PROBLEM S800 (0 min 20 sec)
jdm66 is offline Find More Posts by jdm66
Old Jul 01, 2012, 04:25 PM
Canada, QC, Laval
Joined Apr 2008
1,208 Posts
S-800 arm replacement

Hi all I had a little accident today.
My 800 slid across the lawn and tipped over breaking one arm.
Any idea if parts are available for sale?
I checked the DJI site but I see nothing there.
Also my dealers site don't show any parts for the 800.

Thanks
bcollydas is offline Find More Posts by bcollydas
Old Jul 01, 2012, 05:09 PM
Canada, QC, Laval
Joined Apr 2008
1,208 Posts
After I replace the arm I'll be putting her up for sale. (Frame only)
She only had 2 flights.
Stay tuned for the sale annoucement.

Cheers
Old Jul 01, 2012, 05:11 PM
Artic jetflyer
Stabekk, Norway
Joined Sep 2004
278 Posts
Do you know about the product bulletin/ S800 recall?

Quote:
June 30, 2012

DJI S800 Product Bulletin

Dear Valued DJI Innovations customers:

DJI Innovations has determined that the Electronic Speed Controllers in certain S800 Hexacopters manufactured between May 2012 and June 28 2012 could have higher than expected temperature affecting an unknown number of units. Your confidence in our products is paramount; DJI Innovations is conducting a voluntary program to replace those parts free of charge.

Please email your order details to s800@dji-innovations.com to see if this bulletin applies; we will then issue an RMA number and instructions to send in your parts for repair.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause, but rest assured we will always do everything in our power to insure your safety and satisfaction.
sap_2000 is offline Find More Posts by sap_2000
Old Jul 01, 2012, 05:21 PM
Canada, QC, Laval
Joined Apr 2008
1,208 Posts
yes I do and I sent my info to them.
Still I have to replace the arm and I'm sure is not cheap.

Cheers
Old Jul 01, 2012, 05:26 PM
Artic jetflyer
Stabekk, Norway
Joined Sep 2004
278 Posts
This was posted in the S800 crash thread yesterday:

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAVProducts View Post
Props = $29
Motor = $143
Arm $48
Esc = $40
Complete assembled arm = $260

I plan on changing/updating website over the holiday break.
If any guru web designers with shopping cart experience are interested, email me and we can work out a deal etc... I'm very generous.
Old Jul 02, 2012, 05:49 AM
France, Pyrénées Orientales
Joined Feb 2009
423 Posts
Hi

after S800 and all frustrations, I need to beef up my arms

Gamera II HPH World Record Flight: 50 seconds (1 min 41 sec)

jdm66
jdm66 is offline Find More Posts by jdm66
Old Jul 02, 2012, 04:52 PM
United States, CA, Anaheim
Joined Dec 2011
402 Posts
Contact Robert at UAVProducts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcollydas View Post
yes I do and I sent my info to them.
Still I have to replace the arm and I'm sure is not cheap.

Cheers
shdwkeeper is offline Find More Posts by shdwkeeper
Old Jul 02, 2012, 05:08 PM
Artic jetflyer
Stabekk, Norway
Joined Sep 2004
278 Posts
Anyone gotten a reply from DJI yet?
I sent a mail with the required info 2 days ago, but no answer exept for an automated message in Chinese
Old Jul 02, 2012, 06:19 PM
Australia, Lord Howe Island
Joined Jan 2010
997 Posts
Yes I got one late last night, saying they would be in touch soon. Someone called Benjamin is organising the returns. I have been issued with an rma number. I hope this is sorted quickly...
jetbootz is online now Find More Posts by jetbootz
Old Jul 03, 2012, 03:03 AM
United States, CA, Anaheim
Joined Dec 2011
402 Posts
New information from DJI on fixing some esc related issues. See fIrst post with attachments
shdwkeeper is offline Find More Posts by shdwkeeper
Old Jul 03, 2012, 06:18 AM
Artic jetflyer
Stabekk, Norway
Joined Sep 2004
278 Posts
I am quoting the first post so more people will read it.

