Old Apr 30, 2010, 01:38 PM
Friend is a 4 letter word...
3rd stone from the sun
Joined May 2007
2,671 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapteinkuk View Post
Thanks

I tried (not to hard tough) to make the board square, but then it got large unused spaces. If you want square board, just pull the board edges in eagle Also a redesign could be done, but I was thinking it was not too important to get it square.

Align it to your frame using the edges, not the corners.

I will take a look at the different board houses. Anybody got ideas? Someone was talking about Futurlec?
I know....just thought a square design would make more sense for a production PCB.

And I still think that gyros on a separate board makes sense - since there are other solutions than using HK401B. That would also make main board even smaller....

I am thinking that the three gyro boards could then sit nicely protected inside the housing from a HK401B...? They are anyway the most critical components to protect. The main control board could then eiher just be heatshrinked or placed inside a suitable housing....

Anyway, I am just throwing in ideas.....

Are you considering a production board for this one? How would you make the prototype board?

BTW...I did this today with tonertransfer and magazine paper - it took a few tries to get the writing to transfer good, but I am pretty pleased with the result. The writing is 0.15 mm thick!

I just realized I am out of 0.6 mm drill bits....off to buy some tomorrow..
JussiH is offline Find More Posts by JussiH
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 30, 2010, 01:49 PM
NW England
Joined Jul 2005
620 Posts
Thanks for checking my schematic KapteinKUK!

Finally played around with my layout until I was finally happy with it, so I had a go at the toner transfer technique at lunch!

http://myweb.cableone.net/wheedal/pcb.htm

On the second time I think I got it. One or two of the traces need repairing with a permanent marker but I'm pretty happy with it I'm just hoping the two sides are lined up, but only time will tell

Can't wait to etch it! Here's a very blurry (crappy iPhone) picture of my efforts.
ben123 is offline Find More Posts by ben123
Old Apr 30, 2010, 02:39 PM
Tri-Quad-Hexa-Octo-copters!!
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Feb 2007
14,589 Posts
board sizes

FYI the FCB hole patterns are the same for the Mikrokopter, the UAVX, the X-BL and the Walkera UFO #4 and #5. They are ~45mm center to center hole on the edge square. Folks that sell frames set them up that way. Not that you can't do your own thing and have it your way...
Cheers,
Jim
jesolins is offline Find More Posts by jesolins
Old Apr 30, 2010, 08:23 PM
3rd stone from the sun
Joined May 2007
2,671 Posts
Jim, thanks for that clarification. I thought it would be stupid not make board same size at the others. So I revised my 2-side TH design and added ISP-pads. It looks like this:
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by JussiH; Apr 30, 2010 at 08:28 PM.
Old Apr 30, 2010, 09:18 PM
Tri-Quad-Hexa-Octo-copters!!
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Feb 2007
14,589 Posts
420rc,
That looks very nice. I would suggest allowing a couple of mm more of pcb around the hole for strength. The hole sizes are 3mm.
Cheers,
Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by 420RcPilot View Post
Jim, thanks for that clarification. I thought it would be stupid not make board same size at the others. So I revised my 2-side TH design and added ISP-pads. It looks like this:
jesolins is offline Find More Posts by jesolins
Old Apr 30, 2010, 09:40 PM
VA
Joined Nov 2009
2,658 Posts
Well after testing three different types of gyros with the kaptein's design I am here to man up and eat my words. I have tried piezo, Invensense and ST mems gyros and I will have to say I will not use ST gyros on a quad anymore. If you test with them and get random unexplained drifting and/or trying to flip on landing you may want to swap out the gyros for something else. I am disappointed in my findings but that is what I found none the less so I thought I would share.
pug398 is offline Find More Posts by pug398
Old Apr 30, 2010, 09:56 PM
The Drones are Coming!!!
New York, NY
Joined Feb 2010
473 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pug398 View Post
Well after testing three different types of gyros with the kaptein's design I am here to man up and eat my words. I have tried piezo, Invensense and ST mems gyros and I will have to say I will not use ST gyros on a quad anymore. If you test with them and get random unexplained drifting and/or trying to flip on landing you may want to swap out the gyros for something else. I am disappointed in my findings but that is what I found none the less so I thought I would share.
So I guess all the posts about ST's are turning out to be true...shame..since they seem to be popular and cheap..oh well...

Thank you VERY much for your tests!! GREAT info!
cyborgcnc is offline Find More Posts by cyborgcnc
Old Apr 30, 2010, 11:19 PM
VA
Joined Nov 2009
2,658 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborgcnc View Post
So I guess all the posts about ST's are turning out to be true...shame..since they seem to be popular and cheap..oh well...

