HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 14, 2012, 11:14 AM
Team Mulikow 3D
Oxfordshire, UK
Joined Jan 2007
4,118 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kauaiguy View Post
Left is still on your left and the elevator can be in front or behind the swash.It will correct for everything as you set it up.
Steve
Thanks - I changed the post as I was having difficulty getting the question worded correctly and decided to try it and see That helps a lot though
MikeHRC is offline Find More Posts by MikeHRC
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 14, 2012, 12:09 PM
Kauai
Joined Jan 2011
4,070 Posts
Let me know what you think of it once you get in the air.The default settings are working good for me so far.Havent felt the need to change them.I think this gyro likes Mks 95 or clone servos to work best(that's what there using in there videos)I'm using the kst215 at 7v.Curious as to what others are using?I wouldn't switch alieron and pitch from the diagram, I think it has to follow the aili on left , pitch on right or your piro optimization and other things might not be right?
Steve
Kauaiguy is offline Find More Posts by Kauaiguy
Last edited by Kauaiguy; Jul 14, 2012 at 01:26 PM.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 03:27 PM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Nov 2010
2,343 Posts
Currently I am using Solar D650 servos on the swash plate. I am a bit surprised its not flying that great for you BF. I feel this unit flies better than version 1. If it helps, I have the gains set to about 70%. Let me know if any of my setting would help.
ridge_racer is offline Find More Posts by ridge_racer
Old Jul 14, 2012, 04:53 PM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,911 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHRC View Post
OK, thanks. I've just been watching the set-up videos and the set-up software looks very good
The software is very good and I'm glad you don't have to set a piro optimization direction, like in the ZYX.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHRC View Post
I was going to put this on my Protos, but I'm slightly nervous from a couple of BF's comments, so I will put it on my old Copterx 450 that used to have a Beastx on it, and is almost identical to a Clone 450 that currently has a 3X1000 on it - it will be interesting to compare
I'm sorry if I made you nervous. I should point out that I haven't seen the blue light blink off since setting up the gyro on the heli and I had no strange happenings in flight, and I flew 5 packs. I only saw it once during the bench test and once not long after powering up the gyro on the heli. Cyclic was set to analog during both these times and is now set to digital 250Hz.
beenflying is offline Find More Posts by beenflying
Old Jul 14, 2012, 05:08 PM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,911 Posts
Please understand the gyro is flying very well now, as you could see in the test flight. It just flies a bit different to the ZYX and BeastX. It doesn't feel quite as smooth and I find myself getting into my down wash more often for some reason, like there's a pitch delay, or some sort of pitch boost that isn't quite right, or it could be I'm just not used to it.

There was also a strange wind yesterday, that was dead calm one minute and then would gust for a few seconds and then back to calm again.

I'm going to fly my 450 Sport with the CX ZYX, when the weather clears, and see how this compares to the 450 Pro 3GY. They used to fly virtually the same.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 05:27 PM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,911 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kauaiguy View Post
Hey Beenying, just curious as to what servos your running during your test?I no the Robird team has been using the Kst 215's and they work great just wondering if servo speed and resolution has a part in your results.one more question, what's your vibra log look like, are you able to keep the numbers below 200?
Steve
I'm using Align DS410M's on cyclic and a DS520 on the tail. The one time I looked at the log the levels looked okay. Head speed was just under 3000 in idle up 1 and around 3300 idle 2.

I just read the attached vib log out of the gyro. What does the "Main:221" mean. Does this mean it's seen a peak of this level.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 07:28 PM
Joined Nov 2010
2,343 Posts
BF....that is what I interpret it to mean...That is pretty low for the main rotor..I have had random spikes up to 1200 and haven't had any twitchy servos. I really need to replace the main shaft bearings however to get rid of this I suspect.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 07:40 PM
Joined Nov 2010
2,343 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenflying View Post
Please understand the gyro is flying very well now, as you could see in the test flight. It just flies a bit different to the ZYX and BeastX. It doesn't feel quite as smooth and I find myself getting into my down wash more often for some reason, like there's a pitch delay, or some sort of pitch boost that isn't quite right, or it could be I'm just not used to it.

There was also a strange wind yesterday, that was dead calm one minute and then would gust for a few seconds and then back to calm again.

I'm going to fly my 450 Sport with the CX ZYX, when the weather clears, and see how this compares to the 450 Pro 3GY. They used to fly virtually the same.
Collective is a little slower than compared to the HB800 but I found the 3GYS and 3x1000 to be slower on collective. Also I don't have the tendency of the heli pitching nose up after an aileron roll like the older units. Did the Tarot firmware correct this?

Have you experience the problem I had during set up were you set +/-12 deg collective but after you left the setup menu you really on had +/-11.5 deg collective?
Old Jul 14, 2012, 07:53 PM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,911 Posts
Thanks. I guess it will put a tail value in there as well, if this gets over some preset value.

This heli has always been very smooth. It does however have a funny noise coming from one of the TT bevel gears or bearings.

The blades I have on this heli are the same ones I was flying with the 3GY, but they are FB blades and much lighter than my FBL blades. I might try a set of FBL blades and see how it flies. I have a set of Edge FBL blades I've been meaning to try. I was put off using them because they require spacers on the Trex 450.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 08:06 PM
Texas NewB
United States, MD, Princess Anne
Joined Dec 2011
915 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenflying View Post
This is my rule for Trex FBL cyclic and tail arm lengths:
250 cyclic ~10.5mm - tail ~5mm
450 cyclic ~12.5mm - tail ~8mm
500 cyclic ~18mm - tail ~10mm
550 cyclic ~21mm - tail ~13mm

Note, some heads have different length blade arms, which can require these lengths to be altered.
You missed one for the 600 or do I just copy the 550?
Black_heart is online now Find More Posts by Black_heart
Old Jul 14, 2012, 08:19 PM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,911 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridge_racer View Post
Collective is a little slower than compared to the HB800 but I found the 3GYS and 3x1000 to be slower on collective. Also I don't have the tendency of the heli pitching nose up after an aileron roll like the older units. Did the Tarot firmware correct this?

Have you experience the problem I had during set up were you set +/-12 deg collective but after you left the setup menu you really on had +/-11.5 deg collective?
No the ZYX update did not address that, but interesting that not all helis with the ZYX do it. So I want to investigate this more, when I get time.

Interesting about the collective difference. I was going to try increasing the collective to see if it helped with the collective issue I'm experiencing. If what you say is the same on my heli, this could explain a lot. I'll check it and report back.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 08:24 PM
Joined Nov 2010
2,343 Posts
Try setting it for 12.5 - 12.8 deg collective. Then when you exit it will be 12 degs.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 08:50 PM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,911 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridge_racer View Post
Strangely I'm not seeing this, but I have upped the collective to 12.5 degrees anyway. Now if only it would stop raining.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 08:57 PM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,911 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_heart View Post
You missed one for the 600 or do I just copy the 550?
I haven't investigated the 600 much. The 600ESP cyclic could be a little different because of the dual pushrods and cyclic control arms, but the tail should be the same as the 550. The 600 Pro would most likely be the same for cyclic and the tail.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 10:13 PM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,911 Posts
That's a worry! All the videos with Gavin Broadbent being interviewed and flying the robird G31 have now been made private. I hope the relationship still exists. I'm sure the feedback from someone like Gavin could have made huge improvements to this gyro.