HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jul 08, 2014, 12:54 AM
Registered User
Joined May 2014
43 Posts
Discussion
In general, is it better to use 5V electronics instead of 12V?

Okay I have what might be a very dumb question. I am just starting out in FPV and so my question has to do with general, best-practices type of stuff. A lot of components in FPV like cameras and video transmitters come in both 5V and 12V varieties. My hunch is that the actual circuitry inside most 12V devices run at a lower voltage anyway (like 5V), and that they have some kind of built-in voltage regulator that knocks the 12V signal down to whatever they need. In that case, if they use linear regulators, they will create a lot of heat in the process. So in your guys' experience with electronics, is it wiser to go with lower voltage parts in general, so that you don't end up creating more heat and more power waste than necessary?
Rockworthy is offline Find More Posts by Rockworthy
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 08, 2014, 12:59 AM
Registered User
Daemon's Avatar
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,643 Posts
The real issue is Rf noise, not heat.
And yes, some 12V devices (particularly some cameras) have voltage regulators
that spew out a lot of noise that may interfere with UHF control systems and GPS receivers,
while the 5V versions usually don't. That's a generalization though as there are
some Rf clean 12V cameras. Most FPV rigs are a mix of 5V and 12V gear, and you
just have to be careful choosing the right combination.
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 09, 2014, 12:43 AM
Registered User
Joined May 2014
43 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
The real issue is Rf noise, not heat.
And yes, some 12V devices (particularly some cameras) have voltage regulators
that spew out a lot of noise that may interfere with UHF control systems and GPS receivers,
while the 5V versions usually don't. That's a generalization though as there are
some Rf clean 12V cameras. Most FPV rigs are a mix of 5V and 12V gear, and you
just have to be careful choosing the right combination.
Hmm, that's really interesting. I hadn't considered that the bigger problem is the RF noise. I know that linear-type voltage regulators are supposed to be cleaner than switching-type (at the cost of waste heat, battery life). Do you find that there are some linear VRs that are actually noisier than a good switching type? I know that this is a hard question to answer because there is both power noise and RF noise...

Since there is RF noise created by the camera, is it best to go with one that is designed to go inside an aluminum case, like this one? http://www.surveilzone.com/sony-supe...osd-fpv-hs1171 Perhaps that metal case will be like a little faraday cage, and stop most or all of the RF noise. Speaking of faraday cages, would it then be useful to wrap as many components as possible inside little metal-mesh bags or something? Perhaps aluminum foil...
Rockworthy is offline Find More Posts by Rockworthy
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 09, 2014, 12:50 PM
Registered User
Joined Sep 2013
249 Posts
We have not heard any feedback about HS1171 camera has any RF, GPS or UHF noise. It is with metal case, and its plastic case version is coming up soon, probably on next Monday.
SurveilZone is online now Find More Posts by SurveilZone
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 09, 2014, 02:23 PM
Registered User
Joined Jul 2013
483 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockworthy View Post
Hmm, that's really interesting. I hadn't considered that the bigger problem is the RF noise. I know that linear-type voltage regulators are supposed to be cleaner than switching-type (at the cost of waste heat, battery life). Do you find that there are some linear VRs that are actually noisier than a good switching type? I know that this is a hard question to answer because there is both power noise and RF noise...

Since there is RF noise created by the camera, is it best to go with one that is designed to go inside an aluminum case, like this one? http://www.surveilzone.com/sony-supe...osd-fpv-hs1171 Perhaps that metal case will be like a little faraday cage, and stop most or all of the RF noise. Speaking of faraday cages, would it then be useful to wrap as many components as possible inside little metal-mesh bags or something? Perhaps aluminum foil...
600tvl sony super had II CCD camera HS1171 is a classic one, of good performance. And we have not heard any feedback that it has any RF noise yet.
davidsz is offline Find More Posts by davidsz
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 09, 2014, 07:42 PM
Registered User
Liquidsilver's Avatar
United States, DC, Washington
Joined May 2012
70 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurveilZone View Post
We have not heard any feedback about HS1171 camera has any RF, GPS or UHF noise. It is with metal case, and its plastic case version is coming up soon, probably on next Monday.
You just made my day. I was looking at cameras all afternoon and wanted the HS1171 but the metal case was a deal breaker. I am very excited you have a plastic version coming out.
Liquidsilver is online now Find More Posts by Liquidsilver
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2014, 01:22 AM
Registered User
Joined May 2014
43 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidsilver View Post
You just made my day. I was looking at cameras all afternoon and wanted the HS1171 but the metal case was a deal breaker. I am very excited you have a plastic version coming out.
The metal version might actually be better because the aluminum should act as a barrier to RF noise. I could see buying the plastic version, just to go back and cover the thing with aluminum foil to solve an RF noise problem!
Rockworthy is offline Find More Posts by Rockworthy
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2014, 11:39 AM
Registered User
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,949 Posts
CMOS cameras are using directly 5V and for 3.3V they use linear LDO regulators, with no heat nor RF, because the consumption is very small.
The issues described above are for CCD alone, and what is more important to notice is that the RF clean cameras are because of carefully designed circuits, not due to 5V usage. Most CCD sensors requires 8V internally, so even for 5V cameras there is a step-up switching converter, also noise generator if not proper designed.
renatoa is online now Find More Posts by renatoa
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2014, 12:51 AM
Registered User
Joined May 2014
43 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by renatoa View Post
CMOS cameras are using directly 5V and for 3.3V they use linear LDO regulators, with no heat nor RF, because the consumption is very small.
The issues described above are for CCD alone, and what is more important to notice is that the RF clean cameras are because of carefully designed circuits, not due to 5V usage. Most CCD sensors requires 8V internally, so even for 5V cameras there is a step-up switching converter, also noise generator if not proper designed.
Wow thanks for the input Renatoa. Jeese, you've got so many posts here on RCG I'm impressed. This is helpful information about CMOS cameras.
Rockworthy is offline Find More Posts by Rockworthy
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2014, 01:07 AM
Registered User
Joined May 2014
43 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by renatoa View Post
CMOS cameras are using directly 5V and for 3.3V they use linear LDO regulators, with no heat nor RF, because the consumption is very small.
The issues described above are for CCD alone, and what is more important to notice is that the RF clean cameras are because of carefully designed circuits, not due to 5V usage. Most CCD sensors requires 8V internally, so even for 5V cameras there is a step-up switching converter, also noise generator if not proper designed.
Hey Renatoa, which camera would you think has better overall video quality:
#1: http://www.surveilzone.com/sony-supe...osd-fpv-hs1171 ...Or....
#2: http://www.surveilzone.com/sony-960h...-camera-cc1526

