HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 18, 2012, 05:38 PM
Lipo Burner
United States, FL, Sunrise
Joined Mar 2012
698 Posts
Discussion
6s 1kg tricopter

SO i'm thinking about putting together a super speedy tricopter.

I see a lot of builds using the typical 10x4.7 sf props 3s lipo and 700-900 kv motors and that seems to work well.

Why not build a multi using 10x7 props or something else with a relatively steep pitch- even better an HV setup

Here's what I am thinking:

My current build uses 10x4.7 props, 800kv motors running on 4s with an auw of ~1000g

I'm thinking of using 800kv motors (bigger motors), 6s lipo and 9x5 props to get some good top end, while still retaining decent hover.

Also considering using throttle curves to maintain decent stability at hover. Would this work, or am I at the limit of the controller?

I am relatively new to multirotors, but not helicopters in general.

FYI the main reason I'm doing it this way vs 4s is because I have a bunch of 6s 2200 mah lipos collecting dust
dcame002 is offline Find More Posts by dcame002
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 18, 2012, 06:48 PM
Emress
United States, SD, Rapid City
Joined Nov 2011
1,936 Posts
i think it should.
sirbow2 is offline Find More Posts by sirbow2
Old Dec 19, 2012, 02:22 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,949 Posts
Bigger prop pitch will not increase (too much) forward speed, but will increase power waste for sure.
Also, for speed, reduce drag. So, you don't need more motors, a simple tricopter will perform better.
Just increase kv, decrease prop size, use electric props, not slow fly, will result same lift, less drag.
Because the pitch of smaller props is in the same 4-5 ballpark, but kv increased, this will favor also forward speed.
But not this degree, 6s is ludicrous, this thing will be out of control with hover under 30% throttle.
renatoa is online now Find More Posts by renatoa
Last edited by renatoa; Dec 19, 2012 at 03:02 AM.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 10:26 AM
Lipo Burner
Joined Mar 2012
698 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by renatoa View Post
Bigger prop pitch will not increase (too much) forward speed, but will increase power waste for sure.
Also, for speed, reduce drag. So, you don't need more motors, a simple tricopter will perform better.
Just increase kv, decrease prop size, use electric props, not slow fly, will result same lift, less drag.
Because the pitch of smaller props is in the same 4-5 ballpark, but kv increased, this will favor also forward speed.
But not this degree, 6s is ludicrous, this thing will be out of control with hover under 30% throttle.
Thanks. I plan on sticking with a tricopter anyway. Was doing some brainstorming last night about airframe drag and rather than having the "fuselage" horizontal, I can mount everything vertically to reduce the cross section in FFF- like a sunfish!

A throttle curve to put me at 40-50% hover throttle may help, but can you experienced guys chime in as to the esc signal resolution issues?
Old Dec 19, 2012, 11:36 AM
Baton Rouge, LA, USA
Joined Dec 2001
963 Posts
Dude... 6S on 800 kv is going to be fast... no matter what prop... LOL...

Its not the most efficent design, but the high RPMs will give great stibility !!.. If the props are not too big...

Be ready to put smaller props... Turn the gain way up and it sould be a rock..

Eddie
EddieWeeks is offline Find More Posts by EddieWeeks
Old Dec 19, 2012, 11:48 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,949 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieWeeks View Post
Dude... 6S on 800 kv is going to be fast... no matter what prop... LOL...

Its not the most efficent design, but the high RPMs will give great stibility !!.. If the props are not too big...

Be ready to put smaller props... Turn the gain way up and it sould be a rock..

Eddie
So probably all those guys using 3-400kv motors are the kings of unstable setups... and warthox using 1200 kv is so boring to watch...
renatoa is online now Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Dec 19, 2012, 12:59 PM
Lipo Burner
Joined Mar 2012
698 Posts
I'm looking at these motors as they look robust enough to handle 6s.....

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ess_Motor.html

or

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ter_Motor.html

any esc suggestions??? (CHEAP)
Old Dec 20, 2012, 02:28 PM
Baton Rouge, LA, USA
Joined Dec 2001
963 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by renatoa View Post
So probably all those guys using 3-400kv motors are the kings of unstable setups... and warthox using 1200 kv is so boring to watch...
no... the response time of small props turning fast is less than that of large props with low KV motors... I found this to make things more stable.... this does not mean 400 kv motos with large props are not stable... its just the less efficient setup can be more stable..

Eddie
EddieWeeks is offline Find More Posts by EddieWeeks