Thank you VERY much for your tests!! GREAT info!
Well it is not the only controller design (with ST gyro) that I have had these symptoms with. This is kind of just a confirmation to me that I may have a problem with the other non KK controller.

Also about the spektrum radio and the throttle going wide open on signal loss. It seems once again my cheapness has gotten me into trouble. The parkflyer rx does not have a failsafe in it but the higher dollar full range rx do have failsafe in them so loss of signal causes rx to drop back to safe low throttle setting and they rebind a lot quicker also.
pug398 is offline Find More Posts by pug398
Old Apr 30, 2010, 11:51 PM
Australia, VIC, Narre Warren
Joined Apr 2010
239 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapteinkuk View Post
I will take a look at the different board houses. Anybody got ideas? Someone was talking about Futurlec?
I have been watching this thread with some interest for a while now.

A service i have heard good things about is this one.

http://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/ope...e-c-64_12.html

The wiki for info is here.

http://www.seeedstudio.com/wiki/inde...=Opensourcepcb

Nice place to get a small run for testing and then i think they are able to make a bigger run as well. either they can sell though there site or send to the orderer,

Also they do discounts for open source designs, i think this should qualify.

Keep up the good work , this looks like it is a great project that is getting better.

If you are going to design a board i would suggest adding small via's for any unused i/o left on the micro as then it could be used later for future idea's.

a couple of idea's i had for using some of the extra i/o left on the chip are.

1. possibly include a low voltage cutout onboard. with some sort of output to a buzzer/led etc.

or

2. use the extra inputs to add an acceleromitor etc.

Either way great work keep it up, Hopefully in a month or so i will be making my own. If boards get produced i will be looking to buy some of them
Scorpia is offline Find More Posts by Scorpia
Old May 01, 2010, 01:59 AM
calicut
Joined Feb 2010
16 Posts
can i use the atmega88 taken out from hk401B old version (mystery gyrd) in the quadrotor v4
nitc is offline Find More Posts by nitc
Last edited by nitc; May 01, 2010 at 02:39 AM.
Old May 01, 2010, 03:53 AM
manuLRK
Belgium
Joined Sep 2004
1,529 Posts
Quote:

BTW...I did this today with tonertransfer and magazine paper - it took a few tries to get the writing to transfer good, but I am pretty pleased with the result. The writing is 0.15 mm thick!

I just realized I am out of 0.6 mm drill bits....off to buy some tomorrow..
I want to try the toner transfer method.
Is there a link to a pdf (image) file so I can directly send it to my laser printer?

Thanks,
ManuLRK
alll is offline Find More Posts by alll
Old May 01, 2010, 04:02 AM
3rd stone from the sun
Joined May 2007
2,671 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alll View Post
I want to try the toner transfer method.
Is there a link to a pdf (image) file so I can directly send it to my laser printer?

Thanks,
ManuLRK
Hi Manu.

Look in the very first post in thread. There is a link to the PCBs I designed....PDFs are there also. If you have a little patience you can wait for me to put up the new square design. I made that yesterday night, and I need to look it over with fresh eyes.....doing that now

Jussi
RCG Plus Member
Old May 01, 2010, 04:37 AM
manuLRK
Belgium
Joined Sep 2004
1,529 Posts
Quote:
Hi Manu.

Look in the very first post in thread. There is a link to the PCBs I designed....PDFs are there also. If you have a little patience you can wait for me to put up the new square design. I made that yesterday night, and I need to look it over with fresh eyes.....doing that now

Jussi
Definately, the square layout is a good option, that gives more flexibility!

Thanks
Old May 01, 2010, 04:38 AM
manuLRK
Belgium
Joined Sep 2004
1,529 Posts
Quote:
Hi Manu.

Jussi
Definitely, the square layout is a good option, that gives more flexibility!

Thanks
Old May 01, 2010, 09:40 AM
Joined Mar 2010
379 Posts
hello kapteinkuk,

the function of tricopter is seems to be same as ccp helicopter, instead of motors if we connect the servos it will be a ccp , i have tried with my mini titan heli , but the ppm frequency is 170Hz does not match for servos , so the same board can also be used for collective pitch helicopter stabilization ,

i connected the motors pins of the tricopter with respect to the servos of the ccp heli (mini titan)

connections :

motor left ---> left servo
motor right--->right servo
motor tail ---->elevator servo
tail servo------> tail servo

response:

motor tail ----> elevator servo was reversed
motor right---->right servo was reversed

if it is fixed through code , the same board can be used for ccp helicopter stabilization ,

thanks
ras
quaddynamics is offline Find More Posts by quaddynamics
Last edited by quaddynamics; May 01, 2010 at 07:44 PM.