SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 02, 2011, 02:44 PM
Droner
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, CPH
Joined Mar 2006
2,410 Posts
Turnigy/Hobbywing 6A old version with Atmega.

1'st photo courtesy of RCexplorer
SebastianJ is offline Find More Posts by SebastianJ
Last edited by SebastianJ; Oct 02, 2011 at 03:42 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 02, 2011, 03:44 PM
Droner
Joined Mar 2006
2,410 Posts
Turnigy/Hobbywing 25A
Old Oct 02, 2011, 08:27 PM
Nek
DIY O.G.
French Polynesia, Windward Islands, Faaa
Joined Nov 2002
313 Posts
Thanks bas10an, I updated the first post with those pictures!
Nek is offline Find More Posts by Nek
Old Oct 02, 2011, 08:35 PM
United States, AR, Jonesboro
Joined May 2011
394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bas10an View Post
Turnigy/Hobbywing 25A
Whoo buddy. If that's the bottom view, then I can flash my dynamic 25's. Haven't taken the shrink off yet, but the chips look exactly the same through it.
firepong is offline Find More Posts by firepong
Old Oct 02, 2011, 11:23 PM
Sudden Freak
Atlanta, GA
Joined Oct 2006
330 Posts
My preliminary tests show that current is now about 5-7% less, maybe even more, so that would probably add about a minute to a flight time, as Nek mentioned before.
So far I'm very happy with all the benefits and impovements, thanks again.
c2po is offline Find More Posts by c2po
Old Oct 03, 2011, 12:00 AM
USA, AK, Soldotna
Joined Jan 2005
562 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nek View Post
Pinball can you post a close up pic of your ESC, the side that has the Atmega8?
Didn't have much time tonight. This was taken through the shrink, if you want a better shot I should be able to tomorrow night.

The chip is a Mega8L. Is there something specific you want in focus?
pinball is offline Find More Posts by pinball
Old Oct 03, 2011, 12:15 AM
Nek
DIY O.G.
Joined Nov 2002
313 Posts
Well it looks like you have the 6 programming pads at the bottom, you will need to check the pin order direction. Just take a close look at the traces and you can probably figure out where ground and vcc are and guess the rest if you don't have a multimeter to check to what pin on the Atmega8 each pad connects to.

Good luck!
Old Oct 03, 2011, 12:17 AM
USA, AK, Soldotna
Joined Jan 2005
562 Posts
Yup, I'm an ET for a living so I think I can find a meter somewhere.

I just happen to have a pro mini 328 at work with me, and am tempted to program it up and try and flash these. In theory I should just have to tell avrdude the programmer type is 'arduino; right?

Thanks for all the help!
Old Oct 03, 2011, 12:19 AM
Nek
DIY O.G.
Joined Nov 2002
313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinball View Post
Yup, I'm an ET for a living so I think I can find a meter somewhere.

I just happen to have a pro mini 328 at work with me, and am tempted to program it up and try and flash these. In theory I should just have to tell avrdude the programmer type is 'arduino; right?

Thanks for all the help!
No worries, you can probably give this a shot: http://arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/ArduinoISP
Old Oct 03, 2011, 12:21 AM
USA, AK, Soldotna
Joined Jan 2005
562 Posts
Yup, thats what I was going to go by. I will report back if / when I try it out. So far it sounds like there aren't any downsides to it.
Old Oct 03, 2011, 12:49 AM
hacker
Canada, BC, North Vancouver
Joined Dec 2010
936 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bas10an View Post
Simon, consider doing a 200-1200ms (UltraPWM) version of the code and gain popularity with the Xaircraft users (poor guys).
Really, 200us-1200us? Just change MIN_RC_PULS to 100, MAX_RC_PULS to 1300, STOP_RC_PULS to 300ish, and it should just work. If you want no deadbands at each end, just adjust POWER_RANGE to 1000 to stretch it out; it's a fully-adjustable 16-bit range now.

