SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 09, 2012, 12:56 AM
Augermeister
United States, TX, Keller
Joined Jul 2011
2,679 Posts
Hi Guys,

New to this thread. Been researching civilian twins lately. Currently have a DH-88 Comet and have a hankering for another electric twin. Been looking at the Dynam C321, Cermark C421 and of course the Duke B60. Any opinions on one over another? The Duke looks great but with a 5ft WS maybe a monster to transport in my sedan. I fly off a grass field. Will the retracts hold up? It seems like alot of plane for the money. The C321 is less $$ but is also less plane. Decisions , Decisions !

Hoping to decide on Black Friday when Nitroplanes usually has a pretty good sale.

-Hawk
dahawk47 is online now Find More Posts by dahawk47
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 09, 2012, 07:25 AM
United States, RI, West Warwick
Joined Mar 2009
200 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dahawk47 View Post
Hi Guys,

New to this thread. Been researching civilian twins lately. Currently have a DH-88 Comet and have a hankering for another electric twin. Been looking at the Dynam C321, Cermark C421 and of course the Duke B60. Any opinions on one over another? The Duke looks great but with a 5ft WS maybe a monster to transport in my sedan. I fly off a grass field. Will the retracts hold up? It seems like alot of plane for the money. The C321 is less $$ but is also less plane. Decisions , Decisions !

Hoping to decide on Black Friday when Nitroplanes usually has a pretty good sale.

-Hawk
Hey Hawk,

Can't give much insight to the other's but I do have the Duke. With the wing off, you should be able to fit it in your car. I tested it, ans was able to get it in to my little 1990 Toyota Tercel. You will have to take the wing off unless you have a very large SUV. I have a Blazer and still have to take the wing off to fit. IN regards to the retracts, the only issue I have had is on a rough landing the whole unit pulls out of the wing...they aren't held in with very much adhesive, so they pop easily. Just put a good amount of epoxy on the and you are good to go. Fixed one, then the other popped out. They both came in pretty hard though, on normal landings they were fine. One thing that may sway your decision is that the Duke is out of stock, and probably will be for Black Friday as well, but it will be well worth the wait. I love mine, worth every penny as far as I'm concerned. I have 5 guys at my field who want it!

Dave
viper1216 is offline Find More Posts by viper1216
Old Nov 09, 2012, 01:04 PM
Roanoke, VA
Joined Sep 2008
928 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crash74 View Post
I'm more interested on "HOW" to get it in!! Or any camera for that matter!! The canopy if glued to cockpit. do I just hack a big hole in the back wall?? But that will interferer with the latch!
An X-Acto knife works great... I had to do that to put in my cockpit lighting... Better question is how did they have it setup for a quick change, unless they put a hole in the bottom to quick in and out.
sparkie624 is offline Find More Posts by sparkie624
Old Nov 09, 2012, 11:30 PM
Noob with Issues
United States, AZ, Maricopa
Joined Jul 2011
1,048 Posts
yes quick change. maybe cut off canopy and then add magnets??? what about the front steering? any good ideas on how to hook it up??
crash74 is offline Find More Posts by crash74
Old Nov 10, 2012, 09:28 AM
Roanoke, VA
Joined Sep 2008
928 Posts
Quote:
yes quick change. maybe cut off canopy and then add magnets??? what about the front steering? any good ideas on how to hook it up??
I am working on that. I need to go shopping at my local hobbyshop to find something. What they have on grass does not work too well.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 05:50 PM
Noob with Issues
Joined Jul 2011
1,048 Posts
here are a few pictures of my wiring of the esc's and separate receiver battery
Old Nov 10, 2012, 06:09 PM
Noob with Issues
Joined Jul 2011
1,048 Posts
question?? From the stock pictures it looks like the esc's may be close to the motors and and LONG battery cable to reach the battery compartment!! Is that a fact or how is this bird wired from the factory??
Old Nov 10, 2012, 07:39 PM
Noob with Issues
Joined Jul 2011
1,048 Posts
I did a motor test and I'm using a 40 amp esc. with a 9x7 prop I'm pulling 28 amps and 300 watts. I just bought those props so Instead of propping up to get closer to 35 amps 500 watts that my motors are capable of doing. I want to know what you guys are pulling and how the performance is!! Thx
Old Nov 11, 2012, 12:25 AM
Noob with Issues
Joined Jul 2011
1,048 Posts
Duke B60 Test Vid (0 min 55 sec)

A short video on my lighting!!
Old Nov 11, 2012, 04:26 AM
Roanoke, VA
Joined Sep 2008
928 Posts
Quote:

A short video on my lighting!!
Looks nice, only 3 things I did differently.

Red lights in the cockpit vs white (don't want to mess up the pilots night vision)
White tail Nav Light
Did not install an upper flashing beacon, even though I love the idea.

Great job on it.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 04:28 AM
Roanoke, VA
Joined Sep 2008
928 Posts
Quote:
here are a few pictures of my wiring of the esc's and separate receiver battery
Is that battery 3S or 4S. I used one 4000 4S on mine and works great.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 04:29 AM
Roanoke, VA
Joined Sep 2008
928 Posts
Quote:
question?? From the stock pictures it looks like the esc's may be close to the motors and and LONG battery cable to reach the battery compartment!! Is that a fact or how is this bird wired from the factory??
From the factory, the ESC is located behind the motor in the Nacelle. The Battery Wires are fairly long.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 08:45 AM
Noob with Issues
Joined Jul 2011
1,048 Posts
The interior lights is part of my landing lights off another plane. ( I love the red light idea but I'm keeping it cheap. those lights cost me around 100.) I'm a noob so I always look for advice from an expert. I follow a brilliant guy who makes all his planes from scratch and they are mainly twins. ( what I like) He told me to ALWAYS keep battery wires and lead's to the esc's as short as possible (Long leads can cause current flux and mess up esc's) The leads to the motors can be as long as you like! Just an FYI. My stupid canopy lock broke last night so off to magnets! Unless you guys have an Idea???? The motors I found that look just like the original one only states 3 cell so I'm running 2 in parallel so 3 cell 4400mah. with a 9x7 prop I get 2 1/4 lbs of thrust 300 watts at 28 amps per motor. rule of thumb is 80- 120 watts per pound for scale flying. I'm on the higher side. If the plane isn't fast enough I can always prop up!! the motor shafts are a little long so the spinners are 1/2" from the cowl I'm also running all Hs82mg servos. so from an experts advice I decided not to use a bec and go with a separate battery pack for the receiver.
Last edited by crash74; Nov 11, 2012 at 09:00 AM.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 08:00 PM
Don't Move I've Dropped My Nut
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Feb 2009
1,724 Posts
Sparkie; Do you know the dimensions of those stock motors (dia and length)?

Crash; What motors did you choose?

I intend to order the "kit" version when it is back in stock.

Thanks!
bamaguy is offline Find More Posts by bamaguy
Old Nov 12, 2012, 08:56 PM
Noob with Issues
Joined Jul 2011
1,048 Posts
This is the motor I chose. However the motors state that they are only for 3 cell. I feel there will be enough power however I'll know better by this weekend!!