HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 15, 2013, 10:30 PM
Va.Beach VA.
Joined Aug 2007
2,147 Posts
Ok, Mr. D has more pictures up for the time being.

To tell you the truth, I have thought about that feather concept. I could be wrong, but what it looks like is carbon fiber for the shaft of the feathers and epp for the features barbs. As long the feathers overlap correctly and allow the feather tip to kinda whip that the end (perhaps) or taper. The pictures looks promising!
G-LO is offline Find More Posts by G-LO
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 15, 2013, 11:38 PM
United States, CO, Caņon City
Joined Jun 2004
143 Posts
I think many of us have thought about doing artificial feathers at one time or another and for one reason or another never did follow through. The angles are very important along with other factors such as materials, flexing, and overlap. Not an easy proposition when adding in all the other variables when making an ornithopter especially when you throw in a variable geometry wing and what not into the mix.

We have also found that you need to treat the wings as though they are a flying wing when doing the geometry of the wing. This is not a new idea nor unique in the application. When I post more photos in a week or so from now I will try to show what I am talking about in regards to how we did it.

Anywise, still have to finish up the multitude of moulds and pull the first pre-production batch from them. There are still a lot of bulkhead moulds and other small parts to make up. Then there is all the 3D printed parts too that have to be made...A few more weeks of all that and get the assembly steps all worked out before checking how the reworked pre-production models fly.....THEN and finally then we will be able to begin full on production of this model. So yeah, just thinking about it makes me feel that much more exhausted. Have come a long way but still have a long way to go.

Will keep the interested parties up to date when I can leading up to the deadline.
dergheist is offline Find More Posts by dergheist
Old Jul 16, 2013, 12:59 AM
Ft Lauderdale, FL.
Joined Jan 2007
2,243 Posts
Pictures look Pretty cool man...
Very ambitious original looking design..
That is what we need..
Petey...
Machy2k is online now Find More Posts by Machy2k
Old Jul 16, 2013, 04:06 AM
United States, CO, Caņon City
Joined Jun 2004
143 Posts
Thanks, I know there is well over 400 parts in these birds and when all said and done I might just find the time to count just how many.

We have not had much air time these past few weeks as we are finally getting rain here. Love the moisture and we desperately need it, but at the same time it puts a little damper on the party. Of course, the turkey vultures come out to play right after a storm and around here that means swarms of fifty plus playing along the ridges. I have not had the guts to take our sole turkey vulture prototype up with them in those winds, but maybe when the testing on that model is further along and we have moulds for it I will take one of them up and see how well it handles with them. They sure are a sight and everytime I see them I long to be up with them again...even if it is just with a model.

Take care, folks and I will post some different photos on the webpage again soon.
dergheist is offline Find More Posts by dergheist
Old Aug 27, 2013, 10:26 PM
australia
Joined Apr 2007
2,160 Posts
Is there any update regards Brian
therealthing691 is offline Find More Posts by therealthing691
Old Sep 09, 2013, 07:21 AM
Ft Lauderdale, FL.
Joined Jan 2007
2,243 Posts
Hi Dhergeist; how is it coming along?
Machy2k is online now Find More Posts by Machy2k
Old Sep 09, 2013, 10:01 AM
Va.Beach VA.
Joined Aug 2007
2,147 Posts
Ok, I have been thinking about the individual carbon fiber/ foam feather technique and.....-Don't Get mad Mr.D- but, respectively speaking, I don't think that's going to work . I'm kinda skeptical. I can't explain why. I guess fiddling with Ornithopters for some time made me come to that conclusion. I could DEFINITELY be absolutely WRONG! So again, please don't get offended....I'm just saying . I guess we will find out soon, because fall is right down the street...I can't wait to see!
Old Sep 09, 2013, 11:17 PM
australia
Joined Apr 2007
2,160 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-LO View Post
Ok, I have been thinking about the individual carbon fiber/ foam feather technique and.....-Don't Get mad Mr.D- but, respectively speaking, I don't think that's going to work . I'm kinda skeptical. I can't explain why. I guess fiddling with Ornithopters for some time made me come to that conclusion. I could DEFINITELY be absolutely WRONG! So again, please don't get offended....I'm just saying . I guess we will find out soon, because fall is right down the street...I can't wait to see!
I am skeptical as well but hey i would love to see another Ornithopter on the market lets wait and see Regards Brian
therealthing691 is offline Find More Posts by therealthing691
Old Sep 10, 2013, 11:01 AM
Joined Nov 2009
124 Posts
Hello everyone,
Looking at trying my hand at flying flapping birds (Ornis). Where would I find a good one to get started and is there any out there like the Festo Smartbird?
Really looking forward to branch out and fly something else than RC planes.
Thanks
Dave
orthotech is offline Find More Posts by orthotech
Old Sep 10, 2013, 12:28 PM
Joined Sep 2003
334 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by orthotech View Post
Hello everyone,
Looking at trying my hand at flying flapping birds (Ornis). Where would I find a good one to get started and is there any out there like the Festo Smartbird?
Really looking forward to branch out and fly something else than RC planes.
Thanks
Dave
Hello Dave,

http://jisaku-pc.net/blog/?p=757
自作・羽ばたき機を飛ばしたらトンビが集まってきた (5 min 53 sec)

TB30 Ornithopter Glide test 羽ばたき飛行機 (2 min 51 sec)

Lots of others.
Check out their homepages.
Spend some time following links to get close up building details if you can't buy one.

Right click to translate with Bing where needed.
George
Plantoflap is offline Find More Posts by Plantoflap
Old Sep 10, 2013, 11:38 PM
Va.Beach VA.
Joined Aug 2007
2,147 Posts
Is Mr.Hashimoto selling the festo/ look a like orni?
Old Sep 11, 2013, 10:09 AM
Joined Nov 2009
124 Posts
Hi George,
When you say others, what are the websites?
I've seen alot of vids but hardly any that are selling?
Is there a reputable site to buy?
Dave
orthotech is offline Find More Posts by orthotech
Old Sep 11, 2013, 01:50 PM
Joined Sep 2003
334 Posts
At this point the best flying Ornithopters are designed and built by modelers. The above video links show a few of them and how well they fly and glide. If you like what you see ask the designers to build one for you or else design your own.
I you want to buy a Kincade type, try ebay or carbonsail.com
Plantoflap is offline Find More Posts by Plantoflap
Old Sep 11, 2013, 11:12 PM
DIY Mania from Taiwan
Taiwan
Joined Aug 2011
1,987 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-LO View Post
Is Mr.Hashimoto selling the festo/ look a like orni?
they don't sell Festo/look one,but they do sell 3D printing orni kits through Shapeway.
regards
Sam
samwei1950 is offline Find More Posts by samwei1950
Old Sep 11, 2013, 11:24 PM
Va.Beach VA.
Joined Aug 2007
2,147 Posts
They do?! Can you find it for me?

Thanks Sam