Lets assume the input voltage doesn't matter, nor does the physical size or weight difference. In other words, do you think it's the exact same sensor with slightly difference electronics packaging and lens?
Rockworthy is offline Find More Posts by Rockworthy
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2014, 05:03 AM
Registered User
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,949 Posts
None from them, switched back to sc2k after the last PZ0420 from surveilzone arrived DOA these days...
Pretty positive seems to be different sensors, though.
As personal preference, I would go with the first from the above list.
renatoa is online now Find More Posts by renatoa
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2014, 01:45 PM
Registered User
Joined Jul 2013
483 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockworthy View Post
Hey Renatoa, which camera would you think has better overall video quality:
#1: http://www.surveilzone.com/sony-supe...osd-fpv-hs1171 ...Or....
#2: http://www.surveilzone.com/sony-960h...-camera-cc1526

Lets assume the input voltage doesn't matter, nor does the physical size or weight difference. In other words, do you think it's the exact same sensor with slightly difference electronics packaging and lens?
The color and clarity of effio-v 800tvl ultra WDR camera CC1526 is much better, but 600tvl sony super had II CCD camera HS1171 is with smaller size which is only 25*25mm and support DC5V.
Here is the video of comparison between CC1526 and HS1171, you can have a look.
800tvl effio-v camera video:
Sony Effio-V 800TVL FPV camera first flight (6 min 53 sec)

HS1171 video:
FPV ASK21 glider testing CAM HS1171 25x25 Sony 600TVL Part3 (3 min 55 sec)
davidsz is offline Find More Posts by davidsz
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2014, 01:49 PM
Registered User
Joined Sep 2013
249 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by renatoa View Post
None from them, switched back to sc2k after the last PZ0420 from surveilzone arrived DOA these days...
Pretty positive seems to be different sensors, though.
As personal preference, I would go with the first from the above list.
We're the manufacture of the classic 600tvl camera, not clone. We have low DOA percentage of this camera, but it happens.

Please send us an email to info@surveilzone.com with your order details, such as your full name, order number or your PayPal email address.

Our customer service will instruct you how to deal with the DOA camera. We're more than happy to send you replacement if the camera is DOA. And we'll cover the return shipping cost.
SurveilZone is online now Find More Posts by SurveilZone
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2014, 11:49 PM
Registered User
Joined May 2014
43 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsz View Post
The color and clarity of effio-v 800tvl ultra WDR camera CC1526 is much better, but 600tvl sony super had II CCD camera HS1171 is with smaller size which is only 25*25mm and support DC5V.
Here is the video of comparison between CC1526 and HS1171, you can have a look.
800tvl effio-v camera video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-ei...miXkXiShouRm8g
HS1171 video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXie...ature=youtu.be
Wow thanks for the comparison videos. They both look absolutely stunning. SO MUCH BETTER than cameras from just a couple years ago. Scary-good. Amazing colors and dynamic range, and the low-light performance is much better than I would have expected from a board camera. The $50 800TVL Effio must be better than that $169 Team Blacksheep one...
Rockworthy is offline Find More Posts by Rockworthy
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2014, 12:21 PM
Registered User
Joined Sep 2013
249 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockworthy View Post
Wow thanks for the comparison videos. They both look absolutely stunning. SO MUCH BETTER than cameras from just a couple years ago. Scary-good. Amazing colors and dynamic range, and the low-light performance is much better than I would have expected from a board camera. The $50 800TVL Effio must be better than that $169 Team Blacksheep one...
Yes, the 800tvl effio-v camera is the latest, which has stunning good performance. Worth to mention, pretty good at night as well.
SurveilZone is online now Find More Posts by SurveilZone
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Power Supply Options when using 5V & 12V Devices - Comments? pcfiedler Power Systems 11 Jul 09, 2014 12:57 AM
Discussion In general, are 5V electronics better to use than 12V? Rockworthy Power Systems 2 Jul 08, 2014 12:53 AM
Question 5v or 12v Camera Signal - Electronics help needed. Dave Pitman FPV Equipment 9 Apr 11, 2014 07:47 PM
Discussion Using a 12V camera with an Immersion 600mw 5v output VTX ALEX HEWSON FPV Talk 14 Apr 03, 2014 12:15 PM
Help! FlySky 9x - use arduino 5v instead of internal 5v regulators (burned them) Sky.Sky Radios 0 Mar 06, 2014 06:37 PM