SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 05, 2012, 10:49 PM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,159 Posts
Travel Air 4000 at Montrose Beach (5 min 42 sec)
warhead_71 is online now Find More Posts by warhead_71
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 06, 2012, 07:58 AM
Balsa Flies Better!
Stamford, CT
Joined Oct 2000
6,730 Posts
Wow- that flew wonderfully. Clearly- I was way off when I thought this airplane might need an AF 40G- the AF 25G on 4s would be plenty. What did you do to the landing gear- just the toe in? Looks like the ground handling was fine. Nice video too. Having just seen Red Tails- I really don't get why Hollyweird doesn't use models with these little video cams more-the illusion that you're in a full scale airplane is far better than the CGI.

Sam
Megowcoupe is online now Find More Posts by Megowcoupe
Old Feb 06, 2012, 09:29 AM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,159 Posts
For the ground-handling, I just reversed the landing gear... this brought the wheels back abut 1.5" and there is no toe-in needed. The motor is .40-size... but running it on 3S I'm not wringing very much from it. To be fair -- though she flew wonderfully in a dead calm -- on a windy day I'd have to fly WOT to keep in the air on the down-wind leg. I'm only pulling 30A WOT on 3S for about 330W... and the motor is capable of twice that. So I could go 4S or even 5S, or just prop-up (mind the prop clearance) if I want to get more out of it. I might just add some pitch-speed and try a 14x8.5... just so I can keep up with a headwind.

But overall, she flies as gentle as a Tigermoth, lands like a Slow-stick, and handles the wind like a big plane should. I didn't get it on video, but later that day I did some loops and rolls and she handled them very well... though she tended to fall out of loops if I went too big with them. Need a bit more speed for those.
Old Feb 09, 2012, 10:52 AM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,159 Posts
Got a few more flights in yesterday evening. Even in a bit of wind she handles beautifully... she's quite steady even with a gusty cross-wind. I think I definitely could trade off some thrust for some speed to handle the headwinds... so I'll try a 13x8 instead of the 14x7. Or I might just borrow a 4S Lipo and see how that works (I only have 3S). Everything comes down cool as you might expect... I am way below the max amps on all the components... (and it's winter in Chicago).

Sam, when you are ready to build yours, I think you can build it exactly to plan without any "lightening" and she'll do just fine even with the extra weight. But, it certainly doesn't hurt to rebuild the empennage with sticks and hog-out the ply sides of the fuselage... making the tail lighter isn't sacrificing strength. I have about 2 degrees of down-thrust (some of it is built-in to the firewall) and 1 degree of right-thrust. It took me about 4 clicks of right-aileron to fly level... perhaps I have a small twist in the wing and I can add a washer to the N-struts. Stalls are dead-ahead and gentle, and she recovers quickly from something as severe as a hammerhead stall. Rudder is very effective and I can actually rudder-steer the plane easily through a figure-8.... the bottom wing dihedral seems to do a good job keeping the plane level. I balanced my plane at the forward CG mark on the plans... I actually screwed/epoxied an eye-bolt into the top of the wing at the balance point -- that's how I hang my planes from the rafters and then it doubles as a way to check the balance. Dead-stick landings are a breeze... with a little bit of nose-down she will slowly glide all the way in. Using a wing-load calculator it says my stall speed should be 15mph and that's about what it feels like... she just mashes down nicely into a 3-point landing every time. Again, I think the bottom-wing dihedral is what let's her settle in so nicely.

Just an awesome-flying plane. Ridiculously low wing-loading (10-oz/sf) makes for a relaxing lazy plane that is also capable of mild acrobatics even with my under-powered setup (30A at WOT, 10A at cruise). With 2x 2200mah Lipos in parallel I can get over 20-minute endurance flights (just slow, level flight at half-throttle). I'm getting over 15-minute flights with mild acrobatics, touch-n-goes, etc (never over 3/4 throttle). Even doing loops and rolls and quick climb-outs I'm getting around 10-minute flights (occasional WOT).
Old Feb 12, 2012, 07:56 PM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,159 Posts
Here are a few pics that Ashdec took last week. I forgot to mention that after my maiden flight I handed the controls over to him and he took it for a few minutes, so some of the video footage is him flying the plane.
Last edited by warhead_71; Feb 12, 2012 at 08:11 PM.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 11:45 PM
You sabotaged my plane.
Arizona
Joined Jun 2002
2,803 Posts
Very nice. Thanks for taking the time to post all the great photos.
Jim
eliworm is offline Find More Posts by eliworm
Old Feb 14, 2012, 10:07 AM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,159 Posts
Oops!!!! I just realized the math is off for my AUW. It's 74oz, not 58oz AUW -- seems I forgot to add the batteries, plus now the weight of the dummy pilots and other little details.

