HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 03, 2012, 05:09 PM
Deutschland, RP, Mainz
Joined Jan 2009
63 Posts
Contest
FunBuild 5 Vought V-173 Flying Flapjack

Hi there,

I was reading in this forum for some time now and liked the idea of these funbuild contests. When I read about FB5 I was unsure about a nice subject. First I thought of building a Noratlas but then I changed my mind towards the Vought V-173. I especially like the more unusual planes like Nurfluegel or lifting bodies but its sometimes hard to get them flying well

I found a plan for a peanut scale model on this french site http://peanut.scale.free.fr/p-v173.htm and did some searches on this forum as well. Additionally there is this site from Vought Aircraft about the original prototype http://www.voughtaircraft.com/herita...tml/v-173.html.

In the moment I'm thinking about the size of the model and the material I want to use. I mainly used Depron in my last builds since its cheap and simple to use but I also like the stick and tissue building style. I think it would fit this plane better because the original was build from wood and canvas. I'm aiming at a wingspan of about 22 inches. That would already give quite a large wing area.

That much for now,
Ronald
Ronald L is online now Find More Posts by Ronald L
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 03, 2012, 05:41 PM
Balsa Lover
Vienna, Austria
Joined Jul 2010
822 Posts
Definitely a quite unusual subject! I'll be watching this build.
gupi is offline Find More Posts by gupi
Old Jan 03, 2012, 05:46 PM
Dog is my co-pilot.
United States, GA, Brooks
Joined Mar 2005
877 Posts
This is going to be a project to watch!

DJM
mrdj is offline Find More Posts by mrdj
Old Jan 03, 2012, 06:00 PM
The "pro" in procrastination
Canada, ON, Kingston
Joined Mar 2004
2,752 Posts
Ronald,

Welcome to RC Groups! That's a great subject, and one that should prove fun and challenging (to watch, at least! ) I'm subscribed.

If you haven't already done so, you should send John Frost (jofrost) a PM to enter the FB.

Steve
Steve85 is offline Find More Posts by Steve85
Old Jan 04, 2012, 05:09 AM
It flew once before...
Northwood , New Hampshire
Joined Jul 2004
3,865 Posts
Roland,

Welcome to RC Groups and Welcome to this years Funbuild . Very cool subject here

-John
jofrost is offline Find More Posts by jofrost
Old Jan 07, 2012, 05:09 PM
Deutschland, RP, Mainz
Joined Jan 2009
63 Posts
It's not too simple to construct and build the V-173 since it has this unusual shape and not too many straight lines. The 3D sketch I attached shows the basic structure of the thing. The wing will be sheeted up to the first spar. I actually plan on building the upper shell on a flat desk. When it's finished I will add the lower half. That way I don't need a jig.

I'm not yet sure on how to do the outermost area including the engine mount. The ailerons will be all-flying (hope that's the right term?) and also here I'm not set on how to mount them. I'm afraid they might be a weak point in landings and during transportation.

I also started to draw ribs and spars in a 2D CAD. The wing profile is a simple NACA0015 that can be found on the web easily and should work on a model, as well. The shape of the wing as viewed from above can be traced with two half ellipses.

Next time I will tell more about the power setup...

Ronald
Old Jan 07, 2012, 05:49 PM
Übung macht den Meister..
United States, OR, Fairview
Joined Jul 2006
3,019 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald L View Post
It's not too simple to construct and build the V-173 since it has this unusual shape and not too many straight lines. The 3D sketch I attached shows the basic structure of the thing. The wing will be sheeted up to the first spar. I actually plan on building the upper shell on a flat desk. When it's finished I will add the lower half. That way I don't need a jig.

I'm not yet sure on how to do the outermost area including the engine mount. The ailerons will be all-flying (hope that's the right term?) and also here I'm not set on how to mount them. I'm afraid they might be a weak point in landings and during transportation.

I also started to draw ribs and spars in a 2D CAD. The wing profile is a simple NACA0015 that can be found on the web easily and should work on a model, as well. The shape of the wing as viewed from above can be traced with two half ellipses.

Next time I will tell more about the power setup...

Ronald
Grüße, Ronald, und willkommen zu RCG!

My first thought about the "elevon" mounting would be to build them with a tube spar (aluminum or carbon fiber, perhaps) long enough to enter the fuselage to the inside of the two center ribs. Build into the fuselage two corresponding tubes into which the elevon tube spars fit, and attach control horns there. Use two servos mixed for elevon use, mounted in the center.

I realize twisting under load might be a problem, so you may need to keep the tube spars shorter, mounting the servos farther outboard. As well, I'd try to use the largest diameter tubes I could get away with.

My two pfennig...

James
Deuce is offline Find More Posts by Deuce
Old Jan 07, 2012, 06:11 PM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
It works!

http://www.trapletshop.com/product.aspx?c=2655

By Chris Golds, one of England's most prolific scale designer/builders.

D
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Jan 29, 2012, 07:40 PM
Designing something...
United States, CA, Cameron Park
Joined Jan 2004
1,692 Posts
Hello Ronald,

I build a V-173 a while back using the same plans as a guide. If I can help in any way just let me know.

Brian
cpdude is offline Find More Posts by cpdude
Old Mar 16, 2012, 03:11 PM
Deutschland, RP, Mainz
Joined Jan 2009
63 Posts
Ok, it's been a while now.

I placed my first order at hobbyking and due to some circumstances it only took about three months until I received the parts

In the meantime we even had a new baby born
It's a girl. We called her Mira, something to admire...

But back to topic: I ordered two Park300 1600kv, 12A Mystery escs, GWS 8x4 three blade props left and right rotating and 2s 1250mAh LiPos. Escs seem to be different, I hope that will not make a problem

The construction did not advance to far, but some basic structure and all the building material is there.

For the elevons I will go with Deuce's idea, thanks for that input!
Old Mar 16, 2012, 04:19 PM
Designing something...
Joined Jan 2004
1,692 Posts
Hello Ronald,

She is looking good! I too agree with Deuce's. I did my V-173 this why and it worked out well. Please keep us updated on you progress.

Brian
Old May 02, 2012, 02:49 PM
Deutschland, RP, Mainz
Joined Jan 2009
63 Posts
I found some time to go on with this build. The upper shell is more or less done as you can see from the pics. The planking worked quite well, I'm not very experienced with that. Weight is 105g now or 3.7 oz, if my scale is right. It's a bit more than I was hoping for.

I did the rudders as well, elevons and the lower half of the shell will follow soon.

I will have problems mounting the motors, since the cables stick out to the sides and are very stiff. Then also I'm not able to press out the axles to mount the motors on the back. Will have to find some way to get around this.

Ronald
Old May 04, 2012, 12:14 PM
Designing something...
Joined Jan 2004
1,692 Posts
Still looking good...do you have a link to the Park300 motors you planning to use?

Brian
Old May 04, 2012, 03:28 PM
Deutschland, RP, Mainz
Joined Jan 2009
63 Posts
Hi Brian,

this is the type of motors I got: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...er_1600kv.html

Here is another pic, I added the ribs and spars of the lower shell today and the tubes for the elevons.

Ronald
Old May 04, 2012, 04:31 PM
Designing something...
Joined Jan 2004
1,692 Posts
Ronald,

Those motors should provide plenty of power. I don't know if I mentioned before but mine was smaller and powered by a pair of self-wound cd-rom motors and a single ESC. It had plenty of power. The all-flying flippers provided plenty of control. It did have a strong tendency to nose over on landing.

Brian