HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by hoppy, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 08:03 PM
Tallahassee, FL
Joined Sep 2009
1,562 Posts
Just discharging the whole pack a small amount through the main leads would be the easiest way to get the one high cell to a lower level. Have you had high cells with other 6 cell packs? What charger are you using?
Turner2 is offline Find More Posts by Turner2
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 26, 2012, 08:34 PM
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Jul 2007
250 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turner2 View Post
Just discharging the whole pack a small amount through the main leads would be the easiest way to get the one high cell to a lower level. Have you had high cells with other 6 cell packs? What charger are you using?
I have an icharger 1010 and a 106.
All of the 6s are over on one cell as well, and I generally charge them on the 1010.
graniteguy is offline Find More Posts by graniteguy
Old Mar 26, 2012, 11:39 PM
Tallahassee, FL
Joined Sep 2009
1,562 Posts
Have you used any other means, other than the chargers, to verify the voltage on the high cells?
Old Mar 27, 2012, 06:59 PM
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Jul 2007
250 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turner2 View Post
Have you used any other means, other than the chargers, to verify the voltage on the high cells?
I have used an eflight cell checker. All so overall battery voltage with volt meter
graniteguy is offline Find More Posts by graniteguy
Old Apr 11, 2012, 12:58 AM
United States, GA, Statesboro
Joined Nov 2011
116 Posts
every thing iv read so far was on 2 and 3s batt packs. I have a 3000 mah 4s that has LOW VOLTAGE .... using ni-mh what should i be charging to? like i read the 3 cell should say 3.25...........what should a 4s 3000mah say?
HEATEDHAT is offline Find More Posts by HEATEDHAT
Old Apr 11, 2012, 07:15 AM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
21,019 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HEATEDHAT View Post
every thing iv read so far was on 2 and 3s batt packs. I have a 3000 mah 4s that has LOW VOLTAGE .... using ni-mh what should i be charging to? like i read the 3 cell should say 3.25...........what should a 4s 3000mah say?
They are saying each cell should be 3.25V
4s x 3.25 = 13V

But it is better to also check each cell for voltage along with the whole pack. If it were mine, I would charge it to 11V and then check each cell. If they were close in voltage I would then charge it to 12V and check again. If they are still close I'd then charge to 13V. After that I'd use the LiPo charge.

IMPORTANT!! Do not charge a lipo on a NiMH setting unattended.

Remember, low voltage packs can be damaged goods so treat them appropriately.
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old Apr 12, 2012, 06:52 AM
Whoooo!
Summerville, SC
Joined Jan 2009
1,717 Posts
To add to what Hoppy said, I usually charge it JUST long enough to get the lipo charger to accept the battery again. This usually does noA t take very long at all. A 1-5min. Charge at the lowest amperage possible when bringing it up, and continue with a low amp charge once switching to the lipo charger.
StormJunkie is offline Find More Posts by StormJunkie
Old May 13, 2012, 11:23 PM
Joined May 2012
60 Posts
thank you OP!!
i am the new starter of flying, these are really what i need!!!
Santoyo is offline Find More Posts by Santoyo
Old May 26, 2012, 02:10 AM
Registered FFF Addict
Grand Junction, Colorado
Joined Dec 2007
2,930 Posts
I have 3 lipos... 2 - 2200mah 3s and 1 - 3000mah 4s. I bought them a year ago and the have lived in a soft material lined aluminum case along with around 10 other batteries. I have around every 3 or 4 months put them all on balance charge to top them up. The three aforementioned batteries have never been used, but become puffed and completely dead some time in the last 3 months... I mean by dead the cell tester won't even light up. What happened do they have a shelf life and why didn't any of the others (some older) not do this? Any help would be appreciated.

Larry
larryross is offline Find More Posts by larryross
Old May 26, 2012, 11:30 AM
Tallahassee, FL
Joined Sep 2009
1,562 Posts
They do have a shelf life but additionally they should not be stored fully charged. LiPo's should be stored at approximately 3.8-3.9 volts per cell. The exact voltage is not important as long as it is near the 50% charge level. Storing fully charged or near the lower limit of 3 volts per cell are both bad and cause accelerated damage.
Old Jun 04, 2012, 06:29 PM
I think I'm inverted. Maybe.
United States, CA, Pacifica
Joined Apr 2012
1,509 Posts
I don't have a NiMh charger that I can adjust the current/voltage on. I do have a NiMh charger that can either put out 9.6v or 4.8v. For a 2S battery, would either of those work?
acetech09 is offline Find More Posts by acetech09
Old Jun 04, 2012, 07:07 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
21,019 Posts
What is the voltage of each cell now? If you don't know that, what about the pack voltage?

Next question - what is the current output from the chargers? Is it variable?
Old Jun 04, 2012, 07:38 PM
I think I'm inverted. Maybe.
United States, CA, Pacifica
Joined Apr 2012
1,509 Posts
I think both cells are sitting at about .8 volts. The charger is an old Hitec NiMh charger for my 72mHz. It charges at 80mAh. If those don't work, that's fine. I'm getting a better charger soon that has NiMh capability. I just don't know the optimal voltage for jumpstarting a LiPo.
acetech09 is offline Find More Posts by acetech09
Old Jun 04, 2012, 10:47 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
21,019 Posts
That's very low and the cells are probably irreversibly damaged.

I'd replace the pack. I don't recommend it but the tx charger could be used to get the cells up to 3.2v/cell..... when doing this, you have to monitor the voltage continuously so it doesn't go much above 3.2v/cell. If the pack has or does puff, don't even try this procedure.

Be careful, the pack is now damaged goods and therefore more dangerous to use.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 02:36 PM
scotland
Joined Jul 2003
209 Posts
evening gents/ladies'
I am at present trying to recharge a cheapy hong kong 2200 2s battery that I stored fully charged about a year ago and forgot about, due to moving house the output from the pack was about 2.4 volts so pretty knackered , so if it charges up all well and good if not it goes into the recycle bin at work....... Iconnected it to my old JP (celectra) 1-3 cell charger , the output was so low the cells wouldn't accept a charge and the charger went off line... I then thought I'd try charging as a single cell lipo and see if the cells would take a charge.... this they did ...left it on the charger for 15 minutes,charging at 500 m amps then flicked the cell switch to 2 cells ....didnt work the first couple of timesbut eventually the charger went on line .... I am sitting here watching the voltmeter sitting around7.7 - 7.8 volts , the charger is working and hopefully I'll have a charged cell back. It is however not staying indoors tonight....
gordynic is online now Find More Posts by gordynic
Last edited by gordynic; Jun 12, 2012 at 02:45 PM.