So that's about the exact same weight as the Eflite Stearman, but with a lot more wing area (PT17 = 608sqin, TA = 836sqin). A .25-size motor on 3S should suffice for scale flight. A .32-size motor on 4S would probably go vertical.

Wing loading is now 12.75oz/sf, not 10oz/sf.

Cubic loading is 5.29oz/cu.ft -- which is still at the low end of "sail plane/park flyer" category.

Stall speed is 16mph, not 15mph.

Sorry for the misleading info... I'll go back and edit it in the previous posts.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 10:50 AM
Brighto?
United States, DE, Newark
Joined Dec 2003
678 Posts
I wonder how many airplanes landed on that beach dropping off a few cases of Canada's best back in the day? Very nice job.
Mike Denest is offline Find More Posts by Mike Denest
Old Feb 19, 2012, 07:22 PM
Canada's East Coast, "An Ocean Playground"
Joined Apr 2002
4,188 Posts
In your image 6698 above..(3rd last) is the landing gear still on backwards..?
It actually looks fine....but I'm curious if it was turned around again..

I was attracted to this thread after seeing you "hog out" the fuselage. Back in the 80's I bought, and still have, the concept models Kraft Super-Fli, a model of Phil Kraft's full scale plane..which itself was nothing more than a scaled up model..! So after 30 old years I would like to finish the build and make it electric-powered. It was constructed identical to your Travelaire, lite ply sides with stringers. Solid tailfeathers..everywhere you look, there is weight. Did you keep track of how much weight you removed from the fuselage..?

Appreciate your pics and glad it worked out so well for you...now don't break it before the young ones can grow to appreciate it..!

cheers,
Bill
retiredVTT is offline Find More Posts by retiredVTT
Old Feb 19, 2012, 08:32 PM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,159 Posts
Yep - the landing gear is backwards in all the photos. The X-brace is supposed to be on the front legs but I have it turned around so now the X-brace is towards the back.

I dropped about 8oz from the airframe after hogging out the fuselage. That doesn't seem like much weight, but it is almost all weight behind the CG... so every ounce that I remove from the tail eliminates about 4oz of counterbalance needed in the nose. Add it all up and that's like 40oz total... which is considerable. I also used pull-pull on the rudder.

When you get ready to work on yours, please post a link to your build-log... I'd love to see it.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 11:14 AM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
12,058 Posts
Very nice work, the chief with headress looks OK to me, I have the motorcycle. I have an old Concept .40 size "Barnstormer" kit in the shed ( Fleet bipe) waiting it's turn. I like the oversized cowl ring and fin/rudder look of this design. Should fly like a dream. Callie does great work and quickly.
E-Challenged is online now Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Old Feb 24, 2012, 11:29 AM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,159 Posts
I had a chance to pick up one of those for $75 locally off Craigslist but didn't get to it quick enough. Looks like a much lighter build from the start with a completely stick-built fuselage instead of the lite-ply slabs. I think it will make for an easy conversion... and I've heard it flies great.
Old Apr 03, 2012, 07:09 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2 Posts
My Grandfather's Travel Air!

I must scan my Grandfather's Travel Air, from mid-1920's to 1930. I'll get back!
BReidSch is offline Find More Posts by BReidSch
Old Apr 03, 2012, 08:11 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2 Posts
My Barnstomer Grandpe's plane!

Found the only picture I have of my Grandfather's plane, found his son's, my Dad's P2v Lockheed, and here's the picture of my Grandfather's plane:Name: Grandpa.jpg
Views: 53
Size: 161.1 KB
Description:
BReidSch is offline Find More Posts by BReidSch
Old Apr 04, 2012, 12:05 AM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,159 Posts
Very cool