HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 14, 2012, 10:40 PM
Plane Destroyer / Life Enjoyer
Miami, FL
Joined May 2009
3,507 Posts
Discussion
Fatshark Dominators Internal Head Tracking -- Is it good?

I have read some complaints that the Internal Head Tracking unit on the Dominators is not so good. Before I blow $100 on the tracker, futaba cable and pan tilt set up I would like to get some info.

Are there people out there who are using it successfully?

Some people say they glitch, fatshark says they shouldn't glitch and if they glitch then its a bad unit and should be returned.

Any thoughts?
airbagit13 is offline Find More Posts by airbagit13
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 15, 2012, 07:41 AM
FPV'r
Canada, ON, Carleton Place
Joined May 2011
1,192 Posts
too expensive...
you are better off to control pan/tilt via your Tx manually so you can still use the buddy channel with a buddy box. The head tracker plugs into the buddy box connector so you can not do both..
ror1 is offline Find More Posts by ror1
Old Aug 15, 2012, 08:05 AM
United States, TX, Tomball
Joined Jan 2011
697 Posts
I'm interested as well. Forget price and lack of buddy box compatibility how do they work?
imagebuff is offline Find More Posts by imagebuff
Old Aug 15, 2012, 08:50 AM
Joined Oct 2007
785 Posts
too expensive for whom?

For you perhaps so, for someone else perhaps not. That isn't the question asked here... Pan and tilt via knobs in the tx is not a comparable alternative and the comment regarding buddy box is both a generalisation (personally I can use both HT and buddy box for example) and not relevant to many guys who have no interest in using a buddy box in the first place.

As to the question, I can say my predator's HT sucked but so far the dominators seem more promising - need to test them outside to confirm but haven't had the chance yet.
rusty_y2k2 is offline Find More Posts by rusty_y2k2
Old Aug 15, 2012, 09:49 AM
LKJ
Lars k Jensen
Denmark, Central Denmark Region, Tostrup
Joined Apr 2006
619 Posts
I scraped 2 M:I:G. before i gave up, but this one beat them all, price do to.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1677559

Lars.
LKJ is offline Find More Posts by LKJ
Old Aug 15, 2012, 11:08 AM
United States, TX, Tomball
Joined Jan 2011
697 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ View Post
I scraped 2 M:I:G. before i gave up, but this one beat them all, price do to.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1677559

Lars.
Wow! This looks veeerrrry interesting. Unfortunately I am currently using the JR X9503 TX + dragonlink so getting a PPM channel inserted is a question mark for me.
imagebuff is offline Find More Posts by imagebuff
Old Aug 15, 2012, 05:43 PM
Ikaruswannab
Joined Sep 2009
972 Posts
Mine works just fine.
I only get drift when testing the HT by moving the Dominators by hand.
When worn on head is fine.
Keep in mind that you have to take the mechanical restriction of your Pan/Tilt system under consideration.
teopbako is offline Find More Posts by teopbako
Old Aug 17, 2012, 12:12 PM
Miami, FL
Joined May 2009
3,507 Posts
Thats good news Teopbako, I am going to go ahead and order it and see for myself.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 03:06 PM
USA, CA, Irvine
Joined Apr 2009
121 Posts
i'm using the head tracker from my predators in my set of dominators and it seems to work just fine but also worked fine in the predators......(i think they are the same unit and not a special unit just for the dominators)
LandoV2 is offline Find More Posts by LandoV2
Old Aug 17, 2012, 05:06 PM
Praying for better weather
Joined Dec 2007
4,174 Posts
My Dominator HT works randomly at best. Tried other trackers and it seems its the goggles that are effecting the HT`s. If I have any of the other HT`s ( Skyeye for example ) away from the Dominators they all work perfectly. As soon as they are close to the Doms they are useless. I put this down to magnetic interference from the goggles screwing them up
Coyote64 is online now Find More Posts by Coyote64
Old Aug 18, 2012, 02:45 AM
fly by night
Joined Sep 2011
5,655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ror1 View Post
too expensive...
you are better off to control pan/tilt via your Tx manually so you can still use the buddy channel with a buddy box. The head tracker plugs into the buddy box connector so you can not do both..
there really is no need for a buddy box link. But even if you are running buddy box for the 'test/training flight' at a MAAC field in Canada, that will only be for like a handful of early flights (or more likely one or none). Further, there is definitely no need to be running pan/tilt or head tracking during your maiden test/training flights either since it adds another layer of workload and difficult to manage. So just run your handcuffbox for the early flights, then give away the cable to someone who might need it and plug in your headtracker.

But nevertheless, I have run pan servo from the sticks, from a pot, and from my headtracker. The stick control is incongruous, the pot control is awkward while the headtracker kicks ass! and is also worth the cost
BCSaltchucker is offline Find More Posts by BCSaltchucker
Old Aug 20, 2012, 07:24 AM
Joined Oct 2007
785 Posts
I finally got to try the head tracking on my new dominators.

It works great, a complete different world to my predators. Need to test more extensively of course, but it seems they work exactly as I would hope.

My only problem now is the auto lock out feature kicks in a bit soon in my honest opinion.
rusty_y2k2 is offline Find More Posts by rusty_y2k2
Old Aug 21, 2012, 08:58 PM
Miami, FL
Joined May 2009
3,507 Posts
Meh, Coyote, I figured I'd try it out. Sticking it on a car not a plane so if it malfunctions i just stop and go find my plane.

We will see.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 11:14 PM
Live FPV or Die
Montreal,Canada
Joined Feb 2002
3,970 Posts
I use the old trackr1 and track r2. I`m very satisfy of them. I know how to do a good calibration before launch and it will drift only a little bit, if it drift. When I fly without the tracker, I really miss it. But it depend of your way of flying, if you intend to do slalom close to ground, headtracker is a must have.
VRflyer is offline Find More Posts by VRflyer
Old Aug 22, 2012, 12:14 AM
Miami, FL
Joined May 2009
3,507 Posts
Naaa I slalom left and right with my planes with no HT. Just watch some of my vids. Its all intuition. I wouldnt have even grabbed a HT if I wasnt building my ground rig. If it proves true I will stick it on one of my swift 2s just to mess around.