HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 14, 2013, 03:56 PM
Joined Feb 2013
18 Posts
Any advice on keeping the pinion gear from spinning itself loose?

I tightened it with a good quality hex driver twice now and it still comes loose.

I don't want to do something permeate obviously..never had this issue before..

Edit: five times now..ugh.
Conundrum4000 is offline Find More Posts by Conundrum4000
Last edited by Conundrum4000; Feb 14, 2013 at 04:21 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 14, 2013, 05:16 PM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,926 Posts
A little loc-tite on the sset screw? Are you sure the pinion fits well on the axle and has the same pitch as the spur?
SoloProFan is offline Find More Posts by SoloProFan
Old Feb 14, 2013, 06:58 PM
Joined Feb 2013
18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloProFan View Post
A little loc-tite on the sset screw? Are you sure the pinion fits well on the axle and has the same pitch as the spur?
Yeah.. I literally bought the pinion from my LHS last week, and ran it a few times on the old motor before placing it on my new one. It slipped once on the old motor, but once tightened down again it ran fine.

I will pick up some loc-tite tomorrow and give it a shot.

Thanks
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:21 AM
Hackettstown, New Jersey
Joined Feb 2008
737 Posts
definately loctite.. I use the blue medium strength.. A little drop on the threads and it stays on. To remove just use the tip of a soldering iron for a couple of seconds and the adhesive lets go.. A must have in any r/c toolbox!
cenracer1 is offline Find More Posts by cenracer1
Old Feb 16, 2013, 12:12 PM
Joined Feb 2013
18 Posts
Loc-tite did the trick for the pinion, but alas, attempt #2 failed due to the tires spinning off of the rims.
Either I didn't glue it well, or the five years in storage weakened the glue.

Hopefully tomorrow will be a good run!

After talking to the guys at my LHS, I'm definitely thinking of getting into offroad trucks; seems those are what most people run down here, and there are lots of offroad clay / dirt tracks, and no onroad tracks.
I don't know how I feel about going from a 4wd car to 2wd truck or buggy, though. Gotta think about it. I am also considering getting into airplanes instead.
Last edited by Conundrum4000; Feb 16, 2013 at 12:25 PM.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 02:25 PM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,926 Posts
2WD buggies are fun. I recently bought one to accompany my 4WD buggies and didn't regret it.
SoloProFan is offline Find More Posts by SoloProFan
Old Feb 16, 2013, 02:30 PM
Hackettstown, New Jersey
Joined Feb 2008
737 Posts
I run just about everything from 4wd nitro touring cars, electric touring cars, 2wd and 4wd electric trucks and monster trucks.. you never know what terrain you will be facing.. LOL when that fails, there's always the airplanes...
Old Feb 16, 2013, 03:21 PM
Joined Feb 2013
18 Posts
Ended up ripping the tires off again even after reglueing.. going to have to get some new ones.but overall the car is running great.
I got the ok from the wife to get an airplane, as well as a request to build her a car.

I have an old tl01 chassis here that just needs a body and a receiver so I'll have to see about fixing it up.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 08:13 AM
Kowalski !.....Options
USA, MI, Hastings
Joined Jan 2007
2,390 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conundrum4000 View Post
Ended up ripping the tires off again even after reglueing.. going to have to get some new ones.but overall the car is running great.
I got the ok from the wife to get an airplane, as well as a request to build her a car.

I have an old tl01 chassis here that just needs a body and a receiver so I'll have to see about fixing it up.
That sounds like a great idea post some pics. That won't be fair to the rest of us if you get your wife on-board with the whole R/C thing.
mredzadventure is offline Find More Posts by mredzadventure
Old Feb 17, 2013, 03:11 PM
Hackettstown, New Jersey
Joined Feb 2008
737 Posts
I've tried to get the wife into the cars,but she doesn't seem to want to. she will run occasionally, but not enough to warrant her own vehicle..I have enough cars fro her to run whenever she wants anyway. I did get my kids into it so the wife is OK with it that way.