I just pushed a newer version that corrects a few things and hopefully starts more smoothly with all motors at higher voltages. Most importantly, it lowers the duty cycle maximum based on timing even if no new pulse is received. This should prevent burning if the motor plants into the ground and the pulse wire or receiver breaks at the same time. Previously, it would have to wait ~1.5 seconds for the receive timeout to reset.

Also, it now runs the 8MHz boards at 16MHz by setting OSCCAL to 0xff (as far as I can tell, this is safe as long as we don't use the EEPROM without restoring it), so the same tree can now be used on boards with or without 16MHz oscillators without changing the code. From this, we also get the ability to support 800 PWM steps (or more at lower PWM cycle frequency).

timecop supplied a patch to restore I2C support, which I still need to merge. I'm wondering if there's a nice way to set the ID without having to make a new build for each controller. Has anybody seen any nice ways to do this?

As with all builds, please test carefully; I don't have a BlueSeries board to test with, and I just rewrote the PWM interrupt code again, so it may blow up, and YMMV.

Cheers!
simonk is offline Find More Posts by simonk
Old Oct 03, 2011, 12:53 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
11,764 Posts
You can do I2C by sticks maybe? power up with throttle high, beep, then beep X times for I2C address. Of course this is all only MK-specific ...
timecop is offline Find More Posts by timecop
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 03, 2011, 12:59 AM
Joined Sep 2011
324 Posts
this sounds like interesting change to make. I have to see if I can scrounge up for pogo pins to make a programming bit easier .
Centurion1 is offline Find More Posts by Centurion1
Old Oct 03, 2011, 01:11 AM
Sudden Freak
Atlanta, GA
Joined Oct 2006
330 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinball View Post
Didn't have much time tonight. This was taken through the shrink, if you want a better shot I should be able to tomorrow night.
The chip is a Mega8L. Is there something specific you want in focus?
Looks exactly like ESC that bas10an pictured in post #31 with pin-out.
c2po is offline Find More Posts by c2po
Old Oct 03, 2011, 03:41 AM
Droner
Joined Mar 2006
2,410 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonk View Post
Really, 200us-1200us? Just change MIN_RC_PULS to 100, MAX_RC_PULS to 1300, STOP_RC_PULS to 300ish, and it should just work. If you want no deadbands at each end, just adjust POWER_RANGE to 1000 to stretch it out; it's a fully-adjustable 16-bit range now.

I just pushed a newer version that corrects a few things and hopefully starts more smoothly with all motors at higher voltages. Most importantly, it lowers the duty cycle maximum based on timing even if no new pulse is received. This should prevent burning if the motor plants into the ground and the pulse wire or receiver breaks at the same time. Previously, it would have to wait ~1.5 seconds for the receive timeout to reset.

Also, it now runs the 8MHz boards at 16MHz by setting OSCCAL to 0xff (as far as I can tell, this is safe as long as we don't use the EEPROM without restoring it), so the same tree can now be used on boards with or without 16MHz oscillators without changing the code. From this, we also get the ability to support 800 PWM steps (or more at lower PWM cycle frequency).

timecop supplied a patch to restore I2C support, which I still need to merge. I'm wondering if there's a nice way to set the ID without having to make a new build for each controller. Has anybody seen any nice ways to do this?

As with all builds, please test carefully; I don't have a BlueSeries board to test with, and I just rewrote the PWM interrupt code again, so it may blow up, and YMMV.

Cheers!
Excellent work Simon,

I just presented this in the XA thread, perhaps someone are willing to try it and report back:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...ostcount=13025

I2C talk - Will this work with I2C without physical mods to the ESC?

And could this over time evolve into including a user interface like Castle creations?
Set I2C adresses, configure different ESC brands/versions, select PWM, switching freq, motor direction!! etc.?
I don't know squat about coding, but since this is already open source I'm sure that some of the clever guys out there would take this on in an instant.

This could be the next BIG thing in multirotors.

Keep up the good work gentlemen

Sebastian