Now it looks like there are 3 options.
About option 1, I would not be comfertable soldering away the 6 resistors and replacing them with a jumper.
Not because of the job itself, as it's pretty easy to do, but IF I was to have a failure later, I don't want to risk being blamed for the crash by someone raising doubts about the soldering job.

Also, I don't want a quick and cheap (for DJI) backyard fix. I guess there was a reason for the 6 resistor being put in the ESC's in the first place.
Can someone more knowledgeable about electronics than me explain what these resistors do in the ESC, and what changes once they are removed?
I do know resistors generate heat and reduces the voltage. Is this just an easy fix to reduce the heat and therefore the failures of overheating ESC's?

I want a ESC that is designed for the job that does not require dodgy fixes.
Thats my standpoint.

Also. What about the soft arms and the vibrations they cause?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shdwkeeper View Post
UPDATE

July 3rd, 2012

Option 1: End users can fix ESC solder jump wires to the six resistors per instruction sheet.(Instruction as attached.)

Option 2: Take out the ESC and send to dealer for ESC replacement.(we will assign dealer to help)

Option 3: Sending the whole arms to dealers designated by DJI, dealer will fix ESC and return.

See PDF Attachments

DJI S800 Product Bulletin

Dear Valued DJI Innovations customers:

DJI Innovations has determined that the Electronic Speed Controllers in certain S800 Hexacopters manufactured between May 2012 and June 28 2012 could have higher than expected temperature affecting an unknown number of units. Your confidence in our products is paramount; DJI Innovations is conducting a voluntary program to replace those parts free of charge.

Please email your order details to s800@dji-innovations.com to see if this bulletin applies; we will then issue an RMA number and instructions to send in your parts for repair.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause, but rest assured we will always do everything in our power to insure your safety and satisfaction.

Next Steps -

1) Email DJI at s800@dji-innovations.com to get an RMA number.
2) Once RMA Number is obtained contact your Authorized DJI Distributor for the return procedure.

Here is a list of DJI Distributors to contact once you have an RMA Number (please let me know who else I should add to this list)

Old Jul 03, 2012, 06:47 AM
Australia, Lord Howe Island
Joined Jan 2010
997 Posts
+1

I am comfortable removing 6 resistors in terms of performing the actual task, but as you stated I'd like to know what it is I'm actually doing and what they were supposed to do in the first place.

BUT more worrying is the wobbly bendy flexy soft arms. What is the fix for them ?

What kind of warranty are we getting if we attack our unit with a soldering iron?

I think I'm going to buy a frame from an established frame manufacturer. My confidence in the s800 is just about zero. It's a real shame 'cause it sure does look cool.......
jetbootz is online now Find More Posts by jetbootz
Old Jul 03, 2012, 06:56 AM
Artic jetflyer
Stabekk, Norway
Joined Sep 2004
278 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetbootz View Post
+1

I am comfortable removing 6 resistors in terms of performing the actual task, but as you stated I'd like to know what it is I'm actually doing and what they were supposed to do in the first place.
Yes. We need to know that. Hopefully someone knowledgable will explain the purpose soon.

Quote:
BUT more worrying is the wobbly bendy flexy soft arms. What is the fix for them ?
+1

Quote:
What kind of warranty are we getting if we attack our unit with a soldering iron?
That needs to be clarified!

Quote:
I think I'm going to buy a frame from an established frame manufacturer. My confidence in the s800 is just about zero. It's a real shame 'cause it sure does look cool.......
Same for me.
What DJI SHOULD DO imo. is to issue a recall and send their customers a shipping note using their DHL/ UPS account etc. and replace the ESC's/ arms quicly and free of cost for the customers whu has invested a lot of money in their faulty designed product.