks like a must-have for Balr.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 01:43 PM
Joined Sep 2014
37 Posts
My "mistake" I thought the DX6i was the Black Tx
Quote:
Originally Posted by mono View Post
Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you have written, but the Dx6 is more expensive being as it's a new release. The Dx6i is discounted now because it's getting long in the tooth (like many of us here).
New Dx6 ... $200 at Horizon
Dx6i .... $130 at Horizon

Soooo ... does that mean you haven't bought one of these yet?
Attachment 7130499
Old Sep 27, 2014, 02:59 PM
Joined Sep 2014
37 Posts
Are the Devo Tx any good? I see they a lot cheaper than Spectrum's Tx
Old Sep 27, 2014, 07:50 PM
⤤ ⤳ ⤴ ⇲
Joined Aug 2008
1,205 Posts
They can be depending on which model you get and whether you are comfortable with putting Deviation firmware on it to give it more usability.
You could just use one in stock form and fly Walkera stuff in the RTF or BNF types.
However, most now get them to utilise Deviation, but it has a steep learning curve especially for those who may not be familiar with programmable radios.
The Devo 10 is the best value for money in that range, the Devo 7 is the least usable (for various reasons) followed by the 7e which needs a complicated electronic modification to make it work beyond ~30 meters.
mono is offline Find More Posts by mono
Old Sep 28, 2014, 06:48 AM
Joined Sep 2014
37 Posts
Why are the Walkera stuff RTF so less costly with the Tx . Are they any good, I'm just doing my research as a newbie. So is the Spectrum Tx more user friendly?
Old Sep 28, 2014, 10:36 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,485 Posts
Devo isn't bad, but requires firmware upgrades and you need to be very careful about which model you buy. Some have very limited range, some have very unfriendly user interfaces that require a lot learning and patience, because the terminology is different. Documentation is poor and so is support. The only Devo model I would choose is not cheap (Devo 8). I have had the Devo 7 and didn't like it at all. But, I'm old and don't have the patience to put up with a lot of hassle. Spectrum is very friendly and easy to use and Horizon is always there to help.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14